Yesterday at this year’s NYCC (New York Comic-Con) they announced that the animated TV series “Castlevania Season One“ is coming to Blu-ray Disc on December 4th via VIZ Media (distributed by Warner). The show can be seen on Netflix and has been renewed for a second season. There are several tweets floating around that show the cover art for the set. The tech specs for the release have not yet been detailed, nor fully have the bonus materials, so stay tuned for a full update on that. It is said that the release will include bonus materials such as storyboards and an art gallery. The title is now available for PRE-ORDER on Blu-ray over at Amazon.
The 1978 Richard Donner directed film “Superman: The Movie“ starring Christopher Reeve is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on November 6th via Warner. The film co-starred Margot Kidder, Gene Hackman, Ned Beatty, Jackie Cooper, and Marlon Brando. Tech specs for the release include 2160p 4K video in the 2.4:1 aspect ratio with both HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of High Dynamic Range and Dolby Atmos sound. It is said that this comes from a new 4K MASTER from the original film print.
It is also available to PRE-ORDER directly from Warner at their WBShop. This title had been rumored for months and it’s great to see it finally getting officially announced and a release date. The bonus materials set to be included on the release are listed below.
- Audio Commentary by Pierre Spengler and Ilya Salkind (on both 4K and Blu-ray)
- The Making of Superman: The Movie 1978 TV Special
- Superman and the Mole-Men
- Theatrical Trailers
- TV Spot
The 2017 animated DC Universe Movie “Justice League: Dark“ is coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on October 9th via Warner, according to an early alert to retailers. The film, directed by Jay Oliva, featured the voice talents of Rosario Dawson, Jerry O’Connell, Camilla Luddington, Nicholas Turturro, Jeremy Davies, Alfred Molina, Jason O’Mara, Matt Ryan, Enrico Colantoni, Roger Cross, and Ray Chase. Tech specs for the release include 2160p video in the 1.78:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of high dynamic range and DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with a Blu-ray Disc included, as well as a digital copy. You can already find this for PRE-ORDER over at Amazon.
The bonus materials set to be included on the release are listed below.
- “The Story of Swamp Thing“
- “Did You Know? Constantine Origin”
- “Did You Know? Color of Magic”
- “Did You Know? Black Orchid“
- “Did You Know? Dead Man Casting”
- 2016 NY Comic-Con Panel
- A Sneak Peek at DC Universe Animated Movie “Teen Titans: The Judas Contract”
- From the DC Comics Vault – 2 Cartoons
- … And More!
The 2007 Michael Dougherty written & directed film “Trick ‘r Treat“ in “Collector’s Edition” form slated for an October 9th Blu-ray Disc release from Scream Factory has now been fully detailed. Tech specs for the release include full 1080p HD video in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio and DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound. There is a already a PRE-ORDER listing available over at Amazon for this release. Bonus materials set to be included (now fully detailed) are listed below.
- NEW 2K Scan of the original film elements supervised and approved by director Michael Dougherty
- NEW Tales of Folklore & Fright: Creating Trick ‘r Treat – including interviews with writer/director Michael Dougherty, conceptual artist Breehn Burns, and storyboard artist Simeon Wilkins.
- NEW Tales of Mischief & Mayhem: Filming Trick ‘r Treat – in-depth interview with Michael Dougherty on the making of the film
- NEW Sounds of Shock & Superstition: Scoring Trick ‘r Treat – including interviews with Michael Dougherty and composer Douglas Pipes
- NEW Tales of Dread and Despair: Releasing Trick ‘r Treat – a look at the release and fandom with Michael Dougherty and writer Rob Galluzzo
- Season’s Greetings – NEW 2K scan of the original 16mm elements – a short film by Michael Dougherty with optional commentary by Dougherty
- NEW Storyboard and Conceptual Artwork Gallery
- NEW Behind the Scenes Still Gallery
- NEW Monster Mash – a story from the TRICK ‘R TREAT graphic novel
- NEW FEARnet.com Shorts
- Audio Commentary with director Michael Dougherty
- Trick ‘R Treat: The Lore and Legends of Halloween featurette
- Deleted and Alternate Scenes with optional commentary by director Michael Dougherty
- School Bus FX Comparison
- Theatrical Trailer
The full announcement for this release can be found below, after the break.
Today Warner officially announced that the upcoming (previously announced) release of “Batman: The Complete Animated Series“ Deluxe Limited Edition on Blu-ray Disc has been pushed back two weeks, now slated to come out on October 30th. The original details on the release were reported but I’m going to go back over them as some things have changed and a new press release has been issued. It’s also not just the release date changing for this release either, as another change comes in that a Digital Copy of the entire series has now been added to the release.
Also today the studio (Warner) released a promotional video showing the restored footage of the opening title sequence from the show, that you can find further below (or directly on YouTube).
The series is available for PRE-ORDER over at Amazon now with a reduced price from its suggested retail. The “deluxe limited edition” packaging here includes three collectible Funko Pop! figurines of “Batman”, “Harley Quinn”, and “The Joker” (as pictured). Also included are seven lenticular art cards, and the 12-disc set is “housed in a stunning layflat-book with a dazzling slipcase” – according to the studio.
Tech specs for the release have still not been fully detailed but I have reached out to get those. You can find the new video of the restored opening titles, info regarding the contents, and bonus materials set to be included on the box set further below, after the break, in the form of the official announcement from today.
The 2014 DC Universe animated movie “Batman: Assault on Arkham“ is getting a 4K UHD Blu-ray release on September 11th via Warner. Tech specs for the release include full 2160p 4K video in the 1.78:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range and DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound. The 4K version is available now for PRE-ORDER over at Amazon and Best Buy. The 4K release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with a Blu-ray Disc and Digital Copy of the film included. Bonus materials set to be included on the release are identical to the previous Blu-ray (with nothing new), and are listed below.
