Tag Archives: Anthony Hopkins
– Amazon Commissions Earned –
The 1980 film “The Elephant Man“ directed by David Lynch is finally coming to Blu-ray Disc, via The Criterion Collection, on September 29th. The film starred Anthony Hopkins, John Hurt, and Anne Bancroft. The release comes from a director-approved new 4K restoration of the film, which is presented in Black & white in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio with an uncompressed (PCM) 2.0 Stereo sound mix. The Blu-ray is now available for preorder over at Amazon. The details about the release and a list of bonus materials set to be included can be found listed below.
- New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed stereo soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Director David Lynch and critic Kristine McKenna reading from Room to Dream, a 2018 book they coauthored
- Archival interviews with Lynch, actor John Hurt, producers Mel Brooks and Jonathan Sanger, director of photography Freddie Francis, stills photographer Frank Connor, and makeup artist Christopher Tucker
- Audio recording from 1981 of an interview and Q&A with Lynch at the American Film Institute
- The Terrible Elephant Man Revealed, a 2001 documentary about the film
- Trailer and radio spots
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- PLUS: A booklet featuring excerpts from an interview with Lynch from the 2005 edition of filmmaker and writer Chris Rodley’s book Lynch on Lynch, and an 1886 letter to the editor of the London Times concerning Joseph Merrick, the “elephant man,” by Francis Culling Carr Gomm, chairman of the London Hospital at the time
- New cover by Sister Hyde
The 1998 film “The Mask of Zorro“ starring Antonio Banderas is coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on May 5th, via Sony. The film, directed by Martin Campbell, co-starred Anthony Hopkins, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Stuart Wilson, and Matt Letscher. The tech specs for the release include video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range from a new 4K scan of the original camera negative and Dolby Atmos sound. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with the Blu-ray Disc counterpart and a digital code (copy) of the film also included. UPDATE: You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon. It is also listed for preorder over at retailers Best Buy and Target. The bonus materials set to be included, listed below, here feature some new content that will be housed on the 4K disc.
4K ULTRA HD BONUS MATERIALS:
• Never-Before-Seen Deleted Scenes
• Theatrical Trailers
BLU-RAY BONUS MATERIALS:
• Director Commentary
• “Unmasking Zorro” Documentary
• 2 Deleted Scenes
• Music Video by Marc Anthony and Tina Arena
Further below, after the break, you can find even more details about the upcoming 4K release of this film as well as the 2005 sequel digitally coming to 4K.
The five “Marvel Cinematic Universe” films “Iron Man“ (2008), “Iron Man 2“ (2010), “Iron Man 3“ (2013), “Thor“ (2011), and “Thor: The Dark World“ (2013) are all coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on August 13th via Disney‘s Marvel Studios. These films’ tech specs on 4K all include 2160p video with HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range and Dolby Atmos sound. One last thing from a technical side: there is a variety of the 2.35:1 to 2.40:1 aspect ratios on the five different films. These films all will come in the form of “combo pack” with the Blu-ray Disc counterpart and a digital copy of each included.
All five of these “MCU” film on 4K UHD Blu-ray are now available for pre-order over at Amazon and Best Buy. Bonus materials will be included on the Blu-ray releases and are identical to their previous releases. There will also be limited edition 4K UHD Blu-ray Steelbook releases for each film exclusive to retailer Best Buy. Those Steelbooks are now available for pre-order now and you can find them below, after the break, pictured with links.
The 1995 Oliver Stone directed film “Nixon“ starring Anthony Hopkins is getting a “Special Edition” Blu-ray Disc release on May 21st via Kino Lorber Studio Classics, according to an early alert to retailers. The tech specs haven’t been fully detailed but it will for certain contain 1080p video with uncompressed 5.1 and 2.0 Stereo sound configurations. Both the theatrical cut (120 minutes) and the extended director’s cut (212 minutes) of the film will be included on what is said to be a 3-disc set. The upcoming Blu-ray is available to pre-order now over at Amazon. Details about the release and a list of bonus materials set to be included are below.
This special three-disc edition includes both the original theatrical cut and the extended director’s cut, and is loaded with extras.
- Includes both the original 191-minute theatrical cut and the extended 212-minute director’s cut
- Two Audio Commentaries with Director Oliver Stone (Director’s Cut): Oliver Stone Discusses the Film’s Performances, Style & Scrip/Oliver Stone Discusses the Politics & History of the Era
- NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Jim Hemphill (Theatrical Cut)
- Deleted Scenes Introduced by Oliver Stone (58:16)
- Beyond Nixon Documentary (35:19)
- Charlie Rose Interviews Oliver Stone (55:09)
- Making-of Featurette
- 5.1 Surround and 2.0 Stereo
- Theatrical Trailer
Editor Note: I would say that there’s a slight chance this could actually someday receive a 4K UHD Blu-ray release, considering that the distributor recently announced plans to bring their first title to that format. That film announced for 4K also stars Anthony Hopkins (“Hannibal“) so it would be fitting.