Tag Archives: John Hurt
– Amazon Commissions Earned –
The 2005 film adaptation of “V for Vendetta” starring Natalie Portman and Hugo Weaving is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on November 3rd, via Warner. Some of you may remember me reporting this last month, and as of today, it has been confirmed via a press release from the studio. The film, directed by James McTeigue & based on the graphic novel (of the same title), had a screenplay adapted by The Wachowskis — Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski — both best known for writing & directing “The Matrix” (1999). The film co-starred Stephen Rea, Stephen Fry, Rupert Graves, Tim Pigott-Smith, and John Hurt.
Tech specs for the 4K release include a 2160p presentation in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of high dynamic range and Dolby Atmos sound. The movie has received a new scan according to the press release, quoted below.
“The 4K UHD release of V for Vendetta is from a new scan of the original camera negative.”
The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning that it will receive its Blu-ray Disc counterpart and come with a digital code (copy) of the film. You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon. Amazon will be getting an exclusive 4K UHD Blu-ray Giftset (as pictured below) which is now available for preorder, oddly enough.
Retailer Best Buy will also be getting an exclusive release of the film in the form of a 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook (pictured below), which is now available for preorder.
Bonus materials set to be included on the release, featuring some never-before-seen content, are listed below.
New Special Features on 4K UHD Disc:
- V for Vendetta Unmasked
- Natalie Portman’s Audition: Explore the depth of Evey’s character with Natalie Portman’s never-before-seen audition
- James McTeigue & Lana Wachowski in Conversation
Previously released Special Features on Blu-ray Disc:
- Freedom! Forever!: Making V for Vendetta – The cast and crew of V for Vendetta reveal the intense filmmaking process
- Designing the Near Future – A look at the artistic process of creating the frightening future world of V
- Remember, Remember: Guy Fawkes and the Gunpowder Plot – The history behind the story of Guy Fawkes
- England Prevails: V for Vendetta and the New Wave in Comics – The origins of the original V story is illuminated
- Cat Power Montage – Cat Power song played under images of the film
- Theatrical Trailer
- Easter Egg: Hidden Bonus: Saturday Night Live Digital Short
Further below, after the break, you can find the full press release from today announcing the 4K release of the film.
The 2005 film adaptation of “V for Vendetta” starring Natalie Portman and Hugo Weaving is coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on November 3rd, via Warner, according to sources. The film, directed by James McTeigue & based on the graphic novel (of the same title), had a screenplay adapted by The Wachowskis — Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski — best known for both writing & directing “The Matrix” (1999). The film co-starred Stephen Rea, Stephen Fry, Rupert Graves, Tim Pigott-Smith, and John Hurt. The standard 4K UHD Blu-ray release will come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning that it will come with its Blu-ray Disc counterpart and a digital code (copy) of the film.
Now, the reason that I kept calling that version the standard 4K is because there will also be an exclusive 4K UHD Blu-ray Giftset available over at Amazon which is already up and available for preorder (pictured below). This exclusive gift set seems to include not only cool packaging but also a collectible booklet about the film itself.
Final UPDATE: This title has now been officially announced and you can find more information in another post HERE on the site.
The 1980 film “The Elephant Man“ directed by David Lynch is finally coming to Blu-ray Disc, via The Criterion Collection, on September 29th. The film starred Anthony Hopkins, John Hurt, and Anne Bancroft. The release comes from a director-approved new 4K restoration of the film, which is presented in Black & white in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio with an uncompressed (PCM) 2.0 Stereo sound mix. The Blu-ray is now available for preorder over at Amazon. The details about the release and a list of bonus materials set to be included can be found listed below.
- New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed stereo soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Director David Lynch and critic Kristine McKenna reading from Room to Dream, a 2018 book they coauthored
- Archival interviews with Lynch, actor John Hurt, producers Mel Brooks and Jonathan Sanger, director of photography Freddie Francis, stills photographer Frank Connor, and makeup artist Christopher Tucker
- Audio recording from 1981 of an interview and Q&A with Lynch at the American Film Institute
- The Terrible Elephant Man Revealed, a 2001 documentary about the film
- Trailer and radio spots
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- PLUS: A booklet featuring excerpts from an interview with Lynch from the 2005 edition of filmmaker and writer Chris Rodley’s book Lynch on Lynch, and an 1886 letter to the editor of the London Times concerning Joseph Merrick, the “elephant man,” by Francis Culling Carr Gomm, chairman of the London Hospital at the time
- New cover by Sister Hyde
The 2004 Guillermo del Toro directed film adaptation of “Hellboy“ is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on October 15th via Sony. The film starred Ron Perlman, Doug Jones, Selma Blair, Jeffrey Tambor, and John Hurt. Tech specs for the release include remastered video in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range and Dolby Atmos, as well as the original theatrical 5.1 sound – likely in DTS-HD Master Audio. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with a Blu-ray Disc and digital copy (code) of the film included. UPDATE: This title on 4K UHD Blu-ray is now available for pre-order over at Amazon. There will also be a 4K Steelbook for the release Exclusive to retailer Best Buy, which is now available for pre-order but lacks any artwork. Stay tuned for an update on that.
Both the Theatrical and Director’s Cut versions of the film will be presented on the 4K disc. The bonus materials set to be included on the release, with some 4K exclusives, are listed below.
SPECIAL FEATURES ON 4K ULTRA HD
- ALL-NEW: Introduction by Guillermo del Toro
- ALL-NEW: “To Hell and Back” Retrospective Featurette
- Three Audio Commentaries Featuring Director Guillermo del Toro, creator Mike Mignola and the Cast
- “The Seeds of Creation” Documentary
- Theatrical Trailers
Further below, after the break, you can find the full details regarding bonus materials and such for the upcoming 4K release.
The 2008 Guillermo del Toro directed sequel “Hellboy II: The Golden Army“ starring Ron Perlman is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on May 7th, via Universal. The film’s cast featured Selma Blair, Doug Jones, John Alexander, James Dodd, Luke Goss, Anna Walton, Jeffrey Tambor, and John Hurt.
Tech specs for the 4K release include 2160p video in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range and DTS:X sound. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with a Blu-ray Disc and a digital copy of the film included. The 4K UHD Blu-ray is now available to pre-order over at Amazon. Bonus materials set to be included on both the 4K disc and the Blu-ray are listed below.
- Feature Commentary with Director Guillermo del Toro [also on the 4K disc]
- Feature Commentary with Cast Members Jeffrey Tambor, Selma Blair & Luke Goss [also on the 4K disc]
- Troll Market Tour with Guillermo del Toro
- Production Workshop
- Zinco Epilogue Animated Comic
- Comic Book Builder
- Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary by Director Guillermo del Toro
- U-Control: Scene Explorer: Schufften Goggle View
- U-Control: Director’s Notebook
- U-Control: Set Visits
- U-Control: Concept Art Gallery