Tag Archives: David Lynch
Amazon Commissions Earned
Amazon Commissions Earned
The 2001 film “Mulholland Drive“ is officially coming to the 4K UHD Blu-ray format on November 16th via The Criterion Collection. The film, written & directed by David Lynch, starred Naomi Watts, Laura Harring, Justin Theroux, Billy Ray Cyrus, Lori Heuring, Charles Croughwell, Mark Pellegrino, and Robert Forster.
The movie has received a 4K restoration that was supervised by David Lynch the cinematographer Peter Deming, as detailed below.
“In the 4K UHD edition: New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director David Lynch and director of photography Peter Deming, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack (4K UHD disc only).”
“In the 4K UHD edition: One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR …”
The tech specs for the 4K UHD Blu-ray include a 2160p video presentation in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of high dynamic range and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 lossless surround sound. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning that it will include its Blu-ray Disc counterpart. You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon and directly via the Criterion website. The bonus materials and details about the release can be found listed below.
- On the Blu-ray and DVD: Restored 4K digital transfer, supervised by Director David Lynch and director of photography Peter Deming, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Interviews from 2015 with Lynch; Deming; actors Naomi Watts, Justin Theroux, and Laura Harring; composer Angelo Badalamenti; production designer Jack Fisk; and casting director Johanna Ray
- On-set footage
- Deleted scene
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an interview with Lynch from the 2005 edition of filmmaker and writer Chris Rodley’s book Lynch on Lynch
- New Cover by Fred Davis
The 1984 film adaptation of “Dune” directed by David Lynch is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray in the form of both a Limited Edition 2-Disc set and a 3-Disc SteelBook set on August 31st via Arrow Video.
The film, based on a novel by Frank Herbert, starred Kyle MacLachlan, Virginia Madsen, Francesca Annis, Brad Dourif, Everett McGill, Freddie Jones, Linda Hunt, José Ferrer, Patrick Stewart, Sean Young, Max von Sydow, Alicia Witt, Richard Jordan, and Sting.
The 4K UHD Blu-ray release comes from a new 4K restoration (from the original camera negative). The tech specs for the releases include a 2160p video presentation in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio in both HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of High Dynamic Range with the original uncompressed (PCM) 2.0 Stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound. You can now find both the 4K UHD Blu-ray Limited Edition and the 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook (pictured below) available for preorder over at Amazon.
The Limited Edition 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook 3-Disc set (pictured above) will include a double-sided foldout poster, with two choices of original theatrical artwork. Meanwhile, the 4K UHD Blu-ray Limited Edition 2-Disc set (pictured below) will include the following physical extras:
- A 60-page perfect-bound book featuring new writing on the film by Andrew Nette, Christian McCrea and Charlie Brigden
- A Large fold-out double-sided poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Dániel Taylor
- Six double-sided, postcard-sized lobby card reproductions
- Limited edition packaging with reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Dániel Taylor
The Limited Edition 4K UHD Blu-ray set will only be 2-Disc with the 4K disc and a Blu-ray bonus disc. The 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook will come as a “dual format” 3-Disc set with both the 4K and Blu-ray Disc (of the film) as well as the Blu-ray bonus disc. The bonus materials set to be included with each version are listed below, after the break.
The 1980 film “The Elephant Man“ directed by David Lynch is finally coming to Blu-ray Disc, via The Criterion Collection, on September 29th. The film starred Anthony Hopkins, John Hurt, and Anne Bancroft. The release comes from a director-approved new 4K restoration of the film, which is presented in Black & white in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio with an uncompressed (PCM) 2.0 Stereo sound mix. The Blu-ray is now available for preorder over at Amazon. The details about the release and a list of bonus materials set to be included can be found listed below.
