Tag Archives: Dan O’Herlihy
Amazon Commissions Earned
1987 film RoboCop comes to 4K UHD Blu-ray in April
Amazon Commissions Earned
The 1987 film “RoboCop” will be getting both a 4K UHD Blu-ray Limited Edition box set and a 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook release on April 12th, 2022 via Arrow Video. The film, directed by Paul Verhoeven, starred Peter Weller, Nancy Allen, Dan O’Herlihy, Ronny Cox, Ray Wise, and Kurtwood Smith.
This movie has received a director-approved 4K restoration, as noted below.
“4K restoration of the film from the original camera negative by MGM, transferred in 2013 and approved by director Paul Verhoeven”
The tech specs for the 4K UHD Blu-ray include a 2160p video presentation in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of high dynamic range along with Dolby Atmos and DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Stereo, 4.0 (four-channel) surround, and 5.1 surround lossless sound mixes. This release will include both the Director’s Cut and Theatrical Cut of the film.
UPDATES: The release date has been pushed back from March to now April. No reason has been given as to why. You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray Limited Edition set and the 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook (pictured below) both available for preorder over at Amazon.
As mentioned, there will be a 4K UHD Blu-ray Limited Edition box set available and it contains some physical extras (pictured below). These physical contents are detailed a bit further below.
The full tech specs, bonus materials, and details about the physical extras included are all listed below.
4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
- 4K restoration of the film from the original camera negative by MGM, transferred in 2013 and approved by director Paul Verhoeven
- Newly commissioned artwork by Paul Shipper
- Director’s Cut and Theatrical Cut of the film on two 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray discs with Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
- Original lossless stereo and four-channel mixes plus DTS-HD MA 5.1 and Dolby Atmos surround sound options on both cuts
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing on both cuts
- Six collector’s postcards (Limited Edition exclusive)
- Double-sided fold-out poster (Limited Edition exclusive)
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly-commissioned artwork (Limited Edition exclusive)
- 80-page Limited Edition collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Omar Ahmed, Christopher Griffiths and Henry Blyth, a 1987 Fangoria interview with Rob Bottin, and archive publicity materials (some contents exclusive to Limited Edition)
DISC ONE – DIRECTOR’S CUT
- Commentary by director Paul Verhoeven, executive producer Jon Davison and co-writer Ed Neumeier (originally recorded for the Theatrical Cut and re-edited in 2014 for the Director’s Cut)
- Commentary by film historian Paul M. Sammon
- Commentary by fans Christopher Griffiths, Gary Smart and Eastwood Allen
- The Future of Law Enforcement: Creating RoboCop, an interview with co-writer Michael Miner
- RoboTalk, a conversation between co-writer Ed Neumeier and filmmakers David Birke (writer of Elle) and Nicholas McCarthy (director of Orion Pictures’ The Prodigy)
- Truth of Character, an interview with star Nancy Allen on her role as Lewis
- Casting Old Detroit, an interview with casting director Julie Selzer on how the film’s ensemble cast was assembled
- Connecting the Shots, an interview with second unit director and frequent Verhoeven collaborator Mark Goldblatt
- Analog, a featurette focusing on the special photographic effects, including new interviews with Peter Kuran and Kevin Kutchaver
- More Man Than Machine: Composing RoboCop, a tribute to composer Basil Poledouris featuring film music experts Jeff Bond, Lukas Kendall, Daniel Schweiger and Robert Townson
- RoboProps, a tour of super-fan Julien Dumont’s collection of original props and memorabilia
- 2012 Q&A with the Filmmakers, a panel discussion featuring Verhoeven, Davison, Neumeier, Miner, Allen, star Peter Weller and animator Phil Tippett
- RoboCop: Creating A Legend, Villains of Old Detroit, Special Effects: Then & Now, three archive featurettes from 2007 featuring interviews with cast and crew
- Paul Verhoeven Easter Egg
- Four deleted scenes
- The Boardroom: Storyboard with Commentary by Phil Tippett
- Director’s Cut Production Footage, raw dailies from the filming of the unrated gore scenes, presented in 4K (SDR)
- Two theatrical trailers and three TV spots
- Extensive image galleries
DISC TWO – THEATRICAL CUT
- Commentary by director Paul Verhoeven, executive producer Jon Davison and co-writer Ed Neumeier (originally recorded for Theatrical version of the film)
- Two Isolated Score tracks (Composer’s Original Score and Final Theatrical Mix)
- Edited-for-television version of the film, featuring alternate dubs, takes and edits of several scenes (95 mins, SD only)
- Split screen comparisons between the Director’s Cut and Theatrical Cut, and the Theatrical Cut and edited-for-TV version
- RoboCop: Edited for Television, a compilation of alternate scenes from two edited-for-television versions, including outtakes newly transferred in HD from recently unearthed 35mm elements
This release will only include two 4K UHD Blu-ray Discs and not the Blu-ray Disc counterparts. That Blu-ray of the 4K restoration was previously released back in 2019 in a limited edition set. Just be aware this is not what is often referred to as a “combo pack.”
