1982 film E.T. gets 40th Anniversary 4K and Blu-ray
Amazon Commissions Earned
The 1982 film “E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial“ will officially celebrate its 40th Anniversary on 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc with a re-release on October 18th via Universal Studios Home Entertainment. The film, directed by Steven Spielberg, starred Henry Thomas, Dee Wallace, Drew Barrymore, Peter Coyote, Robert MacNaughton, and C. Thomas Howell.
Tech specs for the 4K UHD Blu-ray include a 2160p video presentation in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of high dynamic range and DTS:X immersive sound. The tech specs for the new Blu-ray include a 1080p HD video presentation in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio and DTS:X sound. Both releases will come in the form of a “combo pack” with the 4K getting its Blu-ray counterpart, the Blu-ray getting its DVD counterpart, and each including a digital code (copy) of the film.
UPDATE: You can now find the 40th Anniversary Edition standard 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon.
It’s most certainly worth noting that there will be three retailer exclusives on 4K UHD Blu-ray for the 40th Anniversary, which you can find listed in this news story (and pictured below).
The bonus materials, including an all-new retrospective and a new TCM Festival interview with Spielberg, set to be included on this new 40th Anniversary Edition 4K UHD Blu-ray are first detailed and then listed below.
“The anniversary release showcases over 45 minutes of all-new bonus features including a retrospective of the film and its lasting legacy and a featurette with Steven Spielberg reflecting on his career and the making of E.T. 40 years later. “
- NEW 40 YEARS OF E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL – An all-new retrospective of the film and its lasting legacy.
- NEW TCM CLASSIC FILM FESTIVAL: AN EVENING WITH STEVEN SPIELBERG – The acclaimed director reflects on his career and the making of E.T. 40 years later.
- THE E.T. JOURNALS- Retrace the day-to-day experience of creating E.T. from never-before-seen, behind-the-scenes footage shot by Academy Award®-winning cinematographer John Toll.
- DELETED SCENES
- STEVEN SPIELBERG & E.T. – Watch an interview with Steven Spielberg, as he reflects back on the film and discusses his experience working with the actors, as well as his overall and current perspective on E.T.
- A LOOK BACK – A special insider’s look into the making of E.T. featuring interviews with Steven Spielberg, the cast, and others intimately involved with the film.
- THE EVOLUTION AND CREATION OF E.T.
- THE E.T. REUNION – The cast and filmmaker reunite to discuss their thoughts on the impact of the film.
- THE MUSIC OF E.T.: A DISCUSSION WITH JOHN WILLIAMS – Interviews and footage focused on the long-standing relationship between John Williams and Steven Spielberg.
- THE 20TH ANNIVERSARY PREMIERE – Composer John Williams played the score of E.T. live at the Shrine Auditorium for the re-release premiere of E.T. This featurette gives us a behind the scenes look at this presentation.
- DESIGNS, PHOTOGRAPHS, AND MARKETING
- E.T. Designs by Production Illustrator Ed Verreaux
- E.T. Designs by Carlo Rambaldi
- Spaceship Designs by Ralph Mcquarrie
- Designs by Production Illustrator Ed Verreaux
- Production Photographs
- Marketing E.T.
- THEATRICAL TRAILER
- SPECIAL OLYMPICS TV SPOT
Further below, after the break, you can find the full official announcement about the upcoming 40th-anniversary releases of this film.