Tag Archives: Samuel L. Jackson
Amazon Commissions Earned
The 1992 film “Juice“ will be officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on January 11th, 2022 via Paramount Home Entertainment. The film, celebrating its 30th anniversary, directed by Ernest R. Dickerson, starred Omar Epps, Jermaine Hopkins, Khalil Kain, Samuel L. Jackson, Queen Latifah, and the late Tupac Shakur.
The tech specs for the release have not yet been detailed but you can expect a 2160p video presentation with HDR10 form of high dynamic range and a lossless sound mix. You can find the 4K UHD Blu-ray now available for preorder over at Amazon. The release will come with a digital code (copy) of the film. Bonus materials set to be included with the release are listed below.
- Commentary by director Ernest R. Dickerson
- You’ve Got the Juice Now—A look back at the making of the film featuring interviews with director Ernest R. Dickerson, producer David Heyman and actors Omar Epps, Khalil Kain and Jermaine Hopkins. The piece details Dickerson’s struggle to remain true to his original vision, his desire to cast fresh new talent, the challenges of shooting on location in Harlem, and the reasons why the film’s ending was changed.
- The Wrecking Crew—The film’s surviving lead actors talk about how they came to be cast in the film and the bonds they immediately formed with one another. They additionally share stories about Tupac Shakur’s drive, authenticity and unmistakable genius, as well as their delight at getting to work with Samuel L. Jackson, Queen Latifah and Cindy Herron.
- Sip the Juice: The Music—Explores the essential role that music plays in the film. Features vintage interviews with the Shocklee brothers about their score, as well as Erik B, EPMD, and members of Cypress Hill speaking about their contributions to the unforgettable soundtrack and why they chose to be a part of the film.
- Stay in the Scene: The Interview—Vintage interview with the four lead cast members on set. The piece demonstrates their rapport as they discuss the importance of the film and its message.
- Photo Gallery—Unit photographer Adger Cowans’ photos taken on set.
It’s also worth noting that there will be a 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook (pictured below) available for the film. UPDATE: the 4K SteelBook can now be found available for preorder over at Amazon and will not be a retailer exclusive.
Further below, after the break, you can find the full announcement about the 4K physical release of the film.
Amazon Commissions Earned
The 1993 Hughes brothers film “Menace II Society” is officially coming to both 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on November 23rd via The Criterion Collection. The film, directed by Albert Hughes & Allen Hughes, starred Tyrin Turner, Larenz Tate, Samuel L. Jackson, Anthony Johnson, Glenn Plummer, Reginald Ballard, Khandi Alexander, June Kyoto Lu, and Toshi Toda. The movie has received a new 4K restoration, as detailed below.
“New 4K digital restoration of the directors’ cut of the film, supervised by cinematographer Lisa Rinzler and codirector Albert Hughes …”
The tech specs for the 4K UHD Blu-ray include a 2160p video presentation in the original 1.85:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of high dynamic range and DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 lossless surround sound and DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Stereo lossless sound. The tech specs for the Blu-ray include a 1080p HD video presentation in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio with the same DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 and 2.0 sound mixes. The 4K release will come as a 2-disc “combo pack” and include its Blu-ray Disc counterpart.
You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray and the Blu-ray versions of The Criterion Collection releases available for preorder over at Amazon, as well as directly via Criterion‘s website. The releases both will come with the following bonus materials, including some physical.
- Two audio commentaries from 1993 featuring directors Albert and Allen Hughes
- Gangsta Vision, a 2009 featurette on the making of the film
- New conversation among Albert Hughes, screenwriter Tyger Williams, and film critic Elvis Mitchell
- New conversation among Allen Hughes, actor and filmmaker Bill Duke, and Mitchell
- Interview from 1993 with the directors
- Deleted scenes
- Film-to-storyboard comparison
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- PLUS: An essay by film critic Craig D. Lindsey
- New cover by Sister Hyde
2021 film “Spiral” starring Chris Rock is coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on July 20th, via Lionsgate, according to multiple retailers. The film, the latest in the from the book of “SAW” franchise, directed by Darren Lynn Bousman, co-stars Samuel L. Jackson, Max Minghella, and Marisol Nichols. The tech specs for the release have not been fully detailed yet, aside from both getting Dolby Atmos sound, for the 4K and Blu-ray releases but stay tuned for an update. The releases will both come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning that the 4K will come with its Blu-ray counterpart, the Blu-ray will come with a DVD, and both will include a digital code (copy) of the film. You can now find the standard 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray available to preorder over at Amazon.
