Amazon Commissions Earned
The “Sony Pictures Classics 30th Anniversary 4K Ultra HD Collection” is coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on November 22nd via Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. This limited edition box set includes a total of eleven Sony Pictures Classics films, listed below (in chronological order):
- “Orlando” (1992)
- “The Celluloid Closet” (1995)
- “The City of Lost Children” (1995)
- “SLC Punk!” (1998)
- “Run Lola Run” (1998)
- “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” (2000)
- “The Devil’s Backbone” (2001)
- “Volver” (2006)
- “Synecdoche, New York” (2008)
- “Still Alice” (2014)
- “Call Me by Your Name” (2017)
The tech specs for the films include 2160p video presentations with HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of high dynamic range. The films vary in their Audio configurations but start with DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Stereo and then go to DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround as well as on “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” not only do you get 5.1 but also a new Dolby Atmos sound mix — as well as Dolby Vision for the first time. NOTE: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon had previously been released on 4K UHD Blu-ray in 2016 with HDR10 and 5.1 surround. So, a total of 10 out of 11 of these films are exclusive to this box set.
You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray set available for preorder over at Amazon. Below you can find some details about the upcoming set and the bonus materials set to be included.
Celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Sony Pictures Classics with this limited edition box set:
- Limited edition gift set includes fully remastered 4K UHD disc debuts for ORLANDO, THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN, THE CELLULOID CLOSET, RUN LOLA RUN, SLC PUNK, THE DEVIL’S BACKBONE, VOLVER, SYNECDOCHE NEW YORK, STILL ALICE and CALL ME BY YOUR NAME – the only way to get these movies on 4K UHD, plus CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON with Dolby Vision
- All eleven films presented with Dolby Vision HDR for the most premium presentation possible
- CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON also includes Dolby Atmos audio; all films include original theatrical audio, as well
- Includes hours of special features across the films: a mix of archival materials and exciting new content
- Also includes a booklet with an all-new essay about the legacy of Sony Pictures Classics and details about the included films
Below, you can find a glimpse at the packaging for the set including the booklet (mentioned above).
UPDATE: And, below you can find the official trailer for this release.
Further below, after the break, you can find the full details and tech specs for the upcoming set.
Amazon Commissions Earned
The 2021 film “Nightmare Alley” is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray on March 22nd via 20th Century Studios (Disney). The film, directed and co-written by Guillermo del Toro, stars Bradley Cooper, Cate Blanchett, Toni Collette, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins, Rooney Mara, Ron Perlman, Mary Steenburgen, and David Strathairn. It is certainly worth noting, at the time of writing, this film is “Certified Fresh” on Rotten Tomatoes.
The tech specs for the 4K UHD Blu-ray include a 2160p video presentation in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of high dynamic range and Dolby Atmos sound. Tech specs for the Blu-ray include a 1080p HD video presentation in the 1.85:1 aspect with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 lossless surround sound. The 4K UHD Blu-ray will come in the form of a “combo pack” with its Blu-ray Disc counterpart. Both the 4K UHD Blu-ray and the Blu-ray releases will include a digital code (copy) of the film.
UPDATE: You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon. You can also find the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray available for preorder over at Best Buy. It’s also worth noting that retailer Best Buy will also be getting an exclusive 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook (pictured below) which is now available for preorder as well.
The bonus materials set to be included with both the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-rau are listed below.
- Del Toro’s Neo Noir – Writer-director Guillermo del Toro and his standout cast decipher the dark, complicated world of Nightmare Alley. The filmmaker reveals how his take on noir is rooted in classic cinema but offers an accessible, modern narrative.
- Beneath the Tarp – Production designer Tamara Deverell and her talented team skillfully delivered both a decaying traveling carnival world and a gilded Art Deco high society with striking visuals. We explore how this design supported del Toro’s genre-bending filmmaking.
- What Exists in the Fringe – Costume designer Luis Sequeira unravels his collaboration with Guillermo del Toro and reveals the symbolism that’s constantly at play in the film’s carefully crafted wardrobe’s design.
Further below, after the break, you can find the trailer for the film and the official announcement regarding the home video releases.
