Tag Archives: Benedict Cumberbatch
The 2019 Director’s Cut of “The Current War“ is coming to Blu-ray Disc on March 31st, via Universal, according to retail sources. The film, directed by Alfonso Gomez-Rejon and executive produced by Martin Scorsese, featured a cast including Benedict Cumberbatch, Michael Shannon, Nicholas Hoult, Matthew Macfadyen, Tuppence Middleton, and Tom Holland. The tech specs for the Blu-ray include 1080p HD video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 sound on a BD-50 (50 gigabytes dual-layered) disc. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with a DVD and a digital code (copy) of the film included. You can now find the Blu-ray listed for preorder over at Amazon. The bonus materials set to be included on the release are listed below.
- Deleted Scenes
- Feature Commentary with Director Alfonso Gomez-Rejon
The 2019 Sam Mendes directed Academy Award-winning film “1917” is officially coming to Blu-ray Disc and 4K UHD Blu-ray on March 24th, via Universal. The film, nominated for a total of 10 and winner of 3 Oscars, starred Dean-Charles Chapman, George MacKay, Daniel Mays, Andrew Scott, Mark Strong, Colin Firth, Richard Madden, and Benedict Cumberbatch. This film was very well-received by both critics and moviegoers as, at the time of writing, it carries a “Certified Fresh” rating over at Rotten Tomatoes.
UPDATE: This title has, as of today (2/21), been officially announced by Universal. The tech specs for the 4K UHD Blu-ray includes 2160p video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio, on a BD-100, in HDR10, HDR10+, and Dolby Vision forms of High Dynamic Range with Dolby Atmos sound. The tech specs for the Blu-ray include 1080p HD video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio, on a BD-50, with Dolby Atmos sound. The bonus materials set to be included are listed below.
BONUS FEATURES ON 4K ULTRA HD, BLU-RAY:
- The Weight of the World: Sam Mendes – Academy Award® winner Sam Mendes discusses his personal connection to World War 1.
- Allied Forces: Making 1917 – Learn how the one shot, 360-degree format was executed and the pivotal role Academy Award® winner Roger Deakins served in bringing Sam Mendes’ vision to life.
- The Music of 1917 – Composer Thomas Newman and filmmakers discuss the important role of the Academy Award®-nominated score.
- In The Trenches – Go behind the scenes with the cast of 1917.
- Recreating History – Filmmakers offer a detailed look at the production design challenges of recreating the First World War.
- Feature Commentary with Director/Co-Writer Sam Mendes.
- Feature Commentary with Director of Photography Roger Deakins.
Both releases will come in the form of a “combo pack” – as seen via artwork – with the 4K getting its Blu-ray counterpart, the Blu-ray getting a DVD and each getting a digital code (copy) of the film included. You can now find both the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc listed for preorder over at Amazon, Best Buy, Target, and Walmart. Lastly, it’s worth mentioning that retailer Best Buy will be getting an exclusive 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook release for the film (pictured below) which is also available for preorder. Further below, after the break, you can find the full announcement regarding the home video release of this film. Read more
The 2016 Marvel Studios film “Doctor Strange“ starring Benedict Cumberbatch sure seems to be coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on October 1st via Marvel (Disney), according to multiple retailer listings. The film, part of the “Marvel Cinematic Universe” and directed by Scott Derrickson, co-starred Chiwetel Ejiofor, Rachel McAdams, Benedict Wong, Mads Mikkelsen, and Tilda Swinton. Tech specs for the 4K release include 2160p video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range and Dolby Atmos sound. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with the Blu-ray and a digital code (copy) of the film included. The 4K UHD Blu-ray is now available for pre-order over at Amazon. Retailer Best Buy will be getting a 4K Exclusive Steelbook release of the film (pictured below) which is available for pre-order as well.
The bonus materials set to be included on the release will be identical to those found on the previous Blu-ray, as they actually use that disc for the extras. No new extras will be included on this 4K release.