- New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed stereo soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Director David Lynch and critic Kristine McKenna reading from Room to Dream, a 2018 book they coauthored
- Archival interviews with Lynch, actor John Hurt, producers Mel Brooks and Jonathan Sanger, director of photography Freddie Francis, stills photographer Frank Connor, and makeup artist Christopher Tucker
- Audio recording from 1981 of an interview and Q&A with Lynch at the American Film Institute
- The Terrible Elephant Man Revealed, a 2001 documentary about the film
- Trailer and radio spots
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- PLUS: A booklet featuring excerpts from an interview with Lynch from the 2005 edition of filmmaker and writer Chris Rodley’s book Lynch on Lynch, and an 1886 letter to the editor of the London Times concerning Joseph Merrick, the “elephant man,” by Francis Culling Carr Gomm, chairman of the London Hospital at the time
- New cover by Sister Hyde
A “Twin Peaks: From Z to A“ box set is officially coming to Blu-ray Disc on December 10th via CBS and Paramount. This set will include the entire TV series from 1990 and the TV series from 2017, as well as the movies “Fire Walk With Me” (1992) and “Twin Peaks: The Missing Pieces” (2014). The show, co-created by Mark Frost and David Lynch, starred Kyle MacLachlan, Michael Ontkean, Mädchen Amick, Richard Beymer, Dana Ashbrook, Lara Flynn Boyle, Sherilyn Fenn, Warren Frost, Peggy Lipton, James Marshall, Jack Nance, Joan Chen, Kimmy Robertson, Harry Goaz, Eric DaRe, Everett McGill, Wendy Robie, and Ray Wise.
This set will be a limited edition run with only 25,000 produced. Tech specs have not yet been fully detailed for the set but stay tuned for a possible update. There will be an exclusive 4K UHD Blu-ray disc included in this set that features two episodes restored in 4K, via transfers overseen by David Lynch.
UPDATE: There’s now a pre-order for the “From Z to A“ Blu-ray box set over at Amazon. There’s going to be some really elaborate packaging for this release which you can have a closer look at HERE and below.
Lastly, it’s worth noting that a “Twin Peaks: The Television Collection“ Blu-ray Disc set will also be released on October 15th (pictured below). UPDATE: That set is now available for pre-order over at Amazon.
Bonus materials set to be included on the “Twin Peaks: From Z to A” set are listed below.
Newly-Produced Special Features And Unreleased Behind-The-Scenes Footage
TWIN PEAKS: FROM Z TO A will include over six hours of all-new special features:
- From the extensive behind-the-scenes footage of David Lynch making the A Limited Event Series (shot primarily by Jason S), 20-30 minute (approx.) pieces titled “Behind the Curtain” were edited and are included for each of the 18 Parts.
- A rare newly-shot interview of Kyle MacLachlan and Sheryl Lee who sit with longtime David Lynch collaborator Kristine McKenna to look back at their body of work on Twin Peaks as well as Fire Walk With Me.
- In a newly-produced featurette, fans can go “On the Couch” with Harry and Kimmy as Harry Goaz and Kimmy Robertson share fond Twin Peaks memories.
- As an additional treat for fans of A Limited Event Series, a compilation of full-length, unedited versions of many of The Roadhouse Bar musical performances.
- 4K Ultra HD Upgrades
Highlighting the visual artistry and sound design of two seminal episodes/parts, a special 4K UHD disc will be included that features a new ultra-high def transfer overseen by David Lynch of both versions of the 1990 Twin Peaks pilot, as well as the “phenomenal” (The New York Times) and “horrifyingly beautiful” (Vulture) Part 8 of A Limited Event Series.
- TWIN PEAKS: FROM Z TO A will also include all existing special features from the previous releases of Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery (including The Missing Pieces) and Twin Peaks: A Limited Event Series, culminating in over 20 total hours of new and existing special feature content.
Further below, after the break, you can find the full announcement regarding the upcoming Blu-ray Disc set releases of this show.
The 1997 David Lynch directed film “Lost Highway“ is officially coming to Blu-ray Disc on June 25th, via Kino Lorber Studio Classics. The film starred Bill Pullman, Patricia Arquette, Robert Blake, Gary Busey, Robert Loggia, Balthazar Getty, and Richard Pryor. Tech specs and bonus materials for the release have not yet been detailed, but stay tuned for a later update from KL Studio Classics. The Blu-ray is now available to pre-order over at Amazon and also directly from Kino Lorber.