The 2019 documentary “Apollo 11“ featuring astronauts Buzz Aldrin, Neil Armstrong, and Michael Collins is rumored to be coming to Blu-ray Disc on May 14th via Universal, according to an early alert to retailers. The film shows never-before-seen large-format film footage from the first moon landing and was directed by Todd Douglas Miller. At the time of writing this, it carries a perfect 100% rating and is “Certified Fresh” over at Rotten Tomatoes, a little over a month ahead of its March theatrical release. The studio has yet to officially announce this title so there’s not any tech specs or bonus materials info to share with you (yet), but stay tuned. The release will come with a digital copy of the film included (as seen in the early artwork). You can find the Blu-ray available for pre-order over at Best Buy, where the release date is listed. There’s no listing yet over at Amazon, but again, stay tuned for an update. Lastly, sadly there would seem to be no plans for a 4K UHD Blu-ray release of this title.
The 2018 sequel “Mary Poppins Returns” starring Emily Blunt is coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on March 19th via Disney. The film, directed by Rob Marshall & nominated for 4 Oscars, co-stars Lin-Manuel Miranda, Ben Whishaw, Emily Mortimer, Julie Walters, Meryl Streep, and Colin Firth. Tech specs for the 4K include 2160p video in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of high dynamic range and DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound. The tech specs for the Blu-ray include 1080p video in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio and DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound. Each release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with the 4K getting a Blu-ray, the Blu-ray getting a DVD, and each getting a digital copy of the film included. The 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray are both available to pre-order over at Best Buy, but only the Blu-ray is currently listed on Amazon. Stay tuned for an update on that. There will be a Steelbook exclusive to retailer Best Buy for the 4K UHD Blu-ray release, which you can pre-order now and find pictured below.
Both releases will include the following bonus materials.
- Deleted Song—“The Anthropomorphic Zoo” – In this early song sequence, Mary Poppins and the children visit a very special zoo where the humans and animals trade places.
- The Practically Perfect Making of “Mary Poppins Returns” – Join filmmakers and cast on an amazing journey to embrace the legacy of the original film while making a fresh modern sequel.
- Introduction – Filmmakers and cast remember the first Mary Poppins movie and share the thrill of working on “Mary Poppins Returns.”
- “(Underneath the) Lovely London Sky” – Discover how the team mined PL Travers’ books for a fresh perspective on a much-loved character. Plus, meet the Banks children!
- “Can You Imagine That?” – Be on location for Mary’s iconic entrance from the sky, and explore the movie’s original songs, inspired by the Sherman Brothers.
- “Nowhere to Go but Up” – Experience being on set with the legendary Dick Van Dyke and Angela Lansbury, and celebrate the joy of choosing the right balloon!
- Seeing Things From a Different Point of View”: The Musical Numbers of “Mary Poppins Returns” – Go behind the scenes and experience the film’s production numbers from a new angle.
- “Trip a Little Light Fantastic” – Led by Lin-Manuel Miranda, the cast performs the film’s biggest production number, with dancing lamplighters, bicyclists and more!
- “The Royal Doulton Music Hall” / “A Cover Is Not the Book” – Find out what it takes to create two musical extravaganzas inside an animated world, highlighted by dancing animated penguins!
- “Turning Turtle” – Mary’s eccentric cousin, Topsy Turvy, played by Meryl Streep, has an unusual house that turns this musical number upside-down.
- “Can You Imagine That?” – Dive under the bubbles with the cast and crew to see how this exuberant number was created.
- Back to Cherry Tree Lane: Dick Van Dyke Returns – Dick Van Dyke, who played Bert and Mr. Dawes Sr. in the first film, returns after 54 years to Cherry Tree Lane as Mr. Dawes Jr.
- Practically Perfect Bloopers – There’s nowhere to go but up with the cast and crew in this lighthearted collection of flubs, goofs and prop fails!
- Deleted Scenes
- Leaving Topsy’s – After their visit to Cousin Topsy, Mary, Jack and the children pause to take a look back.
- “Trip a Little Light Fantastic” – The leeries light up the screen in this extended clip from the movie’s biggest musical production.
- Play Movie in Sing-Along Mode – Sing along with all your favorite songs as you watch the movie.
- Play Movie with Audio Commentary – Watch the film with commentary by director Rob Marshall and producer John DeLuca. [Digital Exclusive]
Further below, after the break, you can find the official announcement for these upcoming releases.
The 2018 Adam McKay film “Vice“ starring Christian Bale is coming to Blu-ray Disc on April 2nd via Fox. The film, nominated for 8 Oscars, co-stars Amy Adams, Steve Carell, Sam Rockwell, Alison Pill, Eddie Marsan, Justin Kirk, LisaGay Hamilton, and Jesse Plemons. Tech specs for the Blu-ray release include 1080p video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio with DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio – mislabeled in the press release. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with a DVD and digital copy of the film included. The Blu-ray is now available for pre-order over at Amazon. Bonus materials set to be included on the release are listed below.
- Deleted Scenes
- High School
- Gaming the System: The Making of VICE
- The Music of Power
Further below, after the break, you can find the official announcement for this upcoming release.
The 2019 sequel “Happy Death Day 2U“ is rumored to be coming to Blu-ray Disc on May 14th via Universal, according to early alerts to retailers. I am only saying this is a rumor as the studio has not yet officially announced this title. The film, produced by Blumhouse & directed by Christopher Landon, includes a cast of Jessica Rothe, Israel Broussard, Phi Vu, Suraj Sharma, Sarah Yarkin, Rachel Matthews, and Ruby Modine. There is no info yet regarding tech specs or bonus materials set to be included on the release. It is known that it will come in the form of a “combo pack” with a DVD and digital copy of the film included. The Blu-ray is already available to pre-order over at Amazon and it even has a placeholder over at Best Buy (with the release date listed). Stay tuned for any updates on this release.
The 2019 film “The Upside“ starring Kevin Hart and Bryan Cranston is rumored to be coming to Blu-ray Disc on May 14th via Universal, according to early alerts to retailers. I am only saying this is a rumor as the studio has not yet officially announced this title. The film, directed by Neil Burger, co-stars Nicole Kidman, Aja Naomi King, Jahi Di’Allo Winston, Genevieve Angelson, Golshifteh Farahani, Tate Donovan, and Julianna Margulies. There is no info yet regarding tech specs or bonus materials set to be included on the release. It is known that it will come in the form of a “combo pack” with a DVD and digital copy of the film included. The Blu-ray is available to pre-order over at Amazon and even has a placeholder over at Best Buy (with the release date listed). Stay tuned for any updates on this release.
CONTEST time yet again here at High Def Disc News! We are going to be having a giveaway where one lucky winner will receive “Overlord“ on 4K UHD Blu-ray from Paramount, which was just released today (February 19th).
CONTEST RULES: You must be a United States resident and your mailing address cannot be a P.O. Box. Make sure you read that carefully and are qualified to enter.
You can find out how to enter below, after the break.
The following titles will be released February 19th, 2019 on Blu-ray Disc:
View the full list below with Amazon links.
The following titles will be released February 19th, 2019 on 4K UHD Blu-ray:
View the full list below with Amazon links.