The Stephen King produced and inspired TV series “Castle Rock: The Complete First Season” (as seen on Hulu) is coming to both 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on January 8th, 2019 via Warner. Tech specs for the 4K release include HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range, with both it and the Blu-ray release getting DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound. This show, created by Sam Shaw and Dustin Thomason, is executive produced by J.J. Abrams, the cast for the first season features André Holland, Melanie Lynskey, Bill Skarsgård, Jane Levy, Sissy Spacek, Caleel Harris, Scott Glenn, Adam Rothenberg, and Terry O’Quinn. The 4K release will include the Blu-ray Discs of the first season as well, likely where the bonus materials are housed. Both releases will include a Digital Copy of the complete first season.
The bonus materials set to be included on the release are listed below.
- Blood on the Page (New Featurette)
- A Clockwork of Horror: Merging the styles of Stephen King & J.J. Abrams (New Featurette)
- Inside the Episode: Severance
- Inside the Episode: Habeas Corpus
- Inside the Episode Local Color
- Inside the Episode: The Box
- Inside the Episode: Harvest
- Inside the Episode: Filter
- Inside the Episode: The Queen
- Inside the Episode: Past Perfect
- Inside the Episode: Henry Dever
- Inside the Episode: Romans
It’s worth noting that this show has been picked up for a second season which is set to air sometime next year on Hulu. Further below, after the break, you can find the official announcement regarding the home video releases of this show in its first season.
Retailer Best Buy has three Exclusive Steelbooks on Blu-ray Disc planned for movies based on Stephen King stories. The TV mini-series “It“ (1990), TV movie “Salem’s Lot“ (1979), and film “The Shining“ (1980) will get Steelbook treatment on October 2nd via Warner. The titles are all available for PRE-ORDER over at Best Buy priced at just $12.99 each. Their art can be seen above and below, but the full-size art hasn’t appeared yet on the web side, just on the mobile app side.
These are all three re-releases already available on the Blu-ray Disc format. No new transfers or bonus materials will be found on the new Steelbooks. It’s my guess that these are just being repackaged, likely in a marketing tie-in, to go with the currently available Warner produced Hulu series “Castle Rock“ – based on Stephen King stories.
The 1986 Stephen King written & directed film “Maximum Overdrive“ is officially coming to Blu-ray Disc on October 23rd via Vestron Video (distributed by Lionsgate). We now have yet another retailer listing it with cover art and details about the bonus materials set to be included.
UPDATE: The title has now officially been announced and we were spot-on accurate with the date. Tech specs for the release include full 1080p HD video in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio and DTS-HD 2.0 Master Audio Stereo sound.
The title is now available for PRE-ORDER over at the following retailers: Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Best Buy, and DiabolikDVD – where we find the cover art (pictured above) and the list of bonus materials set to be included on the “Collectors Series” release. Those bonus materials are listed below.
- NEW: Audio Commentary with Writer Tony Magistrale, Author of Hollywood’s Steven King
- NEW: Audio Commentary by Actor and Comedian Jonah Ray and Blumhouse Film Executive Ryan Turek
- NEW: “Truck Stop Tales” Featurette – An Interview with Producer Martha De Laurentiis
- NEW: “Rage Against the Machines” Featurette – An Interview with Actress Laura Harrington
- NEW: “Honeymoon Horrors” Featurette – Interviews with Actor John Short and Actress Yeardley Smith
- NEW: “Maximum Carnage” Featurette – An Interview with Make-Up Effects Creator Dean Gates
- “A Kid in King’s Court” Featurette – An Interview with Actor Holter Graham
- NEW: “The Wilmington Factor” Featurette – A Look Back at the Filming of Maximum Overdrive with Members of the Production Crew in North Carolina
- NEW: “Who Made Who?” Featurette – An Interview with Murray Engleheart, Co-Author of AC/DC: Maximum Rock & Roll
- NEW: “Goblin Resurrectus” Featurette – The Restoration of the Happy Toyz Golbin
- Behind-the-Scenes Footage
- Still Gallery
- Theatrical Trailer
- TV Spots
As we had previously reported earlier this month in the form of a rumor that seemed to get more and more likely to be confirmed, it’s safe to say we can pretty much confirm this without even Lionsgate or Vestron Video themselves even announcing it, with as much as we have to go on now. Credit goes to our friend Dawn of the Discs for bringing this to my attention, from the point of the initial rumor, all the way up to now. The trailer for this release (on YouTube) can be found further below, after the break, along with the official announcement.
The 1986 Stephen King written & directed film “Maximum Overdrive” starring Emilio Estevez is rumored to be coming to Blu-ray Disc on October 23rd, likely from Vestron Video (distributed by Lionsgate). We got this RUMOR originally from our Twitter friend Dawn of the Discs in the tweet below, which shows a new featurette from Vestron Video and Red Shirt Pictures featured on video website Vimeo – originally reported by our friends over at Bloody-Disgusting.
***NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT***
100% CONFIRMED STEPHEN KING’S MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE IS COMING FROM THE VESTRON VIDEO COLLECTORS SERIES THIS YEAR pic.twitter.com/grICJLF685
— dawnofthediscs (@dawnofthediscs) August 14, 2018
There were actually a few videos up of featurettes from Red Shirt Pictures on Vimeo, before they were all made private. There was even footage shown of the film in high definition, but nothing stating that it had received any new scan or restoration. Here’s where it gets even more interesting. I’m told that, “the entire 98 minutes 37 seconds (Theatrical Cut) of the film was up on the site and could be viewed by anyone that checked.“
So here’s where the rumor meets some real validity. The listing over at Barnes & Noble with an October 23rd release date, really makes me think this is more than a rumor.
UPDATE #1: There seems to also be a placeholder page (pictured below) over at Best Buy, that isn’t functional yet, however does offer the very same October 23rd release date. So this rumor is really starting to solidify. Again, stay tuned for any further details on this release.
Major thanks to our friend Dawn of the Discs for the original tweet and some major details for this news story.
The 1982 George A. Romero directed film “Creepshow” written by horror author Stephen King is getting a new upgraded “Collector’s Edition” Blu-ray Disc release on October 23rd via the folks at Scream Factory (a division of Shout! Factory), as they announced yesterday. There’s no info regarding the tech specs or bonus materials detailed yet, but stay tuned, as they claim in September we will receive an update on that. The title is not yet available for pre-order over at Amazon yet, but expect it to be soon, and an update here when it is. It is available now however for PRE-ORDER right directly from Shout! Factory, where you’ll get some added bonuses, listed and pictured below.
THE FOLLOWING INFO BELOW REFERS TO THE EXCLUSIVE LIMITED-EDITION WEBSITE OFFER (ONLY 2,000 AVAILABLE):
• If you order Creepshow from our site directly you will receive the Blu-ray two weeks early and the following exclusively-made-for us items:
• A rolled 28.5” x 16.5” lithograph poster of the slipcase art
by Laz Marquez
• A rolled 18” x 24” poster of alternative art illustration, also
by Laz Marquez
The release is going to come with a rigid slipcover case, collectible booklet, and reversible cover art as pictured above in the promo. Just note that in the final retail version you just won’t get the posters and such if you don’t pre-order it through the distributor and are one of the first 1,500 to do so. That’s a limited edition run on the posters.
The full information regarding the release mentioned by Shout! Factory in their social media blaster yesterday can be found further below, after the break.