The 2018 Illumination CG animated film “The Grinch” featuring the voice talent of Benedict Cumberbatch is coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray, Blu-ray Disc, and Blu-ray 3D on February 5th via Universal. The film, based on a book by Dr. Seuss, was directed by Yarrow Cheney and Scott Mosier. This animated film also features the voice talents of Pharrell Williams, Rashida Jones, Cameron Seely, Angela Lansbury, and Kenan Thompson.
Tech specs for the 4K release include 2160p in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio, on a BD-100, in both Dolby Vision and HDR10 forms of High Dynamic Range with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. The tech specs for the Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D include 1080p in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio, each on a BD-50, with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. Each release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with the 4K getting a Blu-ray Disc included, the Blu-ray getting a DVD included, the Blu-ray 3D getting a Blu-ray, and a Movies Anywhere compatible Digital Copy of the film included on each. You can find the 4K UHD Blu-ray, the Blu-ray Disc and the Blu-ray 3D available to pre-order over at Amazon. Bonus materials set to be included on the releases are listed below.
- Who’s Who in Who-ville (interactive map) – There are so many interesting characters that call Who-ville home that it’s hard to keep track of them all. This “Who’s Who” pop-up book uses animation to create a virtual storybook that takes us from Who-ville to Mt. Crumpit.
- “You’re A Mean One, Mr. Grinch” Lyric Video – Tyler, The Creator puts a modern spin on the Seussian Christmas classic.
- The Making of the Mini-Movies – Mini in size but not in heart, these short films are fan favorites. From the Grinch and Max to the Minions – you’ll explore the themes of each of the mini-movies through the eyes of the filmmakers who made them.
- From Green to Screen – It takes a lot to bring grumpy green to your home screen. This inside look at the making of Illumination’s Dr. Seuss’s The Grinch features interviews and behind-the-scenes moments with the cast, filmmakers and artists whose hearts have all grown three sizes bringing this classic tale to life.
- Illuminating THE GRINCH – Using filmmaker and cast interviews, concept art and progression reels, we take a behind-the-scenes look at how the characters evolved from initial sketches to fully realized characters.
- My Earliest GRINCH Memories – The cast and filmmakers of Dr. Seuss’s The Grinch reveal their earliest memories of the grumpy green character and the enduring appeal of this Christmas curmudgeon’s journey to redemption.
- Grinchy Gadgets – From his body-size blow dryer to his moving mechanical chair, from his catapult to his dog drone-rig and more… you’ll get to explore the wondrous world of Grinch’s gadgets.
- “I Am The Grinch” Lyric Video – A stylized look at Tyler, The Creator’s original song created just for the film.
- Songs From His Little Heart – Take a deep dive into the toe tapping beats of Dr. Seuss’s The Grinch. From score to specialty songs, you’ll hear from the film’s A-list musicians on what it took to create the music behind the movie.
- X-mas Around the World – Every culture practices Christmas in a slightly different way. We’ll highlight some of the more fun permutations of the holiday around the globe.
- Cindy-Lou’s Yule Log – Nothing says the holidays quite like an animated fireplace blasting fake heat from your living room television. Just in time for winter, we’ll recreate Cindy-Lou’s living room on Christmas Eve for all to enjoy.
- Production Babies – A celebration of the babies born to the filmmakers during the production of Illumination’s Dr. Seuss’s The Grinch.
- Any Who Can Draw – Hosted by an Illumination artist and head of story Mark O’Hare, you’ll see step-by-step how to draw some of your favorite characters from this beloved holiday classic; Grinch, Max and Fred!
- Yellow is the New Black – Before they all make their big escape from prison in Despicable Me 3, a couple of lucky Minions get a taste of freedom as they break free with the help of one of their fellow human inmates.
- Dog Days of Winter – Max braves the harsh winter weather and an uncooperative Who to bring a sick Grinch his favorite hot tea.
- Santa’s Little Helpers – Fan favorites – the Minions – are back for another adventure! Having been accidently dropped off at the North Pole, our Minion pals make the most of the situation by trying to become elves.
Further below, after the break, you can find the official announcement regarding these upcoming releases.
EDITORIAL NOTE: First off, these screenshots may contain possible “spoilers” – so, be prepared. Secondly, the links to PRE-ORDER this on all formats are over at Best Buy, because
another retailer apparently doesn’t want to take your money. No joke. They have neither version of the film available for pre-order, at time of writing this. I have to have somewhere to send my readers to purchase the film.
In an early alert to retailers BBC Studios has made it apparent they plan to bring the popular series “Sherlock: Season One” to 4K UHD Blu-ray on November 6th. The British show, starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, premiered on the BBC back in 2010, and has run off-and-on for a total of four seasons (so far). With that being said, hopefully we’ll see more seasons of this show come to 4K next year. No tech specs yet, details on bonus materials or such, but stay tuned for an update, once BBC decides to officially announce the title. In the meantime, the PRE-ORDER is available over at Amazon now.
Disney has now officially announced plans to bring the 2018 Marvel Studios film “Avengers: Infinity War” to 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on August 14th. Tech specs for the releases are as follows: the 4K UHD Blu-ray will receive Dolby Atmos sound and the Blu-ray Disc will receive DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound. Both will be presented visually in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 High Dynamic Range. The pre-order listings are not yet available over at Amazon, but stay tuned for updates.
UPDATE: Forbes Tech journalist John Archer has received official word from Disney that this title will only receive HDR10 and not also include Dolby Vision – as most expected. Also, as many fans have expressed, even to me on social media, this release will be in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio strictly and not expand to the IMAX 1.90:1 aspect ratio as it did during its theatrical run. More info regarding this can be found in John’s article.
The 4K UHD Blu-ray release will come in the form of a “combo” pack with a Blu-ray Disc and Digital Copy of the film included. The Blu-ray Disc will include a Digital Copy of the film. Bonus materials set to be included on both versions are listed further below, after the break.