Amazon Commissions Earned
“Superman: The Animated Series” will finally be officially coming to Blu-ray Disc, for the very first time, on October 26th via Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. The release will come as “Superman: The Complete Animated Series“ (Collector’s Edition) on Blu-ray. The animated TV series ran from 1996 through 2000 and featured the voices of Tim Daly (as “Superman” / “Clark Kent”), Dana Delany (as “Lois Lane”), David Kaufman (as “Jimmy Olsen”), and Clancy Brown (as “Lex Luthor”).
The tech specs for the release include a 1080p HD video presentation in the 1.33:1 aspect ratio and a lossless sound mix, presumably in DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Stereo, spanning across a 6-disc set. They’ve actually gone to some really great lengths to remaster the show, as you can read below.
“All 54 episodes have been remastered from the original 35mm Interpositive sources, giving special attention to extensive color correction, dirt and scratch clean up, and adding a grain reduction pass to create a pristine picture, all while making sure not to affect the original lines in the artwork of the animation. The audio was retransferred from the original audio masters, and the series is presented in its original aspect ratio (4×3).”
UPDATE: You can now find the Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon.
The release will come with a digital code (copy) of all three seasons of the TV series. The bonus materials set to be included on this set are listed below.
Superman: The Complete Animated Series – Enhanced Content
- Superman: Timeless Icon (New Featurette) – An all-new bonus feature, produced specifically for the remastered Blu-ray release of Superman: The Animated Series, reveals the complicated journey of the show and those who created the new mythology for The Man of Steel, as told by producers Bruce Timm and Paul Dini, director Dan Riba, writer Bob Goodman, casting/dialogue director Andrea Romano, and Tim Daly & Clancy Brown, the heralded voices of Superman and Lex Luthor, respectively.
- A Little Piece of Trivia (Featurette) – So you think you know your Superman trivia? Wait until you hear about the series’ connection to Telly Savalas! A brain teaser to entertain every Superman: The Animated Series fan!
- Superman: Learning to Fly (Featurette) – Get into the minds of the creative team behind Superman: The Animated Series as they detail the birth of this animated version of Superman and his incredible worlds. Featured speakers include producers Paul Dini, Bruce Timm and Alan Burnett, art director/producer Glen Murakami and directors Dan Riba and James Tucker.
- Building the Mythology: Superman’s Supporting Cast (Featurette) – The characters around Superman get the spotlight in this in-depth look at everyone from Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen and Perry White to Maggie Sawyer, Lana Lang, and Ma & Pa Kent. Producers Paul Dini, Bruce Timm and Alan Burnett, art director/producer Glen Murakami and directors Dan Riba and James Tucker give viewers the inside scoop.
- Menaces of Metropolis: Behind the Villains of Superman (Featurette) – Your hero is only as good as the villains around him, and Superman: The Animated Series has a rogues’ gallery of top-grade baddies, including traditional opponents Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Bizarro, Metallo, Mr. Mxyzptlk, Toyman and Parasite, as well as new villains created for the series – like Live Wire and Luminus. Producers Bruce Timm, Alan Burnett and Paul Dini, directors James Tucker and Dan Riba and casting/dialogue director Andrea Romano give us a tour of the villains.
- The Despot Darkseid: A Villain Worthy of Superman (Featurette) – Darkseid takes center stage in this examination of one of The Man of Steel’s most vicious adversaries, plus other Fourth World characters that appear in Superman: The Animated Series. The featurette includes producers Paul Dini, Bruce Timm and Alan Burnett, art director/producer Glen Murakami, writers Rich Fogel and Stan Berkowitz, director James Tucker and Charles Hatfield (Department of English, Cal State Northridge).
- Audio Commentaries
- Stolen Memories – producers Bruce Timm, Paul Dini and Alan Burnett, director Curt Geda and art director/producer Glen Murakami.
- The Last Son of Krypton – Part 1 – producers Bruce Timm, Paul Dini and Alan Burnett, director Dan Riba and art director/producer Glen Murakami.
- The Main Man – Part 2 – producers Bruce Timm and Paul Dini, director Dan Riba and art director/producer Glen Murakami.
