Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai on Blu-ray
The 1999 film “Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai“ is getting a Blu-ray Disc release on November 17th via The Criterion Collection. The film was written & directed by Jim Jarmusch, featured an original soundtrack by RZA (of the Wu-Tang Clan), and starred Forest Whitaker. The film’s cast also included John Tormey, Cliff Gorman, Richard Portnow, Tricia Vessey, Henry Silva, John Tormey, Victor Argo, Camille Winbush, and Damon Whitaker.
Tech specs for the Criterion Blu-ray include a 1080p HD presentation in the (OAR) original aspect ratio 1.85:1, from a new 4K restored transfer, supervised & approved by Jim Jarmusch, with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound. You can find the Criterion Blu-ray available for preorder now over at Amazon as well as directly via Criterion. The info regarding this upcoming release and a list of bonus materials set to be included are listed below.
- New, restored 4K digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Jim Jarmusch, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Alternate isolated stereo music track
- New Q&A with Jarmusch, in which he responds to questions sent in by fans
- New conversation between actors Forest Whitaker and Isaach De Bankolé, moderated by film scholar Michael B. Gillespie
- New interview with casting director Ellen Lewis
- New interview with Shifu Shi Yan Ming, founder of the USA Shaolin Temple
- New video essay on RZA’s original score for the film
- The Odyssey: A Journey into the Life of a Samurai, a 2000 program on the making of the film
- Deleted scenes and outtakes
- Archival interviews
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- PLUS: An essay by critic Greg Tate and quotations from Hagakure: The Book of the Samurai, by the early-eighteenth-century monk Yamamoto Tsunetomo
- New cover by Eric Skillman