Amazon Commissions Earned
The 1985 cult classic horror/comedy “The Return of the Living Dead“ is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on October 18th via Scream Factory (Shout! Factory). The film, directed by Dan O’Bannon, starred Clu Gulager, Don Calfa, James Karen, Thom Mathews, Beverly Randolph, John Philbin, Jewel Shepard, Miguel A. Núñez Jr., Brian Peck, Linnea Quigley, and Mark Venturini.
The tech specs for the release will include a 2160p video presentation in the original 1.85:1 aspect ratio with [likely at least] HDR10 form of high dynamic range and presumably a lossless sound mix in either/or 5.1 or 2.0 configuration(s). Perhaps they’ll even do a Dolby Atmos mix? I can’t yet say for certain because the official tech specs have yet to be announced, along with the extras to be included with the release but stay tuned for a later update on that.
The release will come as a “combo pack” with the Blu-ray Disc counterpart included and seemingly another Blu-ray for extras, in what is said to be a 3-disc set. You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon as well as directly via ShoutFactory.com where you’ll find an exclusive poster. Also, Shout! Factory Store will have an exclusive enamel pin set and you can find that [limited to 1000] set available for preorder now.
Amazon Commissions Earned
The “Friday the 13th 8-Movie Collection“ is officially coming to Blu-ray via Paramount Home Entertainment on August 10th. This 6-disc set will include the following films from the franchise:
- “FRIDAY THE 13th” (1980)
- “FRIDAY THE 13th Uncut” (1980)
- “FRIDAY THE 13th Part 2″ (1981)
- “FRIDAY THE 13th Part 3″ (1982)
- “FRIDAY THE 13th Part IV: The Final Chapter” (1984)
- “FRIDAY THE 13th Part V: A New Beginning” (1985)
- “FRIDAY THE 13th Part VI: Jason Lives” (1986)
- “FRIDAY THE 13th Part VII: The New Blood” (1988)
- “FRIDAY THE 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan” (1989)
The tech specs for the films in this set have yet to be detailed. Also, the bonus materials have not yet been fully listed but there will be extras, as described below.
“… gushing over with hours of previously released special features including slashed scenes, making of featurettes, killer commentaries and much, much more.”
Stay tuned for a possible update on the tech specs for this release soon. It is known that the first four films in this set have been remastered. You will get a digital copy of 8 movies included. This 8-Movie Collection Blu-ray set is now available for preorder over at Amazon.
Below, after the break, you can find the official announcement regarding the release.
– Amazon Commissions Earned –
One well-known horror franchise is about to get a definitive box set fans have longed for. “Friday The 13th Collection [Deluxe Edition]“ is officially coming to Blu-ray Disc on October 13th, via Scream Factory. The twelve total films included in the 16-disc box set are listed below:
- Friday the 13th (1980)
- Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)
- Friday the 13th Part 3 (1982)
- Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)
- Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning (1985)
- Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986)
- Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988)
- Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989)
- Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday (1993)
- Jason X (2001)
- Freddy vs. Jason (2003)
- Friday the 13th (2009)
Tech specs here for this upcoming set include new 4K scans for the first four films in the franchise as well as a new 2K scan of the “Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday” film. The various aspect ratios and audio formats set to be here on the films have not yet been fully detailed by Scream, but stay tuned for an update.
UPDATE: You can now find this Blu-ray set available for preorder over at Amazon.
The Blu-ray set is also available for preorder directly via ShoutFactory.com. It is certainly worth noting that this set will be limited in its run to a total of 13,000 units (according to the distributor’s press release). Physically it features a rigid slipcase to hold the discs in their individual cases with newly commissioned artwork. The set will include a collectible 40-page booklet as well.
Also, I’ve managed to learn directly the folks at Scream that you will be getting the third film (Friday the 13th: Part 3) for the very first time in digital 3D via the Blu-ray 3D format (as well as in 2D). That means there will be no cardboard red/cyan glasses or such are set to be included for that film, as were previously with the original Blu-ray from Paramount. Some of the new extras have been finished and announced, however, some of them are still in the works and will actually be detailed at a later point. So, you can expect to hear about that in the coming months — via an update to this post and on social media.
After the break, you can find the full details regarding this highly-anticipated upcoming Blu-ray box set.
Scream Factory (Shout! Factory) has just detailed the upcoming August 14th release of “Return of the Living Dead Part II” Collector’s Edition Blu-ray Disc. Tech specs have yet to be confirmed, but I have reached out to Shout! Factory for some definitive info. So, stay tuned on that side. We do know however that this 1988 film will come to us remastered (via “scans from the interpositive” film negative). This is available for PRE-ORDER over at Amazon. Bonus materials and other details given are listed below.
- NEW 2K scans from the interpositive
- NEW Audio Commentary with actress Suzanne Snyder
- NEW Audio Commentary with Gary Smart (co-author of The Complete History of the Return of the Living Dead) and filmmaker Christopher Griffiths
- NEW Back to the Dead: The Effects of “Return of the Living Dead Part II” – including interviews with Special Make-up Effects creator Kenny Myers and Special Make-up Effects artists Andy Schoneberg and Mike Smithson
- NEW The Laughing Dead – a new interview with writer/director Ken Wiederhorn
- NEW Undead Melodies – an interview with composer J. Peter Robinson
- NEW interview with actor Troy Fromin
- Audio Commentary with writer/director Ken Wiederhorn and co-star Thor Van Lingen
- They Won’t Stay Dead: A Look at RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD II including interviews with James Karen, Thom Matthews, Brian Peck, Kenny Myers, Susan Snyder, Michael Kenworthy and more…
- Archival Featurette – Live from the Set
- Archival interviews with Ken Wiederhorn, James Karen, Thom Matthews and Kenny Myers
- Behind the Scenes footage
- Theatrical Trailer and Teaser Trailer
- TV Spots
- Still Gallery of posters and stills
- Still Gallery of Behind-the-Scenes stills from Makeup Effects artists Kenny Myers and Mike Smithson