- Video Commentary
- Mxyzpixilated – producer Bruce Timm, producer/writer Paul Dini, director Dan Riba and moderator Jason Hillhouse.
Further below, after the break, you can find the full details about this Blu-ray box set.
Amazon Commissions Earned
“Smallville: The Complete Series“ is officially coming to Blu-ray Disc on October 19th, via Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, to celebrate the 20th anniversary. The series ran from 2001 up until 2011 for a total of 10 seasons and 217 episodes. “Smallville” starred Tom Welling, Allison Mack, Kristin Kreuk, Michael Rosenbaum, John Glover, Erica Durance, Annette O’Toole, and John Schneider. NOTE: The first 5 seasons of this show have never been released on the Blu-ray Disc format.
Tech specs for the Blu-ray release include a 1080p HD video presentation in the 1.78:1 aspect ratio and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 lossless surround sound for all episodes. This will be a 42-disc set, with 40 discs as Blu-ray Disc (BD-50) and 2 DVDs (for bonus materials). The release will come with a digital code (copy) of the entire series.
UPDATE: You can now find the Blu-ray box set available for preorder over at Amazon.
Bonus materials set to be included on this release are over 28 hours in length and you can find a bit of those detailed below.
“Smallville: The Complete Series 20th Anniversary Edition includes 2 DVD discs with over 28 hours of bonus features originally released on the Smallville Seasons 1-10 DVD sets.”
MORE THAN 28 HOURS OF BONUS FEATURES
- The Adventures of Superboy – The original 1961 pilot starring John Rockwell.
- A Retrospective Look at the Series’ 10-Year Journey – An in-depth, season-by-season look at the creation of this landmark television series. Highlights include interviews with Tom Welling, Eric Durance, Michael Rosenbaum, Phil Morris, John Schneider and many more, as well as rare behind-the-scenes footage.
- A Decade of Comic-Con Featurette
- Paley Festival Featurette
- Smallville’s 100th Episode: Making of a Milestone – An extended version of the original featurette included in the Season 5 set.
- Secret Origin: The American Story of DC Comics – A feature length documentary chronicling DC’s 75 years of challenges, creativity, and triumph.
- Audio Commentaries, Deleted and Extended Scenes, Gag Reels, Behind-the-scenes featurettes and much more from all 10 seasons!
Below, after the break, you can find the full announcement regarding this release.
Amazon Commissions Earned
The TV series “Superman & Lois: The Complete First Season“ is officially coming to Blu-ray Disc on October 19th via Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. The TV series, as seen over on The CW network, stars Tyler Hoechlin, Elizabeth Tulloch, Alex Garfin, Jordan Elsass, Erik Valdez, Inde Navarrette, Wolé Parks, and Adam Rayner.
The tech specs for the Blu-ray release of the first season of the show include a 1080p HD video presentation in the 2.20:1 aspect ratio and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 lossless surround sound, spanning across a 3 disc set. The release will come with a digital code (copy) of the first season of the show. You can now find the Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon. The bonus materials set to be included with the release are listed below, featuring extended one-hour episodes.
- Superman: Alien Spirit
- Superman and Lois Legacy of Hope
- Never Alone: Heroes and Allies
- DC FanDome Panel: Superman & Lois
15 ONE-HOUR EXTENDED EPISODES
- The Perks of Not Being a Wallflower
- The Best of Smallville
- Broken Trust
- Man of Steel
- Holding the Wrench
- Loyal Subjekts
- O Mother, Where Art Thou?
- A Brief Reminiscence In-Between Cataclysmic Events
- Through the Valley of Death
- Fail Safe
- The Eradicator
- Last Sons of Krypton
Further below, after the break, you can find the full announcement about the home video release of the first season of this TV series.
Amazon Commissions Earned
The 2016 Zack Snyder film “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” in the “Ultimate Edition” has been remastered and approved by the director and will be receiving a new 4K UHD Blu-ray release on March 23rd via Warner Archive, according to numerous retailers now. I had been reporting this as a RUMOR thread over on Twitter for a day or so and it’s becoming apparent that I was right. Still, this should be only considered a rumor until the title gets an official announcement from the studio [Warner], Warner Archive, or via Zack Snyder. The remastered version of this film will include the 183-minute “Ultimate Edition” with some color corrections and most importantly the correct 1.43:1 IMAX aspect ratio on those scenes and the shifts to and from the 2.35:1 aspect ratio.
