The 1985 John Hughes film “Weird Science“ is getting a “Special Edition” Blu-ray Disc release on July 23rd via Arrow Video. The movie starred Anthony Michael Hall, Ilan Mitchell-Smith, Kelly LeBrock, Bill Paxton, Suzanne Snyder, Judie Aronson, and Robert Downey Jr. Tech specs for the new Blu-ray include 1080p video from a new 4K restoration with LPCM 2.0 Stereo and DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound. The release will include both the original theatrical cut (94 minutes) and the extended version (97 minutes) through seamless branching. The Special Edition Blu-ray is now available for pre-order over at Amazon. There also will be a Limited Edition Steelbook Blu-ray Disc release of the film, which you can available to pre-order over at Amazon as well. Further tech specs and a list of bonus materials set to be included on the release are listed below.
- New restoration by Arrow Films from a 4K scan of the original negative
- High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation of the original Theatrical Version of the film (94 mins), plus seamlessly-branched exclusive Extended Version (97 mins), featuring two additional scenes newly remastered in high-definition
- Original lossless stereo audio, plus 5.1 DTS-HD MA surround option (theatrical version only)
- Original English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Edited-for-TV version of the film (SD only, 95 mins), plus comparison featurette highlighting the alternate dubs and takes
- Option to watch additional scenes from the Extended Version separately
- Newly-filmed interview with special makeup creator Craig Reardon
- Newly-filmed interview with editor Chris Lebenzon
- Newly-filmed interview with composer Ira Newborn
- Newly-filmed interview with supporting actor John Kapelos
- All-new interview with casting director Jackie Burch
- It s Alive: Resurrecting Weird Science, an archive documentary featuring interviews with cast, crew and admirers, including star Anthony Michael Hall
- Theatrical trailers and TV spots
- Image gallery
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tracie Ching
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collectors booklet featuring new writing on the film by Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Amanda Reyes
The two Marvel Studios sequels “Captain America: The Winter Soldier“ and “Captain America: Civil War“ are both coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on April 23rd, via Disney – according to an early alert to retailers. The titles had been said to be coming but we now finally get them both listed with release date and pre-order listings for each over at Best Buy.
UPDATE: The two titles on 4K are both now listed for pre-order over at Amazon – HERE and HERE. Those listings even include glimpses at the back of the packaging where we get the tech specs. “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” will be presented in the 2.40:1 aspect (as originally on Blu-ray), while “Captain America: Civil War” will be presented in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio (unlike the original Blu-ray). Both films will receive HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range and Dolby Atmos sound. The bonus materials set to be included for each film can be found on the original Blu-ray releases. No new extras will be included on the 4K discs.
Each release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with the Blu-ray Disc included along with a digital copy of the film.
There will also be Steelbook releases for both of the films on 4K which will be Best Buy exclusives. You can’t pre-order those yet but they have placeholder pages HERE and HERE. The artwork for the Steelbooks is pictured below.
EDITORIAL NOTE: First off, these screenshots may contain possible “spoilers” – so, be prepared. Secondly, the links to PRE-ORDER this on all formats are over at Best Buy, because
another retailer apparently doesn’t want to take your money. No joke. They have neither version of the film available for pre-order, at time of writing this. I have to have somewhere to send my readers to purchase the film.