Martin Scorsese film Raging Bull on 4K in July
The 1980 film “Raging Bull“ is officially getting new releases on the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray formats on July 12th via The Criterion Collection. The film, directed by Martin Scorsese and based on the life story of boxer Jake LaMotta, starred Robert De Niro, Cathy Moriarty, Joe Pesci, Frank Vincent, Nicholas Colasanto, Theresa Saldana, and Mario Gallo.
This comes from a “new 4K digital master, approved by director Martin Scorsese.” Tech specs for the 4K release include a 2160p Black & White video presentation in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of high dynamic range, spanning across a 2-disc “combo pack,” with DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 surround lossless sound. The tech specs for the Blu-ray include a 1080p HD video Black & White presentation in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio and DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 surround sound.
You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc versions available for preorder over at Amazon, as well as directly via Criterion‘s website. The bonus materials set to be included with the release, included on the Blu-ray, are listed below as well as some physical extras and info regarding the cover artwork.
- In the 4K UHD edition: One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
- New video essays by film critics Geoffrey O’Brien and Sheila O’Malley on Scorsese’s mastery of formal techniques and the film’s triumvirate of characters
- Three audio commentaries, featuring Scorsese and editor Thelma Schoonmaker; director of photography Michael Chapman, producers Robert Chartoff and Irwin Winkler, casting director Cis Corman, music consultant Robbie Robertson, actors Theresa Saldana and John Turturro, and sound-effects supervising editor Frank Warner; and boxer Jake La Motta and screenwriters Mardik Martin and Paul Schrader
- Fight Night, a making-of program featuring Scorsese and key members of the cast and crew
- Three short programs highlighting the longtime collaboration between Scorsese and actor Robert De Niro
- Television interview from 1981 with actor Cathy Moriarty and the real Vikki La Motta
- Interview with Jake La Motta from 1990
- Program from 2004 featuring veteran boxers reminiscing about La Motta
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- PLUS: Essays by poet Robin Robertson and film critic Glenn Kenny
- New cover by Eric Skillman