That said, it should come with the very same HDR10 and Dolby Atmos found on the previous 4K UHD Blu-ray release of the film, but nothing as of now has been officially confirmed. You can find the newly restored version of “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition” on 4K UHD Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon as well as at retailers Deep Discount and Target, and Walmart. The release will come with just a 4K UHD Blu-ray Disc and a digital code (copy) of the film included. There’s no word if bonus materials will be included with this release of the film or not. Considering that it doesn’t appear to include the Blu-ray, it would mean they would have to all be housed on the 4K disc. So, stay tuned regarding that when this hopefully gets a full official announcement and/or confirmation soon.
UPDATE #1: Well, I think we can consider it official now, folks, just lacking a press release, as the 4K UHD Blu-ray is now listed over on WBShop.com (as Warner Archive) as shown below.
UPDATE #2: It’s official. The “Batman v Superman” official Twitter account just shared a video and announced the release date that we all had been seeing and I was telling you from the start. This video is very much work checking out as it will show you how the aspect ratio shift from 2.35:1 to real IMAX 1.43:1 will work. This also confirms some color correction as well. See the tweet here (or embedded below).
EDITORIAL NOTE: This will mark the very FIRST 4K UHD Blu-ray release from Warner Archive if this turns out to be true. It’s pretty obvious that it is, so let’s now consider that Warner’s line of home video releases will include 4K titles in the future via the Warner Archives. I’ll be the first to say welcome to the 4K physical release scene, Warner Archive. And, until further information about this release comes along: “That’s All, Folks!!”
The 2018 DC Universe Movie “Reign of the Supermen” is coming to both the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc formats on January 29th, 2019 via Warner. The film features the voices of Jerry O’Connell (Superman / Clark Kent), Rebecca Romijn (Lois Lane), Rainn Wilson (Lex Luthor), Nathan Fillion (Green Lantern / Hal Jordan), Jason O’Mara (Batman / Bruce Wayne), Rosario Dawson (Wonder Woman), Shemar Moore (Cyborg), Christopher Gorham (The Flash), Nyambi Nyambi (Martian Manhunter), Cameron Monaghan (Superboy), Patrick Fabian (Hank Henshaw), and Tony Todd (Darkseid).
Tech specs for the 4K UHD Blu-ray release include 2160p video in both Dolby Vision and HDR10 forms of High Dynamic Range and Dolby Atmos sound. Tech specs for the Blu-ray release include 1080p video and 5.1 lossless sound – likey DTS-HD MA.
UPDATE: This is now available for PRE-ORDER on 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray over at Amazon, but the 4K version is not yet listed. Stay tuned, and this will be updated once it becomes available.
The bonus materials set to be included on the release are listed below.
- Lex Luthor: The Greatest Nemesis (Featurette) – Evil Genius. Archenemy of Superman. Misunderstood hero? This documentary will look at one of the most renowned villains in literature and debate his ethics and motivations throughout his publication history and as the calculated anti-hero of Reign of the Supermen. We’ll also explore how Lex Luthor is emblematic of technology without limit, often demonstrating what effect unbridled power, resources, and influence can have on humanity. We’ll discuss the affinity for storytellers to associate Lex Luthor and with the field of science as they challenge our morals and integrity with real world issues such as cloning and what can happen if science fiction became science reality.
- A Sneak Peek at the next DC Universe Movie, Justice League vs. The Fatal Five – An entertaining, insightful exciting look at the next animated film in the popular DC Universe Movies collection.
- From the DC Vault: Superman: The Animated Series, “Heavy Metal”
- From the DC Vault: Justice League Unlimited, “Panic in the Sky”
Further below, after the break, you can find the trailer for this DC Universe Movie, the Blu-ray cover art, and the official announcement about the upcoming releases.