Tag Archives: Scream Factory
The 1987 film “Prince of Darkness“ is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on January 19th, 2021 via Scream Factory. The film, written & directed by John Carpenter, starred Donald Pleasence, Lisa Blount, Jameson Parker, Victor Wong, Dennis Dun, Susan Blanchard, Anne Marie Howard, Ann Yen, Ken Wright, Dirk Blocker, and Jessie Lawrence Ferguson. The release will come in the form of a “Collector’s Edition” as well as a “combo pack” — the latter meaning that it will come with its Blu-ray Disc counterpart.
Tech specs for the 4K release include a 2160p presentation in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio with Dolby Vision and HDR10 forms of high dynamic range as well as Dolby Atmos sound. The 4K UHD Blu-ray is now available for preorder over at Amazon. The bonus materials set to be included on the release are listed below.
- Audio Commentary with director John Carpenter and actor Peter Jason
- Theatrical trailer
- Audio Commentary with John Carpenter and actor Peter Jason
- Sympathy for The Devil –Interview with Writer/Director John Carpenter
- Alice at the Apocalypse –interview with Alice Cooper
- The Messenger – Interview with Actor & Special Visual Effects Supervisor Robert Grasmere
- Hell On Earth – A look at the film’s score with Co-Composer Alan Howarth
- Horror’s Hallowed Grounds with host Sean Clark
- Alternate Opening from TV Version
- Radio Spots
- Still Gallery
- Original Theatrical Trailer
The 1988 John Carpenter film“They Live” is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on December 8th via Scream Factory. NOTE: This marks the very first 4K release from Shout! Factory in their Scream Factory collection. The John Carpenter directed film starred Roddy Piper, Keith David, and Meg Foster. Tech specs for the release include a 2160p presentation with HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of High Dynamic Range and Dolby Atmos sound. The release will come with its Blu-ray Disc counterpart. If you all remember, I had posted last week that this release was rumored to be coming soon. Turns out that rumor was true.
UPDATE: The 4K UHD Blu-ray is now available for preorder over at Amazon. Keep in mind that it’s at MSRP (manufacturers’ suggested retail price) right now and should drop in its price over time. Also, keep in mind that Amazon features a “Pre-order Price Guarantee.” So, if it drops in price before the release date, they’ll refund you the difference.
You can also find the 4K available preorder over at retailer Target and directly via Shout! Factory — in a few different varieties. For those not interested in the other bundles available, the standard 4K release (with a bonus poster) via ShoutFactory.com is located here. Bonus materials set to be included on the 4K UHD Blu-ray Collector’s Edition release are listed below.
- Audio Commentary With Writer/Director John Carpenter And Actor Roddy Piper
- Independent Thoughts – An Interview With Writer/Director John Carpenter
- Man Vs. Aliens – An Interview With Actor Keith David
- Woman Of Mystery – An Interview With Actress Meg Foster
- Watch, Look, Listen: The Sights & Sounds Of They Live – A look At The Visual Style, Stunts And Music With Director Of Photography Gary B. Kibbe, Stunt Coordinator Jeff Imada, And Co-Composer Alan Howarth
- Original EPK: The Making Of They Live
- Footage From Commercials Created For The Film
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- TV Spots
- Still Gallery
The 1988 John Carpenter film “They Live” might be getting a 4K UHD Blu-ray release stateside soon via Scream Factory (Shout! Factory), according to an early retailer listing. No release date is given but I’m thinking perhaps sometime this year like November or December? Fair warning, this is a RUMOR. So, take this with a grain of salt, but it seems maybe, just maybe, according to a retailer listing that this might be happening. The film is showing up listed over at retailer Target right now as “THEY LIVE COLLECTOR’S EDITION (4K UHD/BLU-RAY)“ as you can see HERE (in case they remove the listing). It lists SHOUT FACTORY as the Movie Studio and Horror as the genre, as you’ll see there. Shout! Factory’s horror line of home video titles is Scream Factory, which has previously released this film on Blu-ray. So, this would be pretty logical, right?
Let’s be realistic here. This could have actually just leaked out a bit early? I’m only speculating here, folks. If it’s true, this could be huge news because the film itself has already been released on the 4K UHD Blu-ray format overseas in the UK back in 2018 and again in 2019 via Studiocanal, as well as in France. In fact, Studiocanal actually did 4K restorations of four John Carpenter films — all of which that Scream Factory currently distributes stateside. Let’s hope this turns out to be true and that more John Carpenter films are heading stateside to the 4K UHD Blu-ray format. Who knows, though? This could be nothing but I, as a huge fan of the director and this film, felt it was worth sharing with the horror community and 4K fans.
One well-known horror franchise is about to get a definitive box set fans have longed for. “Friday The 13th Collection [Deluxe Edition]“ is officially coming to Blu-ray Disc on October 13th, via Scream Factory. The twelve total films included in the 16-disc box set are listed below:
- Friday the 13th (1980)
- Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)
- Friday the 13th Part 3 (1982)
- Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)
- Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning (1985)
- Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986)
- Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988)
- Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989)
- Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday (1993)
- Jason X (2001)
- Freddy vs. Jason (2003)
- Friday the 13th (2009)
Tech specs here for this upcoming set include new 4K scans for the first four films in the franchise as well as a new 2K scan of the “Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday” film. The various aspect ratios and audio formats set to be here on the films have not yet been fully detailed by Scream, but stay tuned for an update.
The Blu-ray set is also available for preorder directly via ShoutFactory.com. It is certainly worth noting that this set will be limited in its run to a total of 13,000 units (according to the distributor’s press release). Physically it features a rigid slipcase to hold the discs in their individual cases with newly commissioned artwork. The set will include a collectible 40-page booklet as well.
Also, I’ve managed to learn directly the folks at Scream that you will be getting the third film (Friday the 13th: Part 3) for the very first time in digital 3D via the Blu-ray 3D format (as well as in 2D). That means there will be no cardboard red/cyan glasses or such are set to be included for that film, as were previously with the original Blu-ray from Paramount. Some of the new extras have been finished and announced, however, some of them are still in the works and will actually be detailed at a later point. So, you can expect to hear about that in the coming months — via an update to this post and on social media.
After the break, you can find the full details regarding this highly-anticipated upcoming Blu-ray box set.