The 1989 Spike Lee joint “Do the Right Thing” is coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on February 2nd, 2021, via Universal — according to retailers. The film, written & directed by Spike Lee, featured a cast of Danny Aiello, Ossie Davis, Ruby Dee, Richard Edson, Giancarlo Esposito, Bill Nunn, John Turturro, Paul Benjamin, Frankie Faison, Samuel L. Jackson, and Martin Lawrence. Tech specs for the 4K UHD Blu-ray release of the film include a video presentation in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio in HDR10 with DTS:X sound on a BD-100 disc. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning that it’ll receive its Blu-ray Disc counterpart as well as a digital code (copy) of the film included. You can find the 4K UHD Blu-ray is now listed to preorder over at Amazon and retailer Walmart. Bonus materials set to be included with the 4K release are listed below.
- Spike Lee Introduction
- Do the Right Thing: 20 Years Later
- Deleted and Extended Scenes
- Behind the Scenes
- Making Do the Right Thing
- The Riot Sequence
- 20th Anniversary Edition Feature Audio Commentary with director Spike Lee
- Feature Commentary with Director Spike Lee, Director of Photography Ernest Dickerson, Production Designer Wynn Thomas, and Actor Joie Lee
- Cannes, 1989
– Commissions Earned –
The 2020 film “The Last Full Measure“ is officially coming to Blu-ray Disc on April 21st, via Lionsgate. The film, inspired by a true story, written & directed by Todd Robinson, included a cast of Sebastian Stan, Christopher Plummer, William Hurt, Ed Harris, Samuel L. Jackson, Michael Imperioli, and the late Peter Fonda. The tech specs for the Blu-ray release include 1080p HD video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 audio. This release will come with a digital code (copy) of the film. You can now find the Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon and Target. The bonus materials set to be included on the release are listed below.
- “The Women of The Last Full Measure” Featurette
- “Medal of Honor Ceremony Shoot” Featurette
- “The Others May Live: Remembering Operation Abilene” Featurette
- “USAF Museum Screening with Veterans & Pitsenbarger Family” Featurette
- “The Music of The Last Full Measure” Featurette
- “William Pitsenbarger Tribute” Photo Gallery
The remaining films in the “Star Wars” film franchise – so far – are all coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on March 31st it seems, via Disney, according to retailer listings. There will first be a very lavish, expensive box set available (seemingly exclusive) at retailer Best Buy called “The Skywalker Saga” (pictured above) which is now available for preorder. That Skywalker Saga set will include Episodes 1-9 of the films, as well as two Blu-ray Disc counterparts for each film, filled with bonus materials – yet to be detailed. Stay tuned for further details regarding this release as it develops.
Now, as of today, there also are most certainly individual releases for Episodes 1-7 coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on March 31st as well as the film “Rogue One – A Star Wars Story” (2016). It’s certainly worth noting that these titles are now all listed over at retailer Best Buy, individually. So, as you’d expect I’ll be listing the films coming out in theatrical chronological order with direct links to the Best Buy preorder listings – not yet functional but currently placeholder pages. UPDATED: I am now adding Amazon preorder listings to this post as they are getting listed.
- “Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope” (1977)
- “Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back” (1980)
- “Star Wars: Episode VI – Return of the Jedi” (1983)
- “Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace” (1999)
- “Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones” (2002)
- “Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith” (2005)
- “Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens” (2015)
- “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” (2016)
- “Star Wars: Episode VIII – The Rise of Skywalker” (2019)
NOTE: The final film in the Skywalker Saga (“Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker”) has been announced officially, as you can read HERE in my previous news post regarding it. This story regarding the individual releases is still developing, so once again, stay tuned.