The 2019 Marvel Studios film “Avengers: Endgame” is officially coming to both 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on August 13th via Marvel (Disney). The film, directed by Anthony Russo & Joe Russo, stars Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner, Don Cheadle, Paul Rudd, Benedict Cumberbatch, Chadwick Boseman, Brie Larson, Tom Holland, and Josh Brolin. This movie set a record during its theatrical run, which has now been extended, grossing over 2.7 billion (so far) worldwide. The film also has received much critical-acclaimed and carries a “Certified Fresh” rating (at time of writing) over at Rotten Tomatoes.
The tech specs for the 4K UHD Blu-ray include 2160p video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range and Dolby Atmos sound. Tech specs for the Blu-ray include 1080p video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio and DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound. The scenes shot in IMAX will NOT be presented in their correct aspect ratio and sadly, will not expand to fill the screen. This and some other shortcomings of this release have been discussed already by our friend John Archer over at Forbes. Both releases will come in the form of “combo pack” with the 4K getting a Blu-ray, the Blu-ray getting a DVD, and each comes with a digital copy of the film. You can find the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray of the film now available for pre-order over at Best Buy. Stay tuned for an update when Amazon correctly lists the title on both formats. There will also be an exclusive 4K Steelbook release (pictured below) available over at retailer Best Buy which is now available for pre-order. Another retailer exclusive will come in the form of a 4K Booklet packaging over at Target.
Bonus materials set to be included on the releases of the film are listed below.
- Steve and Peggy: One Last Dance – Explore Captain America and Peggy Carter’s bond, forged in moments from previous films that lead to a momentous choice in “Avengers: Endgame.”
Blu-ray & Digital:
- Remembering Stan Lee – Filmmakers and cast honor the great Stan Lee in a fond look back at his MCU movie cameos.
- Setting The Tone: Casting Robert Downey Jr. – Hear the tale of how Robert Downey Jr. was cast as Tony Stark in the original “Iron Man” — and launched the MCU.
- A Man Out of Time: Creating Captain America – Trace the evolution of Captain America with those who helped shape the look, feel and character of this compelling hero.
- Black Widow: Whatever It Takes – Follow Black Widow’s journey both within and outside the Avengers, including the challenges she faced and overcame along the way.
- The Russo Brothers: Journey to Endgame – See how Anthony and Joe Russo met the challenge of helming two of the biggest films in cinematic history … back-to-back!
- The Women of the MCU – MCU women share what it was like to join forces for the first time in an epic battle scene — and be part of such a historic ensemble.
- Bro Thor – His appearance has changed but his heroism remains! Go behind the scenes to see how Bro Thor was created.
- Six Deleted Scenes – “Goji Berries,” “Bombs on Board,” “Suckiest Army in the Galaxy,” “You Used to Frickin’ Live Here,” “Tony and Howard” and “Avengers Take a Knee.”
- Gag Reel – Laugh along with the cast in this epic collection of flubs, goofs and gaffes from set.
- Visionary Intro – Intro by directors Joe and Anthony Russo.
- Audio Commentary – Audio commentary by directors Anthony and Joe Russo, and writers Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely.
Further below, after the break, you can find the artwork for the Blu-ray, the promo trailer for the home video release (that does contain spoilers), and then full details about the upcoming releases of the film.
The 2018 Illumination CG animated film “The Grinch” featuring the voice talent of Benedict Cumberbatch is coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray, Blu-ray Disc, and Blu-ray 3D on February 5th via Universal. The film, based on a book by Dr. Seuss, was directed by Yarrow Cheney and Scott Mosier. This animated film also features the voice talents of Pharrell Williams, Rashida Jones, Cameron Seely, Angela Lansbury, and Kenan Thompson.
