The 1992 film “Glengarry Glen Ross” directed by James Foley will officially be getting a Collector’s Edition Blu-ray Disc release on June 2nd via Shout Select (Shout! Factory). The film starred Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Alec Baldwin, Ed Harris, Alan Arkin, Kevin Spacey, and Jonathan Pryce. The tech specs and bonus materials for the release have not yet been detailed but stay tuned for an update later this year. It’s known that a set of new bonus materials are being created by Shout! Factory for this upcoming release which will be announced at a later date. You cannot yet find this Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon, but stay tuned for an update on that. However, you can now find the Blu-ray already available for preorder directly via Shout! Factory’s website.
The 2019 Director’s Cut of “The Current War“ is coming to Blu-ray Disc on March 31st, via Universal, according to retail sources. The film, directed by Alfonso Gomez-Rejon and executive produced by Martin Scorsese, featured a cast including Benedict Cumberbatch, Michael Shannon, Nicholas Hoult, Matthew Macfadyen, Tuppence Middleton, and Tom Holland. The tech specs for the Blu-ray include 1080p HD video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 sound on a BD-50 (50 gigabytes dual-layered) disc. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with a DVD and a digital code (copy) of the film included. You can now find the Blu-ray listed for preorder over at Amazon. The bonus materials set to be included on the release are listed below.
- Deleted Scenes
- Feature Commentary with Director Alfonso Gomez-Rejon
The following new titles will be released February 25th, 2020 on Blu-ray Disc:
View the full list below with Amazon & Best Buy links.
– Amazon Commissions Earned –
The following titles will be released February 25th, 2020 on 4K UHD Blu-ray:
View the full list below with Amazon and retailer links.
– Amazon Commissions Earned –
The 2020 Guy Ritchie [directed] film “The Gentlemen” appears to be coming to both 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on April 21st, via Universal, according to retailers. The film stars Matthew McConaughey, Charlie Hunnam, Henry Golding, Michelle Dockery, Colin Farrell, and Hugh Grant. Tech specs for the 4K UHD Blu-ray include 2160p video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range and Dolby Atmos sound. The tech specs for the Blu-ray include HD video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio and Dolby Atmos sound. Both releases will come in the form of a “combo pack” with the 4K getting the Blu-ray counterpart, the Blu-ray getting a DVD, and each including a digital code (copy) of the film. You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray listed for preorder over at Amazon – one place where the release date is listed. Retailer Best Buy has a placeholder listing up for the Blu-ray so far, with the release date, but stay tuned for it to be updated to preorder listings over there. The bonus materials set to be included are listed below.
- Best Gentlemanly Quips
- Glossary of Cannabis
- Behind the Scenes of The Gentlemen
- Photo Gallery
The remaining films in the “Star Wars” film franchise – so far – are all coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on March 31st it seems, via Disney, according to retailer listings. There will first be a very lavish, expensive box set available (seemingly exclusive) at retailer Best Buy called “The Skywalker Saga” (pictured above) which is now available for preorder. That Skywalker Saga set will include Episodes 1-9 of the films, as well as two Blu-ray Disc counterparts for each film, filled with bonus materials – yet to be detailed. Stay tuned for further details regarding this release as it develops.
Now, as of today, there also are most certainly individual releases for Episodes 1-7 coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on March 31st as well as the film “Rogue One – A Star Wars Story” (2016). It’s certainly worth noting that these titles are now all listed over at retailer Best Buy, individually. So, as you’d expect I’ll be listing the films coming out in theatrical chronological order with direct links to the Best Buy preorder listings – not yet functional but currently placeholder pages. I’ll also come back later and update this post once the Amazon preorder links get listed – if they do anytime soon.
- “Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope” (1977)
- “Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back” (1980)
- “Star Wars: Episode VI – Return of the Jedi” (1983)
- “Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace” (1999)
- “Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones” (2002)
- “Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith” (2005)
- “Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens” (2015)
- “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” (2016)
- “Star Wars: Episode VIII – The Rise of Skywalker” (2019)
NOTE: The final film in the Skywalker Saga (“Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker”) has been announced officially, as you can read HERE in my previous news post regarding it. This story regarding the individual releases is still developing, so once again, stay tuned.
The 2019 sequel “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on March 31st, via Disney. The film, directed by J.J. Abrams, starred Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Anthony Daniels, Naomi Ackie, Domhnall Gleeson, Richard E. Grant, Lupita Nyong’o, Keri Russell, Joonas Suotamo, Kelly Marie Tran, Ian McDiarmid, and Billy Dee Williams. Tech specs for the 4K UHD Blu-ray include 2160p video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range and Dolby Atmos sound. The technical specs for the Blu-ray include HD video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio with DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 sound. Both releases will come in the form of a “combo pack” with the 4K getting its Blu-ray counterpart, the Blu-ray getting the DVD, and each getting a digital code (copy) of the film included. While it’s not yet available over at Amazon, stay tuned. However, you can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray available for preorder over at retailers Best Buy, Target, and Walmart.
