Psycho is getting a standard 4K and a new SteelBook in May
The 1960 classic film “Psycho” directed by Alfred Hitchcock will be getting both an individual standard 4K UHD Blu-ray release (pictured above) and a new 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook release (pictured below) on May 25th via Universal Studios Home Entertainment, according to retailers. This will include 2 versions of the film with “Psycho Uncut” (an extended cut as seen originally in theaters) as well as the standard version mostly seen in TV broadcasts and for the theatrical re-releases and on previous releases on physical media. The tech specs for the 4K release include a Black & White video presentation in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of high dynamic range and DTS:X sound as well as the original Mono mix presented in 2.0 Dolby Digital.
This film itself was previously released on the 4K format last September as a part of a Hitchcock-themed 4K set, and it’s even worth noting that the film received an individual release via a previous 4K SteelBook as well that same September of 2020. Hitchcock’s 1960 film starred Anthony Perkins, Janet Leigh, Vera Miles, John Gavin, and Martin Balsam. Both the standard and the new 4K SteelBook will come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning they’ll include the Blu-ray Disc counterpart as well as a digital code (copy) of the film.
UPDATE: You can now find the standard 4K UHD Blu-ray listed as available for preorder over at Amazon, as well as over at retailer Target. Stay tuned for an update on when Amazon or any other retailers get that listed. The new 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook (pictured above), as mentioned, it appears is going to be exclusive to retailer Best Buy where it is currently listed as coming soon, and not yet a fully functional preorder listing. Just keep checking the page over there for an update. The bonus materials that are contained on both 4K and Blu-ray included with the release run rather lengthy, and because of that, you can find them along with the full technical specs listed entirely below after the break.
BONUS FEATURES ON PSYCHO 4K ULTRA HD:
- The Making of Psycho
- Psycho Sound
- In The Master’s Shadow: Hitchcock’s Legacy
- Hitchcock/Truffaut – “In 1962, filmmaker François Truffaut, aided by his translator and associate, Helen G. Scott, spent numerous hours interviewing Alfred Hitchcock for his book, “Hitchcock”. The audio recording of those interviews provides the soundtrack to this montage of film clips and stills, giving audiences a deeper insight into one of Alfred Hitchcock’s masterpieces.
- Newsreel Footage: The Release of Psycho
- The Shower Scene: with and without Music
- The Shower Sequence: Storyboards by Saul Bass
- The Psycho Archives
- Posters and Psycho Ads
- Lobby Cards
- Behind-the-Scenes Photographs
- Production Photographs
- Psycho Theatrical Trailers
- Psycho Re-release Trailer
- Feature Commentary with Stephen Rebello, author of “Alfred Hitchcock and The Making of Psycho“
PSYCHO TECHNICAL INFORMATION 4K:
Street Date: September 8, 2020
Selection Number: 61212451 (US) / 61212455 (CDN)
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 1.85:1 Widescreen
Subtitles: English SDH, French Canadian, Latin American Spanish
Video: 2160p UHD HDR 10 Widescreen 1.85.1
Languages/Sound: English DTS:X, English Digital Surround 2.0 Mono ; French European DTS Digital Surround 2.0 Mono ; Latin American Spanish DTS Digital Surround 2.0 Mono
Run Time: Theatrical – 01:48:44 , Extended – 01:48:57