The 1994 film “Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein” is coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on March 29th, 2022 via Arrow Video. The film, directed by Kenneth Branagh and from a script co-written by Frank Darabont, starred Robert De Niro, Helena Bonham Carter, Tom Hulce, Aidan Quinn, Kenneth Branagh, and Ian Holm.
The movie has received a new 4K restoration, as noted below.
“New 4K restoration from the original camera negatives by Sony Pictures Entertainment”
The tech specs for the 4K UHD Blu-ray include a 2160p video presentation in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio with Dolby Vision and HDR10 forms of high dynamic range and Uncompressed 2.0 Stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 lossless surround sound.
UPDATE #2: You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon. Online retailer Zavvi will be getting an exclusive 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook release of the film, now available for preorder (pictured below).
The bonus materials and also physical extras (in first pressing) set to be included with the 4K UHD Blu-ray are listed below.
- Brand new audio commentary by film historians Michael Brooke and Johnny Mains
- Brand new interview with composer Patrick Doyle
- Brand new interview with costumer designer James Acheson
- Brand new interview with make-up designer Daniel Parker
- Mary Shelley and The Creation of a Monster, a brand new documentary featurette on the origins and evolution of the Frankenstein story, featuring Gothic specialists David Pirie, Jonathan Rigby and Stephen Volk
- Dissecting Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, a brand new featurette with David Pirie, Jonathan Rigby and Stephen Volk on the differences between the novel and Kenneth Branagh’s screen adaptation
- Frankenstein: A Liberal Adaptation from Mrs. Shelley’s Famous Story for Edison Production (1910): The first screen adaptation of Shelley’s story in a 2K restoration by the Library of Congress, with music by Donald Sosin
- Original trailers
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Laz Marquez
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Jon Towlson and Amy C. Chambers