1992 Bill Duke film Deep Cover gets Criterion Blu-ray in July
The 1992 film “Deep Cover” directed by Bill Duke is officially getting a Blu-ray Disc release on July 13th from The Criterion Collection. The film starred Laurence Fishburne, Jeff Goldblum, Lira Angel, Victoria Dillard, Gregory Sierra, James T. Morris, Julio Oscar Mechoso, and Clifton Powell.
The film has received a new director-approved digital 4K restoration. Tech specs for the release include a 1080p HD video presentation in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio with DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 surround sound. You can now find The Criterion Collection Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon and directly via Criterion. The bonus materials set to be included with the release are listed below.
- New interview with director Bill Duke
- New conversation between film scholars Racquel J. Gates and Michael B. Gillespie about Deep Cover’s place within both the Black film boom of the early 1990s and the noir genre
- New conversation between scholar Claudrena N. Harold and professor, DJ, and podcaster Oliver Wang about the film’s title track and its importance to the history of hip-hop
- Panel discussion from 2018 featuring Duke and Fishburne and moderated by film critic Elvis Mitchell
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- PLUS: An essay by Gillespie
- New cover illustration by Ngabo “El’Cesart” Desire