Amazon Commissions Earned
According to Amazon, the 1964 film “Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb“ is finally getting an individual 4K UHD Blu-ray release on July 6th via Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. The reason I say finally getting an individual release for this title is that it was previously exclusively part of the “Columbia Classics 4K Ultra HD Collection Volume 1“ released back in June of 2020, and now long OOP (out of print). The film, directed by Stanley Kubrick, starred Peter Sellers (in numerous roles), George C. Scott, Keenan Wynn, Slim Pickens, Peter Bull, James Earl Jones, Tracy Reed, and Sterling Hayden. The tech specs for the 4K release include a Black & White 2160p video presentation in the 1.66:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of high dynamic range and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 as well as DTS-HD Master Audio 1.0 Mono lossless sound mixes. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning that it will include its Blu-ray Disc counterpart as well as a digital code (copy) of the film. You can now find the individual 4K UHD Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon. No official announcement regarding this release has been made yet by the studio [Sony] but stay tuned for an update and confirmation on that. The bonus materials set to be included on both the 4K UHD Blu-ray Disc and the Blu-ray Disc are listed below, accordingly.
4K UHD Blu-ray Disc Extras:
- NEW: “Stanley Kubrick Considers the Bomb” Featurette
- Mick Broderick Interview
- Joe Dunton and Kelvin Pike Interview
- Richard Daniels Interview
- David George Interview
- Rodney Hill Interview
- Archival Stanley Kubrick Audio Interview
- The Today Show Clips featuring Peter Sellers and George C. Scott
- Exhibitor Trailer
- Theatrical Trailer
Blu-ray Disc Extras:
- The Cold War Feature-Length Picture-in-Picture Track
- Inside Dr. Strangelove
- No Fighting in the War Room
- An Interview with Robert McNamara
- Best Sellers
- The Art of Stanley Kubrick
- Split-Screen Interviews with Peter Sellers and George C. Scott
Below, after the break, you can find the first 10 minutes of the film (an extended preview) from Sony on YouTube as well as the trailer for the original “Columbia Classics 4K Ultra HD Collection Volume 1“ box set that the 4K UHD Blu-ray first appeared on as an exclusive.
– Amazon Commissions Earned –
The 1988 film “Coming to America“ starring Eddie Murphy is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on December 1st via Paramount. This is an obvious promotion for the film’s upcoming and highly anticipated sequel — likely coming later this year. The film, directed by John Landis, co-starred Paul Bates, Garcelle Beauvais, Victoria Dillard, James Earl Jones, Madge Sinclair, Sheila Johnson, and Arsenio Hall. Tech specs for the release include a 2160p 4K presentation in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range from a new 4K restoration supervised by the film’s director John Landis. In fact, here’s an official statement regarding this release:
“Newly remastered in 4K with HDR from a supervised restoration by director John Landis, COMING TO AMERICA is an essential comedy-classic for your collection. Available for the first time on 4K Ultra HD with Digital copy, in a limited-edition 4K Ultra HD Steelbook with Digital copy and themed mini poster, or on 4K Ultra HD Digital.”
No word yet on the specific sound format for the release, although I have inquired to the studio [Paramount] about that and will hopefully have an update on it soon. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning that it will include its Blu-ray Disc counterpart and a digital code (copy) of the film. UPDATE #1: There’s now a preorder listing available for this 4K UHD Blu-ray over at Amazon. The bonus materials set to be included on the release are listed below.
- Prince-ipal Photography: The Coming Together of America
- Fit For Akeem: The Costumes of Coming to America
- Character Building: The Many Faces of Rick Baker
- Composing America: The Musical Talents of Nile Rodgers
- A Vintage Sit-Down with Eddie & Arsenio
- Theatrical Trailer
- Photo Gallery
It is most certainly worth noting that there will be a limited-edition 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook release of the film, likely an exclusive to some retailer, available as well (pictured below). UPDATE #2: The 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook is now available for preorder over at Amazon as well as at retailers Best Buy and Target. This SteelBook will not be any exclusive to any specific retailer.
– Amazon Commissions Earned –
The remaining films in the “Star Wars” film franchise – so far – are all coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on March 31st it seems, via Disney, according to retailer listings. There will first be a very lavish, expensive box set available (seemingly exclusive) at retailer Best Buy called “The Skywalker Saga” (pictured above) which is now available for preorder. That Skywalker Saga set will include Episodes 1-9 of the films, as well as two Blu-ray Disc counterparts for each film, filled with bonus materials – yet to be detailed. Stay tuned for further details regarding this release as it develops.
Now, as of today, there also are most certainly individual releases for Episodes 1-7 coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on March 31st as well as the film “Rogue One – A Star Wars Story” (2016). It’s certainly worth noting that these titles are now all listed over at retailer Best Buy, individually. So, as you’d expect I’ll be listing the films coming out in theatrical chronological order with direct links to the Best Buy preorder listings – not yet functional but currently placeholder pages. UPDATED: I am now adding Amazon preorder listings to this post as they are getting listed.
NOTE: The final film in the Skywalker Saga (“Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker”) has been announced officially, as you can read HERE in my previous news post regarding it. This story regarding the individual releases is still developing, so once again, stay tuned.