The 2021 film “Antlers” is officially coming to Blu-ray Disc on January 4th, 2022 via Searchlight Pictures (Disney). The film, directed by Scott Cooper, was produced by Guillermo del Toro and David S. Goyer and its cast includes Keri Russell, Jesse Plemons, Jeremy T. Thomas, Graham Greene, Scott Haze, Rory Cochrane, and Amy Madigan.
The tech specs for the Blu-ray include a 1080p HD video presentation in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 lossless surround sound. You cannot yet find the Blu-ray available for preorder anywhere, but stay tuned for an update on that. The release will come with a digital code (copy) of the film and the following extras.
- The Evil Within – Co-writer/director Scott Cooper gives us a glimpse of the many complex layers at play in his approach to making Antlers, a horror film about very human concerns, and his most ambitious film to date.
- An Exploration of Modern Horror with Guillermo del Toro – Producer Guillermo del Toro traces the lineage of elevated horror in cinema. Employing his encyclopedic knowledge and passion for the horror genre, he discusses the connection between mythology and human behavior.
- Artifacts and Totems – The filmmakers discuss how they created this world of a small, tight-knit Northwest community of working-class Americans in bringing Scott Cooper’s vision to life.
- Gods Walk Among Us – An in-depth exploration of the digital and practical effects used to create the film’s primal creatures.
- Cry of the Wendigo – Discover the fascinating folklore behind the wendigo from the film’s First Nations consultants. Learn about the creature’s mythic origins and about its connection to man’s betrayal of the land.
- Metamorphosis – At the center of Antlers is a transformative performance by Scott Haze. Hear about the actor’s preparation for filming, including how he lost some 70 pounds in order to play a deeply tragic character.
- Comic-Con @ Home with Scott Cooper and Guillermo del Toro – Steve Weintraub moderates this candid Comic-Con@Home 2020 Panel interview with Guillermo del Toro and Scott Cooper. Hear the filmmakers describe their process, and learn who some of their filmmaking heroes are.
Further below, after the break, you can find the official trailer for the film and the full announcement for the home video release.
Amazon Commissions Earned
“The Monster Collection” (Collector’s Edition) will officially be coming to Blu-ray Disc on July 13th via Doppelgänger Releasing, a genre label of Music Box Films. This 3-Disc box set includes two documentaries: “The Frankenstein Complex” (2015) and “Phil Tippett: Mad Dreams and Monsters” (2019). Both documentaries were directed by Gilles Penso and Alexandre Poncet. If you’re a fan of horror, fantasy, and science fiction films you’ll definitely be interested in these documentaries that take a look at the design of famous creatures and characters from motion pictures. These documentaries feature some excellent interviews with famous special effects artists and directors such as Rick Baker, Guillermo del Toro, Joe Dante, Mick Garris, John Landis, Greg Nicotero, Kevin Smith, Chris Wallas, Phil Tippett, Dennis Muren, Tom Woodruff Jr., Matt Winston, and Paul Verhoeven. Tech specs for the release have not yet been detailed.
UPDATE: You can now find this Blu-ray set available for preorder over at Amazon.
There will be over 12 hours total of bonus materials included with this 3-Disc box set, which are listed entirely below.
- Feature Commentary with Phil Tippett and directors Alexandre Poncet and Gilles Penso
- “Meeting the Monsters” Making Of Documentary
- Prehistoric Beast (1985) a short film by Phil Tippett with audio commentary
- Mutant Land (2010) a short film by Phil Tippett with audio commentary
- Phil Tippett Museum: A Virtual Gallery of Tippett Creations
- Joy of Working with Phil: Interview with Paul Verhoeven
- Phil Will Fix This!: Interview with Joe Johnston
- Animating with Phil: Interview with Tom St. Amand
- Phil’s Vision: Interview with Chris Wallas
- Friendship, Robots, and Dinosaurs: Interview with Dennis Muren
- From Stop-Motion to Computer: Interview with Craig Hayes
- Memories and Archives with Phil Tippett
- Dinosaur Supervisor (Jurassic Park) with Phil Tippett
- Starship Troopers 2 with Phil Tippet and Jon Davison
- “Dinosaur!” with Paul Verhoevenand Jon Davison
- Mutant Fish (Piranha) with Joe Dante (1978)
- Modern Craftsmanship with Alec Gillis-Robot Design with Craig Hayes
- The Birth of a Poster with Paul Wee
- Musical Storytelling with Alexandre Poncet
- Mad Dreams and Monsters Isolated Musical Score
- “The Frankenstein Odyssey” Making Of Documentary
- “Digital Craftmanship” Post-Production featurette
- The Frankenstein Complex Musical Score
- Master Class with Guillermo Del Toro
- An Extended Conversation with John Landis and Joe Dante
- An Extended Conversation with Mick Garris
- An Extended Conversation with Steve Johnson and John Vulich
- Q&A with Joe Dante, Alexandre Poncet and Gilles Penso
- Inside the Lair of Rick Baker
- Inside the Lair of Tom Woodruff and Alec Gillis
- Paper Monsters: The Art of Charles Chiodo
- Living With Monsters: The Art of Kevin Yagh
- Sympathy for the Devil: Interview with Bernard Rose
- The Gremlins Pool: Interview with Sacha Feiner interview
- From Latex to Pixels: The Art of Gino Acevedo
- The Beauty and the Beasts: The Art of Ve Neill
- Deleted and Alternate Scenes
- Photo Galleries
- Theatrical Trailers
Below, after the break, you can find the trailers for the two documentaries as well as the full information regarding the release itself.
