1984 David Lynch version of Dune on 4K in August
Amazon Commissions Earned
The 1984 film adaptation of “Dune” directed by David Lynch is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray in the form of both a Limited Edition 2-Disc set and a 3-Disc SteelBook set on August 31st via Arrow Video.
The film, based on a novel by Frank Herbert, starred Kyle MacLachlan, Virginia Madsen, Francesca Annis, Brad Dourif, Everett McGill, Freddie Jones, Linda Hunt, José Ferrer, Patrick Stewart, Sean Young, Max von Sydow, Alicia Witt, Richard Jordan, and Sting.
The 4K UHD Blu-ray release comes from a new 4K restoration (from the original camera negative). The tech specs for the releases include a 2160p video presentation in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio in both HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of High Dynamic Range with the original uncompressed (PCM) 2.0 Stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound. You can now find both the 4K UHD Blu-ray Limited Edition and the 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook (pictured below) available for preorder over at Amazon.
The Limited Edition 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook 3-Disc set (pictured above) will include a double-sided foldout poster, with two choices of original theatrical artwork. Meanwhile, the 4K UHD Blu-ray Limited Edition 2-Disc set (pictured below) will include the following physical extras:
- A 60-page perfect-bound book featuring new writing on the film by Andrew Nette, Christian McCrea and Charlie Brigden
- A Large fold-out double-sided poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Dániel Taylor
- Six double-sided, postcard-sized lobby card reproductions
- Limited edition packaging with reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Dániel Taylor
The Limited Edition 4K UHD Blu-ray set will only be 2-Disc with the 4K disc and a Blu-ray bonus disc. The 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook will come as a “dual format” 3-Disc set with both the 4K and Blu-ray Disc (of the film) as well as the Blu-ray bonus disc. The bonus materials set to be included with each version are listed below, after the break.
“Dune” (1984) Limited Edition 4K UHD Blu-ray Bonus Materials:
- Brand new audio commentary by film historian Paul M. Sammon
- Brand new audio commentary by Mike White of The Projection Booth podcast
- Impressions of Dune, a 2003 documentary on the making of the film, featuring interviews with star Kyle MacLachlan, producer Raffaella de Laurentiis, cinematographer Freddie Francis, editor Antony Gibbs and many others
- Designing Dune, a 2005 featurette looking back at the work of production designer Anthony Masters
- Dune FX, a 2005 featurette exploring the special effects in the film
- Dune Models & Miniatures, a 2005 featurette focusing on the model effects in the film
- Dune Costumes, a 2005 featurette looking at the elaborate costume designs seen in the film
- Eleven deleted scenes from the film, with a 2005 introduction by Raffaella de Laurentiis
- Destination Dune, a 1983 featurette originally produced to promote the film at conventions and publicity events
- Theatrical trailers and TV spots
- Extensive image galleries, including hundreds of still photos
- DISC TWO – BONUS DISC (BLU-RAY)
- The Sleeper Must Awaken: Making Dune, a brand new feature-length documentary by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures exploring the making of the film, featuring dozens of new and archive interviews with cast and crew
- Beyond Imagination: Merchandising Dune, a brand new featurette exploring the merchandise created to promote the film, featuring toy collector/producer Brian Sillman (The Toys That Made Us)
- Prophecy Fulfilled: Scoring Dune, a brand new featurette on the film’s music score, featuring interviews with Toto guitarist Steve Lukather, Toto keyboardist Steve Porcaro, and film music historian Tim Greiving
- Brand new interview with make-up effects artist Giannetto de Rossi, filmed in 2020
- Archive interview with production coordinator Golda Offenheim, filmed in 2003
- Archive interview with star Paul Smith, filmed in 2008
- Archive interview with make-up effects artist Christopher Tucker