– ad – commissions earned –
The 1990 John McTiernan directed film “The Hunt for Red October“ will be getting a 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook release on February 25th, 2020, via Paramount. This release is to celebrate the film’s 30th Anniversary through a Limited Collector’s Edition. The film, featuring the Tom Clancy character Jack Ryan (here played by Alec Baldwin), co-starred Sean Connery, John Glenn, Sam Neill, and James Earl Jones. Tech specs for the release include video in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of high dynamic range and Dolby TrueHD 5.1 sound. The SteelBook Limited Collector’s Edition release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with a Blu-ray Disc counterpart of the film, which also includes bonus materials (listed a bit below), and a digital code (copy) of the film. UPDATE: This 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook is now available for preorder over at Amazon. Bonus materials for the release include the following.
- Audio Commentary with director John McTiernan
- “Beneath the Surface” behind-the-scenes featurette
NOTE: This film had previously only been available as part of the “Jack Ryan 5-Film Collection“ on 4K UHD Blu-ray. This will be the first title from that set to get an individual 4K UHD Blu-ray release.
Further below, after the break, you can find the full announcement regarding this upcoming limited edition 4K SteelBook release of the film.
The 2019 live-action adaptation of “The Lion King” is officially coming to both 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on October 22nd via Disney. The film, directed by Jon Favreau, features the voice talents of Donald Glover, Beyonce, Seth Rogen, John Oliver, James Earl Jones, Chiwetel Ejiofor, John Kani, Keegan-Michael Key, Eric Andre, and Billy Eichner. Tech specs for the 4K release include 2160p video in the 1.78:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range and Dolby Atmos sound. The technical specifications for the Blu-ray include 1080p HD video in the 1.78:1 aspect ratio and DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 sound. Both releases will come in the form of “combo pack” with the 4K getting the Blu-ray counterpart (including extras), the Blu-ray getting the DVD, and a digital code (copy) of the film for each. The 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc of the film are now both available for preorder over at Amazon. There also will be a 4K Steelbook (pictured below) exclusive to retailer Best Buy, which you can also find available for preorder. In addition to that, retailer Target will be getting the typical exclusive Story Book (pictured below) style packaging that you can find up for preorder as well.
Bonus materials set to be included on the releases of the film are listed below.
- Perfecting the Pride – Join the filmmakers on their research trip to Africa as they immerse themselves in the real world of “The Lion King.” From the animals in the pride, to the smallest of insects and the grasslands in the savanna, experience the attention to detail that brought the film to life.
- Pride Lands Pedia —Dung beetle shares the importance of his “roll” in the African Savanna in a fun, bug’s eye view of the land and its inhabitants.
BLU-RAY & DIGITAL BONUS:
- The Journey to “The Lion King” –
- The Music – Go inside the studio with the cast and crew as they work to honor and elevate The Lion King’s beloved music.
- The Magic – Discover how the filmmakers blended the traditional filmmaking techniques with virtual reality technology to create amazing movie magic.
- The Timeless Tale – Filmmakers and cast reflect on the story that has moved generations and share how this Lion King carries a proud legacy forward.
- More to Be Scene – Recording studio and layer-by-layer progressions of some of most iconic moments in “The Lion King.”
- “Circle of Life” – Peel back the layers of effects and go behind the scenes of this iconic musical moment from the film
- “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” – See all the effects, talent and fun that went into creating this vibrant version of “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” for the movie
- “Hakuna Matata” – Join Donald Glover (Simba), Seth Rogen (Pumbaa) and Billy Eichner (Timon) in the studio for the making of this memorable scene.
- Music Videos
- “Never Too Late” (lyric video) by Elton John
- “Spirit” performed by Beyoncé Knowles-Carter
- Filmmaker Introduction
- Audio Commentary – By Director Jon Favreau.
- Song Selection
- “Circle of Life”
- “I Just Can’t Wait to be King”
- “Be Prepared”
- “Hakuna Matata”
- “The Lion Sleeps Tonight”
- “Never Too Late”
- Protect the Pride –Director Jon Favreau, the Lion Recovery Fund and conservationists highlight efforts to protect the majestic lions and their home.
Further below, after the break, you can find the full announcement regarding those upcoming releases of the film.
The 1989 film “Field of Dreams“ starring Kevin Costner is officially getting a 30th Anniversary Edition 4K UHD Blu-ray release on May 14th, via Universal. The film, directed by Phil Alden Robinson, co-starred James Earl Jones, Ray Liotta, Timothy Busfield, Amy Madigan, Gaby Hoffman, Frank Whaley, and Burt Lancaster.
The tech specs for the 4K include 2160p video in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of High Dynamic range and DTS:X sound. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with a Blu-ray Disc and a digital copy of the film included. The 4K UHD Blu-ray is now available for pre-order over at Amazon. Bonus materials set to be included on the release are identical to the previous Blu-ray release and listed below.
- Deleted Scenes with Introductions by Phil Alden Robinson
- From Father to Son: Passing Along the Pastime
- Roundtable with Kevin Costner, Bret Saberhagen, George Brett and Johnny Bench
- The Diamond in the Husks
- Galena, IL Pinch Hits for Chisholm, MN
- Field of Dreams: A Scrapbook
- Bravo Special: From Page to Screen
- Theatrical Trailer
- Feature Commentary with Director Phil Alden Robinson and Director of Photography John Lindley (also on the 4K disc)
There will also be an exclusive 4K Steelbook release of the film available over at retailer Best Buy. That Steelbook (pictured below) can be found for pre-order.