The 4K release is going to be getting several exclusives at retailers. The exclusives will include a 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook over at Best Buy (pictured below), Target will get a 4K UHD Blu-ray Gallery Book (pictured below), and a 4K UHD Blu-ray Limited Edition will be exclusive over at Walmart (pictured below). You can click on the retailer names for links to preorder those exclusives.
The bonus materials set to be included on both the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray are listed below.
- The Skywalker Legacy – The story lives forever in this feature-length documentary that charts the making of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.
- Pasaana Pursuit: Creating the Speeder Chase – Dive into the making of the movie’s epic landspeeder chase and discover how this spectacular sequence was brought to the screen.
- Aliens in the Desert – See what it took to create the Pasaana desert scenes, from the sheer scale and complexity of the shoot to its colorful details.
- D-O: Key to the Past – Explore the ship that connects Rey to the mystery of her missing parents and get to know the galaxy’s newest, irresistible droid.
- Warwick & Son – Warwick Davis, who played Wicket in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, dons the Ewok costume once more; this time joined by his son Harrison.
- Cast of Creatures – The team behind the film’s memorable creatures reveal the puppetry, makeup, prosthetics and digital magic that bring them to life!
- Digital Exclusive:
- The Maestro’s Finale – Composer John Williams reflects on his body of work for the Star Wars saga and shares insights on scoring Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.
* Digital bonus offerings may vary by retailer.
Further below, after the break, you can find even further details about the upcoming home video releases of this film via the official announcement.
The 2019 Sam Mendes directed Academy Award-winning film “1917” is officially coming to Blu-ray Disc and 4K UHD Blu-ray on March 24th, via Universal. The film, nominated for a total of 10 and winner of 3 Oscars, starred Dean-Charles Chapman, George MacKay, Daniel Mays, Andrew Scott, Mark Strong, Colin Firth, Richard Madden, and Benedict Cumberbatch. This film was very well-received by both critics and moviegoers as, at the time of writing, it carries a “Certified Fresh” rating over at Rotten Tomatoes.
UPDATE: This title has, as of today (2/21), been officially announced by Universal. The tech specs for the 4K UHD Blu-ray includes 2160p video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio, on a BD-100, in HDR10, HDR10+, and Dolby Vision forms of High Dynamic Range with Dolby Atmos sound. The tech specs for the Blu-ray include 1080p HD video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio, on a BD-50, with Dolby Atmos sound. The bonus materials set to be included are listed below.
BONUS FEATURES ON 4K ULTRA HD, BLU-RAY:
- The Weight of the World: Sam Mendes – Academy Award® winner Sam Mendes discusses his personal connection to World War 1.
- Allied Forces: Making 1917 – Learn how the one shot, 360-degree format was executed and the pivotal role Academy Award® winner Roger Deakins served in bringing Sam Mendes’ vision to life.
- The Music of 1917 – Composer Thomas Newman and filmmakers discuss the important role of the Academy Award®-nominated score.
- In The Trenches – Go behind the scenes with the cast of 1917.
- Recreating History – Filmmakers offer a detailed look at the production design challenges of recreating the First World War.
- Feature Commentary with Director/Co-Writer Sam Mendes.
- Feature Commentary with Director of Photography Roger Deakins.
Both releases will come in the form of a “combo pack” – as seen via artwork – with the 4K getting its Blu-ray counterpart, the Blu-ray getting a DVD and each getting a digital code (copy) of the film included. You can now find both the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc listed for preorder over at Amazon, Best Buy, Target, and Walmart. Lastly, it’s worth mentioning that retailer Best Buy will be getting an exclusive 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook release for the film (pictured below) which is also available for preorder. Further below, after the break, you can find the full announcement regarding the home video release of this film. Continue reading “Sam Mendes film “1917” on Blu-ray and 4K March”
The 2018 film “Wildlife“ starring Carey Mulligan and Jake Gyllenhaal is officially coming to Blu-ray Disc via The Criterion Collection on May 19th. The film, the directorial debut of actor Paul Dano (also co-writer of the screenplay), co-starred Ed Oxenbould, Bill Camp, Zoe Margaret Colletti, and Darryl Cox. The film was extremely well-received by the critics, and in fact, at the time of writing, this still carries a “Certified Fresh” rating over at Rotten Tomatoes. Tech specs for the Criterion Blu-ray include a new 2K digital master video presentation in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound. Spine #1031, the Criterion Blu-ray, is now available for preorder over at Amazon and directly via Criterion. Details about this release and bonus materials set to be included are listed below.
DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
- New 2K digital master, with 5.1 surround DTS HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- New interviews with director Paul Dano, screenwriter Zoe Kazan, actors Carey Mulligan and Jake Gyllenhaal, cinematographer Diego García, production designer Akin McKenzie, and costume designer Amanda Ford
- New conversation on the film’s postproduction with Dano, editor Matthew Hannam, and composer David Lang
- Film at Lincoln Center conversation from 2018 between Dano and novelist Richard Ford about the film’s source material
- PLUS: An essay by critic Mark Harris
- New cover by Duncan Hannah