The remaining films in the “Star Wars” film franchise – so far – are all coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on March 31st it seems, via Disney, according to retailer listings. There will first be a very lavish, expensive box set available (seemingly exclusive) at retailer Best Buy called “The Skywalker Saga” (pictured above) which is now available for preorder. That Skywalker Saga set will include Episodes 1-9 of the films, as well as two Blu-ray Disc counterparts for each film, filled with bonus materials – yet to be detailed. Stay tuned for further details regarding this release as it develops.
Now, as of today, there also are most certainly individual releases for Episodes 1-7 coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on March 31st as well as the film “Rogue One – A Star Wars Story” (2016). It’s certainly worth noting that these titles are now all listed over at retailer Best Buy, individually. So, as you’d expect I’ll be listing the films coming out in theatrical chronological order with direct links to the Best Buy preorder listings – not yet functional but currently placeholder pages. UPDATED: I am now adding Amazon preorder listings to this post as they are getting listed.
NOTE: The final film in the Skywalker Saga (“Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker”) has been announced officially, as you can read HERE in my previous news post regarding it. This story regarding the individual releases is still developing, so once again, stay tuned.
The 2019 sequel “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on March 31st, via Disney. The film, directed by J.J. Abrams, starred Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Anthony Daniels, Naomi Ackie, Domhnall Gleeson, Richard E. Grant, Lupita Nyong’o, Keri Russell, Joonas Suotamo, Kelly Marie Tran, Ian McDiarmid, and Billy Dee Williams. Tech specs for the 4K UHD Blu-ray include 2160p video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range and Dolby Atmos sound. The technical specs for the Blu-ray include HD video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio with DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 sound. Both releases will come in the form of a “combo pack” with the 4K getting its Blu-ray counterpart, the Blu-ray getting the DVD, and each getting a digital code (copy) of the film included. While it’s not yet available over at Amazon, stay tuned. However, you can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray available for preorder over at retailers Best Buy, Target, and Walmart.
The 4K release is going to be getting several exclusives at retailers. The exclusives will include a 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook over at Best Buy (pictured below), Target will get a 4K UHD Blu-ray Gallery Book (pictured below), and a 4K UHD Blu-ray Limited Edition will be exclusive over at Walmart (pictured below). You can click on the retailer names for links to preorder those exclusives.
The bonus materials set to be included on both the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray are listed below.
- The Skywalker Legacy – The story lives forever in this feature-length documentary that charts the making of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.
- Pasaana Pursuit: Creating the Speeder Chase – Dive into the making of the movie’s epic landspeeder chase and discover how this spectacular sequence was brought to the screen.
- Aliens in the Desert – See what it took to create the Pasaana desert scenes, from the sheer scale and complexity of the shoot to its colorful details.
- D-O: Key to the Past – Explore the ship that connects Rey to the mystery of her missing parents and get to know the galaxy’s newest, irresistible droid.
- Warwick & Son – Warwick Davis, who played Wicket in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, dons the Ewok costume once more; this time joined by his son Harrison.
- Cast of Creatures – The team behind the film’s memorable creatures reveal the puppetry, makeup, prosthetics and digital magic that bring them to life!
- Digital Exclusive:
- The Maestro’s Finale – Composer John Williams reflects on his body of work for the Star Wars saga and shares insights on scoring Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.
* Digital bonus offerings may vary by retailer.
Further below, after the break, you can find even further details about the upcoming home video releases of this film via the official announcement.
Ron Howard directed film “Solo: A Star Wars Story” is coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on September 25th via LucasFilms (Disney). Tech specs for the 4K include full 2160p 4K video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio and Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 sound. HDR10 High Dynamic Range seems to be the only variety included. There is no mention of Dolby Vision here in the press release. Tech specs for the Blu-ray include full 1080p HD video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio and DTS-HD 7.1 MA sound. Both releases will come in the form of a “combo pack” with discs of other format included (Blu-ray on the 4K, and DVD on the Blu-ray) with both getting a Digital Copy of the film.
