Tag Archives: Batman
The Batman swoops onto 4K and Blu-ray in May
Amazon Commissions Earned
The 2022 film “The Batman” is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on May 24th via Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. The film, directed by Matt Reeves, stars Robert Pattinson, Paul Dano, Zoë Kravitz, Colin Farrell, Jeffrey Wright, John Turturro, and Andy Serkis. It’s most certainly worth noting that, at the time of writing this, the film is “Certified Fresh” over at Rotten Tomatoes.
UPDATE #1: The release has just been officially announced by Warner and a press release has been issued. Tech specs for the 4K UHD Blu-ray to include a 2160p video presentation in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of high dynamic range and Dolby Atmos sound. The tech specs for the Blu-ray include a 1080p HD video presentation in a 2.39:1 aspect ratio with Dolby Atmos sound.
Both releases will come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning that the 4K UHD Blu-ray will get its Blu-ray counterpart, the Blu-ray will get its DVD counterpart, and each will include a digital code (copy) of the film.
UPDATE #2: You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray and the Blu-ray both available for preorder over at Amazon, where you’ll also see the rear cover artwork for each.
Also, you can find the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray available for preorder over at retailer Best Buy. The 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray are both now listed over at retailer Walmart, as well. And retailer Target has the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray available for preorder.
Speaking of retailers, now, let me cover all the retailer exclusives coming for this film. First off, Target lists that they’ll have a Blu-ray exclusive but the artwork appears to be the same, so I’m not sure what is unique about that version. However, rumor has it, it is said to include an exclusive 15-minute featurette and alternate artwork.
Next, retailer Walmart will be getting an exclusive 4K UHD Blu-ray Giftset (pictured below) which is now available for preorder. It does appear to include a 3rd disc (a Blu-ray) which could mean that it features some additional extras? We shall see.
“The Batman Walmart Exclusive 4K Giftset in a Batarang-themed box set. The Limited Edition Exclusive Giftset includes 2022 The Batman movie on 4K, Blu-ray, and digital copy. The giftset also includes a displayable metal faceplate featuring unique batarang art, a stand for display, and collectible packaging.”
And it’s most definitely worth mentioning that there will be an exclusive 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook available for the film over at retailer Best Buy (pictured below) where you can find it now as a functional preorder. Act fast, while those last, as they’re sure to sell out.
I’ll be updating this space throughout the day(s) with more links. The bonus materials set to be included on both the 4K and Blu-ray releases are listed below.
- Vengeance In The Making
- Vengeance Meets Justice
- The Batman: Genesis
- Becoming Catwoman
- Looking for Vengeance
- Anatomy of The Car Chase
- Anatomy of The Wingsuit
- A Transformation: The Penguin
- The Batmobile
- Unpacking The Icons
- Deleted Scenes with Director’s Commentary
Further below, after the break, you can find the trailer for the film [in 4K on Vimeo, in 1080p HD on YouTube] and the official announcement regarding the home video releases just received directly from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment.
Animated TV series The Batman on Blu-ray in February
Amazon Commissions Earned
The animated TV show “The Batman: The Complete Series“ is officially coming to Blu-ray Disc on February 1st, 2022 via Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. The show, which ran from 2004 through 2008, featured the voice talents of Rino Romano, Alastair Duncan, Evan Sabara, Danielle Judovits, Kevin Michael Richardson, Mitch Pileggi, Tom Kenny, Clancy Brown, and the late Adam West. The show has been fully-remastered in HD.
The tech specs for the Blu-ray, although not yet fully detailed, should presumably include a 1080p HD video presentation in the 1.78:1 aspect ratio with a lossless audio mix — likely in a 2.0 Stereo configuration — spanning across a 6-disc set. The release will come with a digital code (copy) of the complete series. You can now find the Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon. The bonus materials set to be included with the release are listed below.
- The Dark Dynasty Continues (NEW Featurette) – Explore the relationship between The Batman and his allies as he evolves from mysterious vigilante to the World’s Greatest Detective.
- Joining Forces: The Batman’s Legendary Team-Ups (Featurette) – How the series’ producers adapted the DC “Team-Up-Tales” approach from the comic books to the screen.
- The Batman Junior Detective Challenge (Quiz) – Alfred tests your detective skills with The Batman: The Complete Series challenge.
