The 2003 biography/documentary film “Tupac: Resurrection” is coming to Blu-ray Disc on May 25th via Paramount Home Entertainment. The film (made in 2003), directed by Lauren Lazin, takes a look back at the late rapper/actor Tupac Shakur who passed away in 1996. The tech specs for the Blu-ray have not yet been detailed but stay tuned for a possible update on that and if there will be any extras included. For now, you can find the Blu-ray listed as available for preorder over at Amazon.
The 2020 animated TV series “Star Trek: Lower Decks – Season 1” is officially coming to Blu-ray Disc on May 18th via Paramount and CBS. The news comes confirmed via the official StarTrek.com website as of yesterday. The show, created by Mike McMahan, features the voice talents of Tawny Newsome, Jack Quaid, Noël Wells, Dawnn Lewis, and Jerry O’Connell. The Blu-ray release will include all 10 episodes of the first season of the show, presented in 1080p HD video in the 1.78:1 aspect ratio with Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound — as quoted below.
“The Star Trek: Lower Decks: Season One Blu-ray, DVD and Steelbook are presented in (16×9) format with English SDH subtitles and offer English 5.1 Dolby Digital audio.”
You can now find the standard Blu-ray is available for preorder over at Amazon. There will also be a limited edition Blu-ray SteelBook release of the first season available, pictured below, which is also available for preorder over at Amazon.
Below you can find a list of the bonus materials set to be included on this Blu-ray release.
- CRISIS POINT: THE RISE OF VINDICTA TRAILER (Exclusive) – An exclusive, over-the-top action trailer based on the in-episode movie from “Crisis Point.”
- FACES OF THE FLEET – A deep dive into the crew of the U.S.S. Cerritos, alongside producers, writers and the cast of Star Trek: Lower Decks. Highlighting character backstories and the behind-the-scenes development of their hilarious on-screen personalities, this exclusive featurette takes a look at Ensigns Beckett Mariner, Ensign Brad Boimler, Ensign Samanthan Rutherford, Ensign D’Vana Tendi and more.
- HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT (Exclusive) – An inside look at canon and hidden Easter eggs throughout the series, including freeze frame images and insightful commentary from producers, creatives and cast.
- LOWER DECKTIONARY:
- JOINING STARFLEET (Episode 101) (Exclusive) – Producers and crew discuss the development of season one from storyline to visual artistry.
- ALIENS AMONG US (Episode 102) (Exclusive) – Dives into the different aliens Ensigns Brad Boimler and Beckett Mariner encounter as they escort K’orin to the Tulgana 4 planet.
- THE ANIMATION PROCESS (Episode 103) (Exclusive) – A look at the efficiency and creativity needed to put together an episode of Lower Decks in this other-worldly look at the animation process.
- THE MAIN TITLES (Episode 104) (Exclusive) – Immersed in the creation of the episode’s title sequence, the featurette explores the graphic design and thematic music developed for Lower Decks.
- ART DESIGN (Episode 105) (Exclusive) – A look at characters’ style and the sets that elevate the animated on-screen adventures of the U.S.S. Cerritos. .
- THE HOLODECK (Episode 106) (Exclusive) – Including interviews with cast and creatives, the featurette highlights what Holodeck experience they would like, how characters use it, and how it’s not only used for skills training, but sanity.
- DIVISION 14 (Episode 107) (Exclusive) – Not everything goes right for Starfleet – catch up with Division 14 who is tasked with dealing with all the unexpected mishaps.
- DECK DYNAMICS (Episode 108) (Exclusive) – A dive into the upper and lower deck dynamics, and how their comedic interactions contribute to the storyline throughout season one.
- THE MUSIC OF LOWER DECKS (Episode 109) (Exclusive) – Star Trek music is iconic. Explore how traditional themes have been integrated into Lower Decks and the episode’s in-story movie in this deep dive into the differences of scoring for animation versus live action, and comedy versus drama.
- ALL IN THE FAMILY (Episode 110) – As the debut comes to a close, fans can take a look at evolution of the crew and their relationships over the last year, and how Lower Decks fits into the Star Trek family as a few legacy characters appear.
- FULL LENGTH ANIMATIC (Exclusive)
- DELETED AND EXTENDED ANIMATICS (Exclusive)
The 2020 film “News of the World” is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on March 23rd via Universal Studios Home Entertainment. The film, directed by Paul Greengrass, stars Tom Hanks and Helena Zengel. This film is “Certified Fresh” over at Rotten Tomatoes at the time of writing. The tech specs for the 4K UHD Blu-ray release include a 2160p presentation in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of high dynamic range and Dolby Atmos sound, on a BD-66 disc. Tech specs for the Blu-ray include a 1080p HD presentation in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio and Dolby Atmos sound, on a BD-50 disc. Both releases will come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning that the 4K will come with its Blu-ray counterpart, the Blu-ray will come with its DVD counterpart, and each will include a digital code (copy) of the film. You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray and the Blu-ray both listed for preorder over at Amazon. The bonus materials set to be included with each release are listed below.
