Amazon Commissions Earned
The 1992 biopic “Malcolm X” is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray via The Criterion Collection on November 22nd. The film, directed, produced, and co-written by Spike Lee, starred Denzel Washington (in the lead role) as well as Angela Bassett, Delroy Lindo, Al Freeman Jr., Albert Hall, Theresa Randle, Kate Vernon, and the film’s director himself Spike Lee. It’s most certainly worth noting that this film was nominated for two Academy Awards, including “Best Actor in a Leading Role” for Denzel Washington.
The movie has received a new 4K digital restoration supervised by cinematographer Ernest Dickerson. The tech specs for the 4K UHD Blu-ray release include a 2160p video presentation in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of high dynamic range as well as a DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 lossless surround sound mix. Tech specs for the Blu-ray include a 1080p HD video presentation in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio and DTS-HD MA 5.1 sound. The 4K release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with it including both the film Blu-ray counterpart as well as a Blu-ray bonus disc, in a 3-disc set. Whereas the Blu-ray release will be a 2-disc set with an extra disc for the bonus materials.
You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray releases of the film available for preorder over at Amazon or directly via Criterion‘s website. The bonus materials and details about physical extras set to be included are listed below.
- Audio commentary from 2005 featuring director Spike Lee, Dickerson, editor Barry Alexander Brown, and costume designer Ruth E. Carter
- New conversation between Lee and journalist and screenwriter Barry Michael Cooper
- New interviews with actor Delroy Lindo and composer Terence Blanchard
- Program about the making of the film, featuring Lee, Dickerson, Brown, Blanchard, Carter, filmmaker Martin Scorsese, actor Ossie Davis, Reverend Al Sharpton, former Warner Bros. executive Lucy Fisher, producers Preston Holmes and Jon Kilik, production designer Wynn Thomas, casting director Robi Reed, and Malcolm X’s daughter Ilyasah Shabazz
- Malcolm X (1972), a feature-length documentary produced by Marvin Worth and Arnold Perl and directed by Perl, narrated by actor James Earl Jones
- Deleted scenes with introductions by Lee
- PLUS: An essay by Cooper, excerpts from Lee’s 1992 book By Any Means Necessary: The Trials and Tribulations of the Making of “Malcolm X” . . ., and Davis’s eulogy for Malcolm X
- New cover by Eric Skillman
Amazon Commissions Earned
The 2021 film “A Journal for Jordan“ is officially coming to Blu-ray Disc on March 8th via Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. The film, directed by Denzel Washington, stars Michael B. Jordan, Chanté Adams, Jalon Christian, Robert Wisdom, Tamara Tunie, Jasmine Batchelor, and Marchánt Davis.
The tech specs for the Blu-ray include a 1080p HD video presentation in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 lossless surround sound. The release will include a digital code (copy) of the film. You can now find the Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon. The bonus materials set to be included with the release are listed below.
- Deleted Scenes
- Gag Reel
- Family Portrait: Making the Film
- Heart and Soul: Charles and Dana
- Words of Wisdom: The Journal
Further below, after the break, you can find the trailer for the film and the announcement regarding the home video release.
Amazon Commissions Earned
The 2021 film “The Little Things” is officially coming to Blu-ray Disc on May 4th via Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. The film, written & directed by John Lee Hancock, features a cast of Denzel Washington, Rami Malek, and Jared Leto. The tech specs for the Blu-ray include a 1080p HD presentation in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound. The release will come with a digital code (copy) of the film.
UPDATE: You can now find the Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon.
And, yes, there will be no physical 4K release of the film but it will receive a 4K digital release. The bonus materials set to be included on this Blu-ray are listed below.
- Four Shade of Blue
- A Contrast In Styles
Further below, after the break, you can find the full announcement about the home video release.
The 2007 Ridley Scott directed film “American Gangster“ starring Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe is coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on October 15th via Universal. The film, nominated for two Academy Awards, co-starred Chiwetel Ejiofor, Josh Brolin, Lymari Nadal, Ted Levine, John Hawkes, RZA, and Ruby Dee. Tech specs for the 4K include 2160p video in 2.35:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 and HDR10+ forms of High Dynamic Range and DTS:X sound. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with a Blu-ray Disc and digital code (copy) of the film included. You can find the 4K UHD Blu-ray now available to pre-order over at Amazon. Bonus materials set to be included on the release are listed below.
- Feature Commentary with director Ridley Scott and writer Steven Zaillian [also on the 4K disc]
- Fallen Empire: Making American Gangster
- Case Files
- Hip Hop Infusion Featuring Common and T.I.
- The BET Special: The Making of American Gangster
- Dateline NBC: American Gangster First Look
- “Do You Feel Me (Remix)” performed by Anthony Hamilton featuring Ghostface Killah
- “Blue Magic” from Jay-Z’s Album American Gangster
- Theatrical Trailer
- U-Control: Picture in Picture
The 2018 Antoine Fuqua directed sequel “The Equalizer 2” starring Denzel Washington is coming to both 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on December 11th via Sony. Tech specs for the 4K release include 2160p video in the HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range and Dolby Atmos sound. Tech specs for the Blu-ray release include 1080p HD video and Dolby Atmos sound. Both versions will be presented in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio. The two different releases will each come in the form of a “combo pack” with the 4K getting a Blu-ray, the Blu-ray getting a DVD and both getting a Digital Copy of the film included. The film on 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray are both available for PRE-ORDER now over at Amazon. Bonus materials set to be included on both releases are listed below.
- “Retribution Mode” with Denzel Washington and Director Antoine Fuqua
- 11 Deleted & Extended Scenes
- “Denzel as McCall: Round Two” Featurette
- The Equalizer 2 Pop Up Trivia Track
- “Seconds Till Death: Action Breakdown”
- “Through Antoine’s Lens: The Cast”
- Two NBA Promos
Below, after the break, you can find the cover art for the Blu-ray release.
The 1993 Jonathan Demme directed film “Philadelphia“ starring Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington is coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on November 27th via Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, according to an early alert to retailers. Tech specs and bonus materials for the release have not yet been detailed, but stay tuned for updates.
UPDATE: This will come in the form of a “25th Anniversary Edition” release as the cover art (pictured above) shows. Still no info yet regarding tech specs or bonus materials. The title is now available for PRE-ORDER over at Amazon.