The five “Marvel Cinematic Universe” films “Iron Man“ (2008), “Iron Man 2“ (2010), “Iron Man 3“ (2013), “Thor“ (2011), and “Thor: The Dark World“ (2013) are all coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on August 13th via Disney‘s Marvel Studios. These films’ tech specs on 4K all include 2160p video with HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range and Dolby Atmos sound. One last thing from a technical side: there is a variety of the 2.35:1 to 2.40:1 aspect ratios on the five different films. These films all will come in the form of “combo pack” with the Blu-ray Disc counterpart and a digital copy of each included.
All five of these “MCU” film on 4K UHD Blu-ray are now available for pre-order over at Amazon and Best Buy. Bonus materials will be included on the Blu-ray releases and are identical to their previous releases. There will also be limited edition 4K UHD Blu-ray Steelbook releases for each film exclusive to retailer Best Buy. Those Steelbooks are now available for pre-order now and you can find them below, after the break, pictured with links.
The 2019 Marvel Studios film “Avengers: Endgame” is officially coming to both 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on August 13th via Marvel (Disney). The film, directed by Anthony Russo & Joe Russo, stars Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner, Don Cheadle, Paul Rudd, Benedict Cumberbatch, Chadwick Boseman, Brie Larson, Tom Holland, and Josh Brolin. This movie set a record during its theatrical run, which has now been extended, grossing over 2.7 billion (so far) worldwide. The film also has received much critical-acclaimed and carries a “Certified Fresh” rating (at time of writing) over at Rotten Tomatoes.
The tech specs for the 4K UHD Blu-ray include 2160p video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range and Dolby Atmos sound. Tech specs for the Blu-ray include 1080p video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio and DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound. The scenes shot in IMAX will NOT be presented in their correct aspect ratio and sadly, will not expand to fill the screen. This and some other shortcomings of this release have been discussed already by our friend John Archer over at Forbes. Both releases will come in the form of “combo pack” with the 4K getting a Blu-ray, the Blu-ray getting a DVD, and each comes with a digital copy of the film. You can find the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray of the film now available for pre-order over at Best Buy. Stay tuned for an update when Amazon correctly lists the title on both formats. There will also be an exclusive 4K Steelbook release (pictured below) available over at retailer Best Buy which is now available for pre-order. Another retailer exclusive will come in the form of a 4K Booklet packaging over at Target.
Bonus materials set to be included on the releases of the film are listed below.
- Steve and Peggy: One Last Dance – Explore Captain America and Peggy Carter’s bond, forged in moments from previous films that lead to a momentous choice in “Avengers: Endgame.”
Blu-ray & Digital:
- Remembering Stan Lee – Filmmakers and cast honor the great Stan Lee in a fond look back at his MCU movie cameos.
- Setting The Tone: Casting Robert Downey Jr. – Hear the tale of how Robert Downey Jr. was cast as Tony Stark in the original “Iron Man” — and launched the MCU.
- A Man Out of Time: Creating Captain America – Trace the evolution of Captain America with those who helped shape the look, feel and character of this compelling hero.
- Black Widow: Whatever It Takes – Follow Black Widow’s journey both within and outside the Avengers, including the challenges she faced and overcame along the way.
- The Russo Brothers: Journey to Endgame – See how Anthony and Joe Russo met the challenge of helming two of the biggest films in cinematic history … back-to-back!
- The Women of the MCU – MCU women share what it was like to join forces for the first time in an epic battle scene — and be part of such a historic ensemble.
- Bro Thor – His appearance has changed but his heroism remains! Go behind the scenes to see how Bro Thor was created.
- Six Deleted Scenes – “Goji Berries,” “Bombs on Board,” “Suckiest Army in the Galaxy,” “You Used to Frickin’ Live Here,” “Tony and Howard” and “Avengers Take a Knee.”
- Gag Reel – Laugh along with the cast in this epic collection of flubs, goofs and gaffes from set.
- Visionary Intro – Intro by directors Joe and Anthony Russo.
- Audio Commentary – Audio commentary by directors Anthony and Joe Russo, and writers Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely.
Further below, after the break, you can find the artwork for the Blu-ray, the promo trailer for the home video release (that does contain spoilers), and then full details about the upcoming releases of the film.
The 1985 John Hughes film “Weird Science“ is getting a “Special Edition” Blu-ray Disc release on July 23rd via Arrow Video. The movie starred Anthony Michael Hall, Ilan Mitchell-Smith, Kelly LeBrock, Bill Paxton, Suzanne Snyder, Judie Aronson, and Robert Downey Jr. Tech specs for the new Blu-ray include 1080p video from a new 4K restoration with LPCM 2.0 Stereo and DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound. The release will include both the original theatrical cut (94 minutes) and the extended version (97 minutes) through seamless branching. The Special Edition Blu-ray is now available for pre-order over at Amazon. There also will be a Limited Edition Steelbook Blu-ray Disc release of the film, which you can available to pre-order over at Amazon as well. Further tech specs and a list of bonus materials set to be included on the release are listed below.
- New restoration by Arrow Films from a 4K scan of the original negative
- High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation of the original Theatrical Version of the film (94 mins), plus seamlessly-branched exclusive Extended Version (97 mins), featuring two additional scenes newly remastered in high-definition
- Original lossless stereo audio, plus 5.1 DTS-HD MA surround option (theatrical version only)
- Original English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Edited-for-TV version of the film (SD only, 95 mins), plus comparison featurette highlighting the alternate dubs and takes
- Option to watch additional scenes from the Extended Version separately
- Newly-filmed interview with special makeup creator Craig Reardon
- Newly-filmed interview with editor Chris Lebenzon
- Newly-filmed interview with composer Ira Newborn
- Newly-filmed interview with supporting actor John Kapelos
- All-new interview with casting director Jackie Burch
- It s Alive: Resurrecting Weird Science, an archive documentary featuring interviews with cast, crew and admirers, including star Anthony Michael Hall
- Theatrical trailers and TV spots
- Image gallery
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tracie Ching
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collectors booklet featuring new writing on the film by Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Amanda Reyes
The two Marvel Studios sequels “Captain America: The Winter Soldier“ and “Captain America: Civil War“ are both coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on April 23rd, via Disney – according to an early alert to retailers. The titles had been said to be coming but we now finally get them both listed with release date and pre-order listings for each over at Best Buy.
UPDATE: The two titles on 4K are both now listed for pre-order over at Amazon – HERE and HERE. Those listings even include glimpses at the back of the packaging where we get the tech specs. “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” will be presented in the 2.40:1 aspect (as originally on Blu-ray), while “Captain America: Civil War” will be presented in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio (unlike the original Blu-ray). Both films will receive HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range and Dolby Atmos sound. The bonus materials set to be included for each film can be found on the original Blu-ray releases. No new extras will be included on the 4K discs.
Each release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with the Blu-ray Disc included along with a digital copy of the film.
There will also be Steelbook releases for both of the films on 4K which will be Best Buy exclusives. You can’t pre-order those yet but they have placeholder pages HERE and HERE. The artwork for the Steelbooks is pictured below.