- The Batman Junior Detective Exam: Level 2 (Quiz) – Pass The Batman test of knowledge with the level 2 exam.
- Building Batman (Featurette) – Detective Ellen Yin investigates The Batman’s true identity.
- Gotham PD Case Files (Featurette) – Highly confidential profiles of The Batman’s most dastardly foes.
- New Look, New Direction, New Knight (Featurette) – Go behind the scenes to explore the development of The Batman television series.
- The Batman: Season 3 Unmasked (Featurette) – Supervising Producer Duane Capizzi talks about the animated series.
- The Batman: Season 4 Unmasked (Featurette) – A behind the scenes look into the making of Season 4.
Further below, after the break, you can find the full announcement about the Blu-ray release.
Catwoman Hunted on 4K and Blu-ray in February
Amazon Commission Earned
As announced today, during the “DCFanDome” 2021 event, there will officially be a DC Animated Movie called “Catwoman: Hunted” coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on February 8th, 2022 via Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. The film, directed by Shinsuke Terasawa, features the voice talents of Elizabeth Gillies, Stephanie Beatriz, Jonathan Banks, Steve Blum, Lauren Cohan, Keith David, Zehra Fazal, Kelly Hu, and Jonathan Frakes.
The tech specs for the 4K include a 2160p video presentation in the 1.78:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of high dynamic range and a lossless 5.1 sound mix (likely in DTS-HD Master Audio, although yet confirmed). The tech specs for the Blu-ray include a 1080p HD video presentation in the 1.78:1 aspect ratio and a lossless 5.1 sound mix. The 4K UHD Blu-ray will come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning that it will come with the Blu-ray Disc counterpart. Both the 4K and Blu-ray will include a digital code (copy) of the film which is compatible with Movies Anywhere.
UPDATE: You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon. You also can find the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray both available over at retailers Best Buy and Target. There’s no sign that either retailer will be getting an exclusive.
The bonus materials set to be included with the releases of the film are listed below.
- When The Hunter Becomes The Hunted (New Featurette) – When does the hunter become the hunted? In this case it’s when Selina Kyle steals the “Cat’s Eye” emerald and Batwoman informs her, “Congratulations, Selina, you just became Leviathan’s No. 1 target.” Those targeting Catwoman include wave after wave of assassins, ninjas, and Super-Villains – from Tobias Whale, Black Mask, Cheshire and Nosferata to Solomon Grundy, Talia al Ghul and Cheetah. In this all-new featurette, our experts break down the backstory of each integral villain.
- Catwoman: The Feline Femme Fatale – Watch the documentary on Catwoman’s history.
- Looking for a refresher course on animated Super Hero entertainment before seeing Catwoman: Hunted? HBO Max has a rich catalog of DC-centric films and series readily available for viewing!
Further below, after the break, you can find the trailer and full announcement about this upcoming release.
Batman Year One commemorative 4K in November
Amazon Commissions Earned
The 2011 animated DC Universe Movie “Batman: Year One“ will be getting a “Commemorative Edition” released to the 4K UHD Blu-ray format on November 9th via Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. The film, co-directed by Sam Liu and Lauren Montgomery, featured the voice talents of Ben McKenzie, Bryan Cranston, Eliza Dushku, Jeff Bennett, Jon Polito, Alex Rocco, Katee Sackhoff, Grey Griffin, Robin Atkin Downes, and Stephen Root.
The tech specs for the release include a 2160p video presentation in the 1.78:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of high dynamic range and the same lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 sound mix that was found on the previously released  Blu-ray. This set will come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning that it will include its Blu-ray Disc counterpart as well as a digital code (copy) of the film — compatible with Movies Anywhere.
UPDATE: The 4K UHD Blu-ray is now available to preorder over at Amazon.
The bonus materials set to be included with this release are listed below.
- NEW Featurette – Reinventing Gordon – An examination of the history of James Gordon through comics, animation, and feature films.
- Featurette – Conversations with DC Comics – The Batman creative team at DC discusses the personal influence of Batman: Year One on their careers. Batman producer Michael Uslan leads the chat amongst well-known writers, editors, and artists of Batman lore, focusing on the darker, realistic interpretation of Batman’s origins by Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli.
- Audio Commentary – Featuring co-producer Alan Burnett, co-director Sam Liu, DC creative director Mike Carlin and casting/dialogue director Andrea Romano.