The 2019 Guillermo del Toro produced horror film “Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark” is coming to both 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on November 5th via Lionsgate. The film, directed by André Øvredal, stars Zoe Margaret Colletti, Michael Garza, Dean Norris, Gil Bellows, Lorraine Toussaint, Gabriel Rush, Austin Zajur, Natalie Ganzhorn, Austin Abrams, and Mark Steger. Tech specs for the 4K include 2160p video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of High Dynamic Range and Dolby TrueHD 5.1 sound. The tech specs for the Blu-ray include 1080p video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio and Dolby TrueHD 5.1 sound. The releases will both come in form of “combo pack” with the 4K getting the Blu-ray counterpart, the Blu-ray getting a DVD, and both getting a digital code (copy) of the film.
UPDATE: The 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc are both now available for preorder at Amazon and at retailer Best Buy.
Bonus materials set to be included on the release(s) are listed below.
- “The Bellows Construct” Featurette
- “Creature from the Shadows” Featurette
- “Mood Reels” Featurette
- “Behind-the-Scenes Trailers: Set Visits” Featurette
- “Dark Tales” Featurette
- “Retro Horror” Featurette
It’s worth noting that retailer Best Buy will be getting an exclusive 4K Steelbook release (pictured below) of the film, not yet available for preorder. Again, stay tuned for updates.
Lastly, below after the break, you can find the full details regarding these upcoming releases of the film.
The 2004 Guillermo del Toro directed film adaptation of “Hellboy“ is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on October 15th via Sony. The film starred Ron Perlman, Doug Jones, Selma Blair, Jeffrey Tambor, and John Hurt. Tech specs for the release include remastered video in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range and Dolby Atmos, as well as the original theatrical 5.1 sound – likely in DTS-HD Master Audio. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with a Blu-ray Disc and digital copy (code) of the film included. UPDATE: This title on 4K UHD Blu-ray is now available for pre-order over at Amazon. There will also be a 4K Steelbook for the release Exclusive to retailer Best Buy, which is now available for pre-order but lacks any artwork. Stay tuned for an update on that.
Both the Theatrical and Director’s Cut versions of the film will be presented on the 4K disc. The bonus materials set to be included on the release, with some 4K exclusives, are listed below.
SPECIAL FEATURES ON 4K ULTRA HD
- ALL-NEW: Introduction by Guillermo del Toro
- ALL-NEW: “To Hell and Back” Retrospective Featurette
- Three Audio Commentaries Featuring Director Guillermo del Toro, creator Mike Mignola and the Cast
- “The Seeds of Creation” Documentary
- Theatrical Trailers
Further below, after the break, you can find the full details regarding bonus materials and such for the upcoming 4K release.
The 2006 film “Pan’s Labyrinth“ is coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on October 1st via New Line (Warner), according to an early alert to retailers. The film, from Academy Award-winning director Guillermo del Toro, starred Ivana Baquero, Ariadna Gil, Sergi López, Maribel Verdú, and Doug Jones. Tech specs and bonus materials for the release have not yet been detailed but stay tuned for an update. You can find the film available now to pre-order over Amazon and Best Buy. It is known that the release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with a Blu-ray and a digital copy of the film included.