Halloween III: Season of the Witch [Collector’s Edition] – 4K UHD Blu-ray Screenshots
Amazon Commissions Earned
All screenshots are uncompressed in full 3840 x 2160 resolution.
SOURCE: 2021 4K UHD Blu-ray release.
Data capacity: 74.25 Gigabytes (BD-100)
The Movie Uses: 66.1 GB
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
HDR Form(s): HDR10, Dolby Vision
Click on thumbnails for full-sized images lossless PNG image format.
This set of screenshots: 45 total
COMPARISONS, VIDEO & REVIEW SOON!
4K UHD Blu-ray Screenshots:
Blu-ray vs. 4K Screenshots Comparison:
SOURCES: 2012 Blu-ray (left), 2021 4K UHD Blu-ray (right)
2021 4K UHD Blu-ray Release
Amazon Commissions Earned
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The Last Starfighter Special Edition Blu-ray October
– Amazon Commissions Earned –
The 1984 action/sci-fi film “The Last Starfighter“ will be getting a Special Edition Blu-ray Disc release on October 13th via Arrow Video. The film, directed by Nick Castle, starred Lance Guest, Robert Preston, Kay E. Kuter, Dan O’Herlihy, Catherine Mary Stewart, Barbara Bosson, Norman Snow, and Robert Preston. This release is featuring a restoration from a new 4K scan of the original 35mm camera negative. Tech specs for the Blu-ray include a 1080p HD video presentation in the original 2.39:1 aspect ratio with a newly added DTS-HD Master Audio 4.1 sound mix, as well as DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, and the original uncompressed LPCM 2.0 Stereo mix. You can now find the Arrow Video Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon. The details regarding the new 4K scan, audio mix, and bonus materials as well as physical extras (in the first pressing) can be found below.
Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by Arrow Video to experience the 1984 sci-fi classic as you ve never experienced it before! Directed by Nick Castle, the man behind the Michael Myers mask in the original Halloween, The Last Starfighter tells the story Alex Rogan (Lance Guest), an arcade game whizz-kid whose wildest dreams comes true when he finds himself enlisted to fight in an interstellar war.
Now newly restored from a 4K scan of the original negative and featuring a 4.1 mix originally created for the film’s 70mm release never included on previous home video formats The Last Starfighter arrives loaded with brand new and archival bonus features. Strap yourself in: the Blu-ray adventure of a lifetime is about to begin!
- Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original 35mm camera negative
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
- Uncompressed 2.0 stereo, 5.1 DTS-HD MA and 4.1 audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Brand new audio commentary with Mike White of The Last Projection Booth podcast
- Archival audio commentary with director Nick Castle and production designer Ron Cobb
- Heroes of the Screen archival featurette
- Crossing the Frontier: The Making of The Last Starfighter archival 4-part documentary
- Image Galleries
- Theatrical and Teaser Trailers
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matt Ferguson
- PLUS MORE NEW EXTRAS TO BE ANNOUNCED!!!
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY physical extras:
- Limited Edition O-Card
- Limited Edition Reversible Poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Amanda Reyes and sci-fi author Greg Bear’s never-before-published Omni magazine article on Digital Productions, the company responsible for the CGI in The Last Starfighter
RoboCop [Limited Edition] – Blu-ray Review
Amazon Commissions Earned
RoboCop [Limited Edition] – Blu-ray Screenshots
RoboCop Limited Edition Blu-ray in November
The 1987 Paul Verhoeven directed film “RoboCop” will be getting Limited Edition box set and Steelbook Blu-ray Disc releases on November 26th via Arrow Video. The film starred Peter Weller, Nancy Allen, Dan O’Herlihy, Ronny Cox, Ray Wise, and Kurtwood Smith. The tech specs for the limited edition Blu-ray included 1080p video in the original 1.85:1 aspect ratio from a director-approved 4K restoration with lossless Stereo and 4.0 as well as DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound. This release will include both the Director’s Cut and Theatrical Cut of the film. You can find the Limited Edition Blu-ray box set and the Limited Edition Steelbook Blu-ray (pictured below) both available for pre-order now over at Amazon.
The Limited Edition Blu-ray box set version will include some physical bonus materials in the form of a booklet, a reversible sleeve, six collectible postcards, and a double-sided fold-out poster (pictured below).
Below, after the break, you can find details about this 4K restoration, the audio mixes, and finally see a full list of the bonus materials set to be included on the 2-disc set.