Tech specs for the 4K release include 2160p in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio, on a BD-100, in both Dolby Vision and HDR10 forms of High Dynamic Range with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. The tech specs for the Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D include 1080p in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio, each on a BD-50, with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. Each release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with the 4K getting a Blu-ray Disc included, the Blu-ray getting a DVD included, the Blu-ray 3D getting a Blu-ray, and a Movies Anywhere compatible Digital Copy of the film included on each. You can find the 4K UHD Blu-ray, the Blu-ray Disc and the Blu-ray 3D available to pre-order over at Amazon. Bonus materials set to be included on the releases are listed below.
- Who’s Who in Who-ville (interactive map) – There are so many interesting characters that call Who-ville home that it’s hard to keep track of them all. This “Who’s Who” pop-up book uses animation to create a virtual storybook that takes us from Who-ville to Mt. Crumpit.
- “You’re A Mean One, Mr. Grinch” Lyric Video – Tyler, The Creator puts a modern spin on the Seussian Christmas classic.
- The Making of the Mini-Movies – Mini in size but not in heart, these short films are fan favorites. From the Grinch and Max to the Minions – you’ll explore the themes of each of the mini-movies through the eyes of the filmmakers who made them.
- From Green to Screen – It takes a lot to bring grumpy green to your home screen. This inside look at the making of Illumination’s Dr. Seuss’s The Grinch features interviews and behind-the-scenes moments with the cast, filmmakers and artists whose hearts have all grown three sizes bringing this classic tale to life.
- Illuminating THE GRINCH – Using filmmaker and cast interviews, concept art and progression reels, we take a behind-the-scenes look at how the characters evolved from initial sketches to fully realized characters.
- My Earliest GRINCH Memories – The cast and filmmakers of Dr. Seuss’s The Grinch reveal their earliest memories of the grumpy green character and the enduring appeal of this Christmas curmudgeon’s journey to redemption.
- Grinchy Gadgets – From his body-size blow dryer to his moving mechanical chair, from his catapult to his dog drone-rig and more… you’ll get to explore the wondrous world of Grinch’s gadgets.
- “I Am The Grinch” Lyric Video – A stylized look at Tyler, The Creator’s original song created just for the film.
- Songs From His Little Heart – Take a deep dive into the toe tapping beats of Dr. Seuss’s The Grinch. From score to specialty songs, you’ll hear from the film’s A-list musicians on what it took to create the music behind the movie.
- X-mas Around the World – Every culture practices Christmas in a slightly different way. We’ll highlight some of the more fun permutations of the holiday around the globe.
- Cindy-Lou’s Yule Log – Nothing says the holidays quite like an animated fireplace blasting fake heat from your living room television. Just in time for winter, we’ll recreate Cindy-Lou’s living room on Christmas Eve for all to enjoy.
- Production Babies – A celebration of the babies born to the filmmakers during the production of Illumination’s Dr. Seuss’s The Grinch.
- Any Who Can Draw – Hosted by an Illumination artist and head of story Mark O’Hare, you’ll see step-by-step how to draw some of your favorite characters from this beloved holiday classic; Grinch, Max and Fred!
- Yellow is the New Black – Before they all make their big escape from prison in Despicable Me 3, a couple of lucky Minions get a taste of freedom as they break free with the help of one of their fellow human inmates.
- Dog Days of Winter – Max braves the harsh winter weather and an uncooperative Who to bring a sick Grinch his favorite hot tea.
- Santa’s Little Helpers – Fan favorites – the Minions – are back for another adventure! Having been accidently dropped off at the North Pole, our Minion pals make the most of the situation by trying to become elves.
Further below, after the break, you can find the official announcement regarding these upcoming releases.
EDITORIAL NOTE: First off, these screenshots may contain possible “spoilers” – so, be prepared. Secondly, the links to PRE-ORDER this on all formats are over at Best Buy, because
another retailer apparently doesn’t want to take your money. No joke. They have neither version of the film available for pre-order, at time of writing this. I have to have somewhere to send my readers to purchase the film.