The 1989 TV mini-series “Lonesome Dove“ is getting a Special Edition Blu-ray Disc Steelbook release on July 9th via Mill Creek Entertainment. The mini-series featured an extraordinary cast of Robert Duvall, Tommy Lee Jones, Danny Glover, Diane Lane, Robert Urich, Frederic Forrest, D.B. Sweeney, Ricky Schroder, Anjelica Huston, Chris Cooper, Barry Corbin, Barry Tubb, and Steve Buscemi. The tech specs for the new Blu-ray will be identical to the 2015 release, including 1080p video in the 1.78:1 aspect ratio and Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. This new Special Edition Blu-ray Steelbook is not yet available to pre-order but there is a placeholder page over at Amazon. A digital copy of the mini-series will be included with the Blu-ray. Bonus materials set to be included on the release are listed below.
- Lonesome Dove – The Making of an Epic – featurette
- Cast Interviews
- On Location with Director Simon Wincer
- Original Sketches and Concept Drawings
- Interview with Pulitzer Prize-Winning Author Larry McMurtry
Further below, after the break, you can find more pictures of the Steelbook artwork, the trailer for the mini-series, and further details about the upcoming release.
The 1979 film “Apocalypse Now“ is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on August 27th via Lionsgate in a “40th Anniversary Edition” with a Final Cut of the film. Not only will that version be included but there will also be the original theatrical cut and “Apocalypse Now Redux” Extended Cut – along with the “Hearts of Darkness“ (96 minutes) documentary from 1991. The film, directed by Francis Ford Coppola, starred Martin Sheen, Marlon Brando, Robert Duvall, Frederic Forrest, Sam Bottoms, Laurence Fishburne, Albert Hall, Harrison Ford, Dennis Hopper, and Scott Glenn.
Tech specs for the 4K release include 2160p video, from a 4K restoration of the original negative, presented in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio with both Dolby Vision and HDR10 forms of High Dynamic Range along with Dolby Atmos sound. The release will come as a “combo pack” and include three Blu-ray Discs along with a digital copy of the film. UPDATE: The 4K UHD Blu-ray is now available for pre-order over at retailers Amazon and Best Buy. Stay tuned for an Amazon pre-order listing when it becomes available. Lionsgate has included what appear to be three screenshots in 1920 width (1080p) from this restoration as promotional material. You can watch the teaser trailer on YouTube (also in 1080p HD) if you’d like a better look at the quality but I’m going to include these for readers anyway.
Bonus materials set to be included on the release are very lengthy and span across a total of the 4K UHD Blu-ray disc and THREE Blu-ray Discs. This is going to run rather lengthy so I’m going to include it below after the break. Also further below, after the break, you can find the official trailer for the upcoming theatrical re-release and 4K release as well as the announcement.
The 1988 Francis Ford Coppola directed film “Tucker: The Man and His Dream” starring Jeff Bridges is coming Blu-ray Disc on August 28th via Lionsgate. The film is making its debut on Blu-ray format. This will come in the form of a “30th Anniversary Edition“. Tech specs included full 1080p HD video presented in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio and Dolby TrueHD 5.1 sound. The Blu-ray will include a Digital Copy of the film included. The title will NOT receive a 4K UHD Blu-ray release but instead a Digital 4K UHD release, just felt this worth mentioning.
UPDATE: This title is now available for PRE-ORDER over at Amazon.
Bonus materials set to be included on the releases are listed below.
- New Deleted Scene (with optional commentary by Francis Ford Coppola)
- New Francis Ford Coppola Introduction
- Audio Commentary by Francis Ford Coppola
- “Under The Hood: Making Tucker”
- “Tucker: The Man and the Car” 1948 Promo Film (with Optional Commentary by Francis Ford Coppola)
Further below, after the break, you’ll find the official announcement in full.
The 1983 Martha Coolidge directed romantic comedy “Valley Girl” with Nicolas Cage and Deborah Foreman is coming to Blu-ray Disc on October 16th via Shout Select (Shout! Factory). Tech specs for the release haven’t been detailed aside from including a new HD video transfer in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio. The release will come in the form of a “Collector’s Edition” with the first pressing set to receive a cardboard slipcover. The release is not yet available to pre-order over at Amazon, but stay tuned for and update.
The title is available to PRE-ORDER over at Shout Factory, where the first (ever so many) customers will receive a limited edition poster. Bonus materials set to be included on the release are listed below.
- NEW “In Conversation – Director Martha Coolidge with Actors E.G. Daily and Heidi Holicker”
- NEW “Greetings from the San Fernando Valley” (A short history of the iconic San Fernando Valley) Hosted by Tommy Gelinas of The Valley Relics Museum
- NEW Extended Interviews from 2003 with Nicolas Cage, Cameron Dye, Frederic Forrest, E.G. Daily, Colleen Camp, Lee Purcell, Producers Andrew Lane and Wayne Crawford, Peter Case of The Plimsouls, Josie Cotton, DJ Richard Blade, and more
- Storyboard to Film Comparisons
- Photo Gallery
- Feature Length Audio Commentary with Director Martha Coolidge
- “Valley Girl: 20 Totally Tubular Years Later”
- “In Conversation: Nicolas Cage and Martha Coolidge”
- “The Music of Valley Girl”
Further below you’ll find some official word from Shout! Factory regarding this release.