- DELETED SCENES
- PARTNERS: TOM HANKS & HELENA ZENGEL – Witness the successful (and very fun) working relationship of movie veteran Tom Hanks and newcomer Helena Zengel.
- WESTERN ACTION – Explore the creation of NEWS OF THE WORLD‘s most exciting and challenging scenes.
- PAUL GREENGRASS MAKES NEWS OF THE WORLD – A look at how director Paul Greengrass assembled the very best filmmaking team to realize a lifelong ambition of making a western.
- THE KIOWA – Filmmakers explain why the authentic representation of the Kiowa was so important to them.
- FEATURE COMMENTARY WITH CO-WRITER/DIRECTOR PAUL GREENGRASS
Further below, after the break, you can find the trailers for the home video release and for the film itself, as well as the full announcement about the home video release of the film.
The 1974 cult-classic comedy “The Groove Tube” is finally coming to Blu-ray Disc on May 25th via Hen’s Tooth Video. The film, directed and co-written by Ken Shapiro, starred Chevy Chase, Richard Belzer, and Ken Shapiro. The tech specs for the release include a 1080p HD presentation in the original 1.85:1 aspect ratio from a new 4K restoration, as detailed and quoted below. No word yet on the audio configuration or format.
“Restoration by Gamma Ray Digital from a 4K scan of 35mm archival film materials in the collections of the Library of Congress.”
The 2001 film “The Last Castle” will finally be making its Blu-ray Disc debut on May 25th via Paramount Home Entertainment. The tech specs for the release and bonus materials have yet to be detailed but stay tuned for an update on that. This news comes confirmed via Justin Beahm who worked on the bonus materials for this release with his Reverend Entertainment and discussed the privilege it was to work on the release today on his site. The film, directed by Rod Lurie, starred Robert Redford, James Gandolfini, Mark Ruffalo, and Delroy Lindo. You can now find the Blu-ray listed as available to preorder over at Amazon.
The four original theatrical “Peanuts” films featuring “Charlie Brown” and “Snoopy” will be getting a special release that’s being called the “Snoopy Collection” on Blu-ray Disc on May 18th, via Paramount Home Entertainment and CBS Home Entertainment. The set will officially include the following four feature-length films:
- “A Boy Named Charlie Brown” (1969)
- “Snoopy Come Home” (1972)
- “Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown” (1977) *
- “Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown (and Don’t Come Back!!)” (1980) *
Bill Melendez directed all four films and the last two were co-directed by Phil Roman. The tech specs for each of the films in the Blu-ray set have not yet been detailed, but I’d speculate you will see all four films in their original aspect ratios with 5.1 surround sound and perhaps their original 2.0 Stereo sound mixes. We shall soon hopefully know for certain. That’s where I’ll point out that this title actually has not yet been officially announced, so hopefully, we will get more details on those tech specs soon or I’ll ask the studio (and/or CBS) tomorrow. In the meantime, you can find the Blu-ray set is already available for preorder over at Amazon. UPDATE: This title has now been officially announced by Paramount. No bonus materials appear to be included with the release. I’m awaiting a reply from the studio regarding the tech specs such as the audio format(s) and aspect ratios for the four films. Stay tuned for an update!
Lastly, it is worth noting (and was *) that two of these, the latter films, will be making their debut to the Blu-ray Disc format with this release. Furthermore, one would believe that these two are essentially exclusives for it now. The first two films were previously released on Blu-ray both individually and together back in 2016.
Below, after the break, you can now find the official announcement regarding this home video release.
The 1968 Academy Award-winning film “Rosemary’s Baby” is getting a standard Blu-ray Disc release on May 25th, via Paramount Home Entertainment, according to retailers. The film, directed by Roman Polanski, starred Mia Farrow, John Cassavetes, Ruth Gordon, Sidney Blackmer, Ralph Bellamy, and Charles Grodin. The tech specs for the Blu-ray have not yet been detailed but stay tuned for an update. It is known that the release will come with a digital code (copy) of the film. You can now find the Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon.
The 2000 film “The Legend of Bagger Vance” will be finally making its debut to the Blu-ray Disc format on May 25th, via Paramount Home Entertainment, according to retailers. The film, directed by Robert Redford, starred Will Smith, Matt Damon, Charlize Theron, and Jack Lemmon as the narrator. Tech specs for the Blu-ray include a 1080p HD presentation in the original 1.85:1 aspect ratio and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound. Yes, no lossless surround sound mix will be found on this release according to the back package art. You can now find the Blu-ray listed for preorder over at Amazon. The bonus materials set to be included with the release are listed below.
- Robert Redford: Insight Into The Legend of Bagger Vance
- Production Featurette
- Theatrical Teaser Trailer
- Theatrical Trailer