UPDATE: The title is available for PRE-ORDER available over at Best Buy on both 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc. There’s also a Steelbook 4K UHD Blu-ray going to be available, as I’ve discussed.
Bonus materials set to be included on the release, so they are are listed below.
- Solo: The Director & Cast Roundtable
Sit down with director Ron Howard and the stars for an intimate and entertaining discussion of the film’s making.
- Team Chewie
See what it takes to bring your favorite Wookiee to life in this lighthearted look behind the scenes.
- Kasdan on Kasdan
Iconic Star Wars screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan and son Jonathan share what it was like to write the movie’s script together.
- Remaking the Millennium Falcon
Track the transformation of the most famous ship in the galaxy, from Lando’s swank and impeccable pride and joy to Han’s stripped-down hot-rod freighter with “special modifications.”
- Escape from Corellia
Get behind the wheel for the making of this high-octane chase through the streets of Corellia.
- The Train Heist
Explore the challenges and thrills of creating this action-packed sequence, including its remote location and spectacular effects.
- Becoming a Droid: L3-37
Meet the newest droid—and the talented actor who helps bring her to life.
- Scoundrels, Droids, Creatures and Cards: Welcome to Fort Ypso
Take an in-depth tour of the rough-and-tumble bar where strangers mix and gamblers risk all in the legendary card game, Sabaac.
- Into the Maelstrom: The Kessel Run
Join Han and Chewie at the controls of the Millennium Falcon to see how this legendary moment in Star Wars history unfolds.
- Deleted Scenes
- Proxima’s Den
- Corellian Foot Chase
- Han Solo: Imperial Cadet
- The Battle of Mimban: Extended
- Han Versus Chewie: Extended
- Snowball Fight!
- Meet Dryden: Extended
- Coaxium Double-Cross
- The Millenium Falcon: From Page to Park – An exclusive look at the history of the most famous ship in the galaxy, its origin and development, and how it will translate in one of the most anticipated expansions in Disneyland’s history.
Further below, after the break, you can find the Blu-ray Disc art and the official announcement.
Disney / Lucasfilms Ltd. plans to bring “Star Wars: Rebels – Complete Season Four” to Blu-ray Disc on July 31st. Tech specs for the release include full 1080p HD video in the 1.78:1 aspect ratio and Dolby Digital 5.1 sound, spanning across a 2-disc set. The title is available for PRE-ORDER now over at Amazon. Bonus materials set to be included on the release are listed below.
- Six audio commentaries with Executive Producer Dave Filoni
- “Ghosts of Legend” – The series’ creators explore what brought Ezra, Kanan, Hera, Sabine, Zeb, and Chopper to the end
- “Forces of Rebellion” – Learn about the nature of the Force as Filoni shares insights into the power that binds the galaxy together in Rebels and across the Star Wars saga
- “Kevin Kiner: The Rebel Symphony” – Meet the mastermind behind the score from the series in a special behind-the-scenes feature on the composer
- Rebels Recon Final Season – StarWars.com’s own entertaining and informative recap that dives into the themes and making of each episode – and uncovers some special Easter eggs
Further below, after the break, you’ll find the official announcement for this release.
EDITORIAL NOTE: This news is a bit ahead of things, considering the film just recently hit theaters and has no release date yet announced on home video. However I think this is worth sharing with you all, especially 4K, Steelbook, and the franchise fans.
As I was looking through the upcoming Steelbook EXCLUSIVES over at retailer Best Buy, I noticed earlier this week that there’s already a PRE-ORDER listing for the recently released (2018) Ron Howard directed film “Solo: A Star Wars Story” in an exclusive 4K UHD Blu-ray Steelbook. The release (as pictured above) says it will be a “combo pack” including also a Blu-ray Disc and Digital Copy of the film. This news, again, is way ahead of things, so stay tuned for updates a bit further down the road, so-to-speak.