- Audio Commentary
- The Joker’s Queen: Harley Quinn
- Arkham Analyzed: The Secrets Behind the Asylum
- Justice League: Throne of Atlantis Sneak Peek
- Bonus cartoons from the DC Comics Vault:
- Justice League Unlimited, “Task Force X”
- Young Justice, “Infiltrator”
- Batman: The Brave the Bold, “Emperor Joker”
- The Batman, “Two of a Kind”
It’s also worth noting to fans that another DC Universe animated movie, “Batman: The Killing Joke“, will be released the same day. Finally, below after the break you can find the original trailer for the film.
The 2015 DC Universe animated film “Justice League: Throne of Atlantis” is going to be released on 4K UHD Blu-ray (for the first time) and will also re-released on Blu-ray Disc in a “Commemorative Edition” on November 13th by Warner.
Tech specs for the 4K release will include full 2160p with HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range, while audio format and configuration have yet to be detailed. Tech specs for the Blu-ray re-release include full 1080p HD video in the 1.78:1 aspect ratio, again with audio format and configuration yet to be detailed. If it’s any indication, the previous Blu-ray (released back in 2015) included DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio. The new “Commemorative Edition” on both 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc are both available for PRE-ORDER now over at Amazon. Both releases will come in the form of “combo pack” with the 4K including a Blu-ray, the Blu-ray including a DVD, and both including a Digital Copy of the film. Bonus materials set to be included on this new “Commemorative Edition” include an all-new featurette, an all-new audio commentary, and gets all the original bonus from the previous Blu-ray (ported over), which are listed below.
- “Aquaman: The New King” (NEW featurette) – An immersive look at Arthur Curry’s evolution from guardian of the ocean to the King of Atlantis and key member of the Justice League.
- Audio Commentary (NEW) – Renowned former DC Editor and current Creative Director of Animation Mike Carlin, Creative Director of Animation, and Throne of Atlantis screenwriter Heath Corson share their insights into the legend of Aquaman.
- “Scoring Atlantis: The Sound of the Deep” (Featurette) – Every great film needs a great musical score. Filled with emotion, music takes us on a dynamic journey as we adventure with the hero. Throne of Atlantis takes us on that quest through the eyes of Arthur Curry.
- Robin and Nightwing Bonus Sequence – Producer James Tucker provides video commentary for this exciting bonus sequence where Robin and Nightwing join forces.
- Throne of Atlantis: 2014 New York Comic Con Panel – The entire, lively one-hour panel discussion between actor Matt Lanter, producer James Tucker, screenwriter Heath Corson, character designer Phil Bourassa and dialogue director Andrea Romano.
- “Villains of the Deep” (Featurette) – From Ocean Master to Black Manta to King Shark, each villain operates from his own deep sense of conviction, presenting an incredible challenge for the hero in Arthur Curry, aka Aquaman. This documentary goes into the biographical details of the villains.
- A Sneak Peek at “The Death of Superman” – The Death of Superman is widely considered one of the most popular stories in the Superman canon and the DCU. This sneak peek at the exciting new film discusses the story and its place in pop culture.
- A Sneak Peek at “Reign of the Supermen” – An exciting look at the new film which brings the epic and emotional story of a world without the Man of Steel to life.
- Bonus cartoons from the DC Comics Vault:
- Batman: The Brave and the Bold, “Aquaman’s Outrageous Adventure!”
- Batman: The Brave and the Bold, “Evil Under the Sea!”
- Aquaman, “Menace of The Black Manta” and “The Rampaging Reptile-Men”
- Justice League Unlimited, “Far from Home”
Further below after the break you’ll find the trailer for this new “Commemorative Edition” re-release on 4K and Blu-ray, as well as the official announcement.
The 2018 Jon Turteltaub directed film “The Meg”, which just hit theaters this weekend, is already slated for December release on 4K UHD Blu-ray, Blu-ray Disc, and even on Blu-ray 3D format in the United Kingdom on retailer Zavvi. Keywords there: in the United Kingdom, not stateside. However, based on this, we can likely expect this film to come out around December here in the United States. The UK release date is December 17th. Stay tuned on what the US release date will be.
At time of writing this, stateside, it does already have a PRE-ORDER listings available over at Amazon for both the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc versions. The Blu-ray 3D version is lacking a pre-order listing, at this moment.
It appears, looking at the cover art, all the releases will come in the form of a “combo pack” – with the 4K release getting a Blu-ray included, and the Blu-ray releases getting a DVD included. All versions it also appears will include a Digital Copy of the film. No word yet at all on the tech specs or the bonus materials slated for these releases, as this news is just now developing. Stay tuned for any updates.
MAJOR UPDATE: This title has since been announced for United States home video release on both the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc formats, with no 3D release stateside – as expected. You can find more about this HERE, posted on the site.
Lastly, do you have an real concerns about this post? You can easily contact me using the Contact page. Thanks.
Retailer Best Buy this morning has unveiled (in their weekly ad) a sale going on this week (both online and in-store) where you can buy three select Warner movies on 4K UHD Blu-ray format for just $50 total. To get this deal online you’ll want to start on this page, or just select these, and put them in your cart from the titles below. Speaking of which, this sale includes a total of sixteen different titles, listed below.
- “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice“
- “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them“
- “I Am Legend”
- “Kong: Skull Island“
- “The Legend of Tarzan“
- “The LEGO NINJAGO Movie“
- “Mad Max: Fury Road“
- “Man of Steel“
- “The Matrix“
- “Pacific Rim“
- “Suicide Squad“
- “Tomb Raider “
- “Wonder Woman“