- Featurette – Heart of Vengeance: Returning Batman to His Roots – “The Dark Knight Returns” provided the denouement of Batman’s life. Frank Miller’s next seminal work would provide his near-mythic origin in “Batman: Year One.” This documentary spotlights the contemporary genius of Miller and the audience that was poised to appreciate the depths of his work.
- DC Showcase – Catwoman (2011 Animated Short) – The felonious feline’s adventure takes her through the seedy streets of Gotham City. Eliza Dushku reprises her Batman: Year One role as the voice of Catwoman. The short is directed by Lauren Montgomery (Batman: Year One) from a script by Paul Dini (Batman: The Animated Series).
- DC Universe Movies Flashbacks
- Batman: Soul of the Dragon
- Batman: The Long Halloween, Part One
- Batman: The Long Halloween, Part Two
Further below, after the break, you can find the full official announcement regarding this upcoming Commemorative Edition 4K physical release of the film.
Batman: The Long Halloween, Part One – Blu-ray Screenshots
Batman The Long Halloween Part Two on Blu-ray August
Amazon Commissions Earned
The DC Universe Movie “Batman: The Long Halloween, Part Two“ is officially coming to Blu-ray Disc on August 10th via Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. The animated film was directed by Chris Palmer and features the voice talents of Jensen Ackles (“Batman/Bruce Wayne”), Naya Rivera (“Catwoman/Selina Kyle”), Josh Duhamel (“Harvey Dent/Two-Face”), Billy Burke (“Commissioner James Gordon”), Katee Sackhoff (“Poison Ivy”), Titus Welliver (“Carmine Falcone”), Julie Nathanson (“Gilda Dent”), David Dastmalchian (“Calendar Man” & “The Penguin”), Troy Baker (“The Joker”), Amy Landecker (“Barbara Gordon”), Fred Tatasciore (“Solomon Grundy”), and Alastair Duncan (“Alfred”).
The film is a continuation of Part One, which will be released in June on the Blu-ray format, as well. There will be a later 2022 release on 4K UHD Blu-ray of both parts of this animated film. The tech specs for the Blu-ray release of Part Two include a 1080p HD presentation with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 lossless sound. The release will come with a digital code (copy) of the film. Also, if Part One is any indication, you should likely be getting a Blu-ray SteelBook release over at Best Buy. However, that’s not yet been confirmed or is listed but stay tuned.
UPDATE: This Blu-ray is now available for preorder over at Amazon.
The Blu-ray release of Batman: The Long Halloween, Part Two will come with the following bonus materials.
- DC Showcase – Blue Beetle (New Animated Short) – Sufferin’ Scarabs! Silver Age Blue Beetle is back! And, had he ever starred in a 1960s Saturday-morning limited-animation cartoon with its own jazzy earworm of a theme song, it would have been just like this! Welcome to the adventures of Ted Kord, alias the Blue Beetle, as he teams up with fellow Super Heroes Captain Atom, The Question and Nightshade to battle that nefarious finagler of feelings, Doctor Spectro.
- A Sneak Peek at the next DC Animated Movie – An advanced look at Injustice.
- DC Universe Movies Flashback
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2
- Batman: Hush
- From the DC Vault
- Batman: The Animated Series – “Two-Face, Part 1”
- Batman: The Animated Series – “Two-Face, Part 2”
Further below, after the break, you can find the trailer for the film (just released today) and the full announcement regarding the home video release of Part Two.
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice [Ultimate Edition] Remastered – 4K UHD Blu-ray Screenshots
Batman The Long Halloween Part One on Blu-ray in June
Amazon Commissions Earned
The latest DC Universe Movie, the 2021 film “Batman: The Long Halloween, Part One” is officially coming to Blu-ray Disc on June 22nd via Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. This story will be split up into two parts, with “Part Two” planned for a later release. Part One was directed by Chris Palmer and it features the voice talents of Jensen Ackles (Batman / Bruce Wayne), Naya Rivera (Catwoman/Selina Kyle), Josh Duhamel (Harvey Dent), Billy Burke (James Gordon), Titus Welliver (Carmine Falcone), David Dastmalchian (Calendar Man), Troy Baker (Joker), Amy Landecker (Barbara Gordon), Julie Nathanson (Gilda Dent), Jack Quaid (Alberto), Fred Tatasciore (Solomon Grundy), Jim Pirri (Sal Maroni), and Alastair Duncan (Alfred).