The 2018 sequel “Spider-Man: Far From Home” is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on October 1st via Sony. The film which is part of the “Marvel Cinematic Universe” from Marvel Studios was directed by Jon Watts. The cast to this film included Tom Holland, Samuel L. Jackson, Jake Gyllenhaal, Marisa Tomei, Jon Favreau, Zendaya, and Jacob Batalon. Tech specs for the 4K release include 2160p video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of High Dynamic Range along with Dolby Atmos sound. Tech specs for the Blu-ray include 1080p HD video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio and presumably just a 5.1 or 7.1 DTS-HD MA lossless mix – although not specified by the studio in the press release. The 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc versions are now both available for pre-order over at Amazon. Retailer Best Buy will be getting a 4K Exclusive Steelbook (pictured below) which is available to pre-order.
Both releases will come in the form of “combo pack” with the 4K getting a Blu-ray, the Blu-ray getting a DVD, and a digital code (copy) of the film for each version. Bonus materials set to be included on the releases are listed below.
- New Original Short, Peter’s To – Do – List: Peter has a few errands to run before he can leave on his class trip.
- Teachers’ Travel Tips: Mr. Harrington & Mr. Dell present a few tips on how to traverse the European continent.
- Stepping Up: Explore how Spider-Man was introduced in the MCU, the ways Tom Holland transformed the character of Peter Parker, and what the future holds for Spider-Man.
- Suit Up: The suit doesn’t make the hero – but it does play a big role in who they are and who they can become. This piece examines all of Peter’s different suits in the movie, and with behind the scenes footage, we see why some suits are better than others.
- Far, FAR, Far from Home: The film’s illustrious locations serve story points and establish tone, but they’re also amazing to travel to! Hear from the cast on their experiences filming on-location.
- It Takes Two: A special look at the chemistry between Jon Watts and Tom Holland.
- Fury & Hill: MCU stalwarts Cobie Smulders and Samuel L. Jackson are back as Agent Maria Hill & Nick Fury!
- The Ginter-Riva Effect: A look at the villain sub-plot and how William Ginter-Riva ties Spider-Man: Far From Home all the way back to the beginning of the MCU.
- Thank You, Mrs. Parker: A look at Marisa Tomei’s reimagining of Aunt May, from Homecoming to Far From Home.
- The Brother’s Trust: A quick look into some of the amazing work Tom Holland and his brothers have done through their charity, The Brothers Trust.
- The Jump Off: Interviews with the cast & crew take us through all of the amazing stunts of Far From Home.
- Now You See Me: We examine the evolution of Mysterio and why Jake Gyllenhaal was the perfect fit for the role.
- Stealthy Easter Eggs: Allow E.D.I.T.H. to reveal some of the hidden Easter Eggs you may have missed!
- Select Scene Pre – Vis: A side by side comparison of the Pre-Vis with the film
- Gag Reel & Outakes
- Never-Before-Seen Alternate & Extended Scenes
Further below, after the break, you can find the full announcement regarding the upcoming releases of the film.
The 2019 Marvel Studios film “Captain Marvel“ is officially coming to both 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray on June 11th, via Disney. The film, directed by Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck, features a cast of Brie Larson, Samuel L. Jackson, Ben Mendelsohn, Jude Law, and Annette Bening.
UPDATE: Tech specs for the 4K release include video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range and Dolby Atmos sound. The tech specs for the Blu-ray include 1080p video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio and DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 sound.
The 4K release will come in the form of a “combo pack” getting a Blu-ray Disc and both versions will get a digital copy of the film. UPDATE: The 4K UHD Blu-ray is now available for pre-order over at Amazon, while the Blu-ray only has an Amazon placeholder page. The 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray are both available for pre-order over at retailer Best Buy. Speaking of retailers, let’s discuss the exclusives coming out. Best Buy is getting an exclusive Steelbook for the 4K UHD Blu-ray release, now available for pre-order, and pictured below.
Target will be getting an exclusive Gallery Book package for the 4K UHD Blu-ray release, now available for pre-order, and pictured below.
UPDATE: Bonus materials set to be included on the release are now available and listed below after the break. Lastly, you can find the promotional video announcing these releases.