A Hard Day’s Night with The Beatles on 4K in January
The 1964 film “A Hard Day’s Night“ starring rock group The Beatles is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on January 18th, 2021 via The Criterion Collection. The film, directed by Richard Lester, starred John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, and Wilfrid Brambell. It’s most certainly worth noting that this was the first feature-length major motion picture that the band made during their legendary career.
The movie has received a new 4K restoration, which has been approved by the director Richard Lester. The tech specs for the 4K UHD Blu-ray include a 2160p video presentation, in Black & White, in the 1.75:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of high dynamic range and 3 audio mixes [supervised by sound producer Giles Martin] with 1.0 Mono, and 2.0 Stereo mixes both uncompressed in linear PCM, and a DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound mix. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning that it will include its Blu-ray Disc counterpart.
You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon and directly via Criterion’s website. The bonus materials set to be included with the release are detailed below along with the full technical specifications and info regarding the restoration and audio mixes.
- New 4K digital restoration, approved by director Richard Lester, with three audio options—a monaural soundtrack as well as stereo and 5.1 surround mixes supervised by sound producer Giles Martin at Abbey Road Studios—presented in uncompressed monaural, uncompressed stereo, and DTS-HD Master Audio on the 4K UHD and Blu-ray
- In the 4K UHD edition: One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
- Audio commentary featuring cast and crew (dual-format and 4K UHD only)
- In Their Own Voices, a program featuring 1964 interviews with the Beatles with behind-the-scenes footage and photos
- “You Can’t Do That”: The Making of “A Hard Day’s Night,” a 1994 documentary by producer Walter Shenson including an outtake performance by the Beatles
- Things They Said Today, a 2002 documentary about the film featuring Lester, music producer George Martin, screenwriter Alun Owen, and cinematographer Gilbert Taylor (dual-format and 4K UHD only)
- Picturewise, a program about Lester’s early work, featuring a 2014 audio interview with the director (dual-format and 4K UHD only)
- The Running Jumping & Standing Still Film (1960), Lester’s Oscar-nominated short (dual-format and 4K UHD only)
- Anatomy of a Style, a 2014 program on Lester’s methods (dual-format and 4K UHD only)
- Interview from 2014 with Beatles biographer Mark Lewisohn (dual-format and 4K UHD only)
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- PLUS: An essay by critic Howard Hampton and excerpts from a 1970 interview with Lester (dual-format and 4K UHD only)
- New cover by Rodrigo Corral
Amazon Commissions Earned
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.