The tech specs for the Blu-ray include a 1080p HD presentation and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 sound. The release will come with a digital code (copy) of the film.
UPDATE: There is now a preorder listing available for the Blu-ray over at Amazon. There also will be a Blu-ray SteelBook available as an exclusive over at retailer Best Buy (pictured below), now also available for preorder.
The bonus materials set to be included with this release of the film are listed below.
- DC Showcase – The Losers (New Animated Short) – The legendary rag-tag team of World War II outcasts – Captain Storm, Johnny Cloud, “Mile-a Minute” Jones, rookie Gunner and Sarge – find themselves marooned on an uncharted island in the South Pacific that is completely overrun with dinosaurs! Their would-be ally on this deadly mission, the mysterious and beautiful Fan Long of the Chinese Security Agency, tells them their job is to rescue the scientists that have been sent to study the time/space anomaly. Perhaps… but what is her mission?
- A Sneak Peek at the next DC Universe Movie – An advance look at the next animated film in the popular DC Universe Movies collection, Batman: The Long Halloween, Part Two.
- From the DC Vault – Batman: The Animated Series – “Christmas With The Joker”
- From the DC Vault – Batman: The Animated Series – “It’s Never Too Late”
EDITORIAL NOTE: Lastly, before you ask, there will be a 4K UHD Blu-ray release later, next year in 2022, where they’ll be combining both this [Part One] and Part Two together as one presentation, as noted below in the press release.
“In 2022, Batman: The Long Halloween, Part Two will be available on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack as a combined presentation of the film with Batman: The Long Halloween, Part One.”
Below, after the break, you can find the trailer for the film and the full details regarding this upcoming release.
Zack Snyder’s Batman v Superman remastered 4K in March
Amazon Commissions Earned
The 2016 Zack Snyder film “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” in the “Ultimate Edition” has been remastered and approved by the director and will be receiving a new 4K UHD Blu-ray release on March 23rd via Warner Archive, according to numerous retailers now. I had been reporting this as a RUMOR thread over on Twitter for a day or so and it’s becoming apparent that I was right. Still, this should be only considered a rumor until the title gets an official announcement from the studio [Warner], Warner Archive, or via Zack Snyder. The remastered version of this film will include the 183-minute “Ultimate Edition” with some color corrections and most importantly the correct 1.43:1 IMAX aspect ratio on those scenes and the shifts to and from the 2.35:1 aspect ratio.
That said, it should come with the very same HDR10 and Dolby Atmos found on the previous 4K UHD Blu-ray release of the film, but nothing as of now has been officially confirmed. You can find the newly restored version of “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition” on 4K UHD Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon as well as at retailers Deep Discount and Target, and Walmart. The release will come with just a 4K UHD Blu-ray Disc and a digital code (copy) of the film included. There’s no word if bonus materials will be included with this release of the film or not. Considering that it doesn’t appear to include the Blu-ray, it would mean they would have to all be housed on the 4K disc. So, stay tuned regarding that when this hopefully gets a full official announcement and/or confirmation soon.
UPDATE #1: Well, I think we can consider it official now, folks, just lacking a press release, as the 4K UHD Blu-ray is now listed over on WBShop.com (as Warner Archive) as shown below.
UPDATE #2: It’s official. The “Batman v Superman” official Twitter account just shared a video and announced the release date that we all had been seeing and I was telling you from the start. This video is very much work checking out as it will show you how the aspect ratio shift from 2.35:1 to real IMAX 1.43:1 will work. This also confirms some color correction as well. See the tweet here (or embedded below).
Get ready to experience #BatmanvSuperman in a whole new way. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition available to own on Digital and stream on @hbomax 3/18. Available on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray 3/23. pic.twitter.com/sse4LlZVPX
— Batman v Superman (@BatmanvSuperman) March 4, 2021
EDITORIAL NOTE: This will mark the very FIRST 4K UHD Blu-ray release from Warner Archive if this turns out to be true. It’s pretty obvious that it is, so let’s now consider that Warner’s line of home video releases will include 4K titles in the future via the Warner Archives. I’ll be the first to say welcome to the 4K physical release scene, Warner Archive. And, until further information about this release comes along: “That’s All, Folks!!”