Amazon Commissions Earned
The 2011 animated DC Universe Movie “Batman: Year One“ will be getting a “Commemorative Edition” released to the 4K UHD Blu-ray format on November 9th via Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. The film, co-directed by Sam Liu and Lauren Montgomery, featured the voice talents of Ben McKenzie, Bryan Cranston, Eliza Dushku, Jeff Bennett, Jon Polito, Alex Rocco, Katee Sackhoff, Grey Griffin, Robin Atkin Downes, and Stephen Root.
The tech specs for the release include a 2160p video presentation in the 1.78:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of high dynamic range and the same lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 sound mix that was found on the previously released  Blu-ray. This set will come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning that it will include its Blu-ray Disc counterpart as well as a digital code (copy) of the film — compatible with Movies Anywhere.
UPDATE: The 4K UHD Blu-ray is now available to preorder over at Amazon.
The bonus materials set to be included with this release are listed below.
- NEW Featurette – Reinventing Gordon – An examination of the history of James Gordon through comics, animation, and feature films.
- Featurette – Conversations with DC Comics – The Batman creative team at DC discusses the personal influence of Batman: Year One on their careers. Batman producer Michael Uslan leads the chat amongst well-known writers, editors, and artists of Batman lore, focusing on the darker, realistic interpretation of Batman’s origins by Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli.
- Audio Commentary – Featuring co-producer Alan Burnett, co-director Sam Liu, DC creative director Mike Carlin and casting/dialogue director Andrea Romano.
- Featurette – Heart of Vengeance: Returning Batman to His Roots – “The Dark Knight Returns” provided the denouement of Batman’s life. Frank Miller’s next seminal work would provide his near-mythic origin in “Batman: Year One.” This documentary spotlights the contemporary genius of Miller and the audience that was poised to appreciate the depths of his work.
- DC Showcase – Catwoman (2011 Animated Short) – The felonious feline’s adventure takes her through the seedy streets of Gotham City. Eliza Dushku reprises her Batman: Year One role as the voice of Catwoman. The short is directed by Lauren Montgomery (Batman: Year One) from a script by Paul Dini (Batman: The Animated Series).
- DC Universe Movies Flashbacks
- Batman: Soul of the Dragon
- Batman: The Long Halloween, Part One
- Batman: The Long Halloween, Part Two
Further below, after the break, you can find the full official announcement regarding this upcoming Commemorative Edition 4K physical release of the film.
– Amazon Commissions Earned –
The DC Universe Movie “Batman Soul of the Dragon” is officially coming to both 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on January 26th, 2021, via Warner Brothers Home Entertainment. The animated film, R-Rated, directed by Sam Liu and produced by Bruce Timm, features the voice talents of David Giuntoli (Batman/Bruce Wayne), Mark Dacascos (Richard Dragon), Kelly Hu (Lady Shiva), Michael Jai White (Ben Turner/Bronze Tiger), James Hong (O-Sensei), and Josh Keaton (Jeffrey Burr). The tech specs for the 4K UHD Blu-ray release include a 2160p 4K presentation in the 1.78:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of high dynamic range and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound. The tech specs for the Blu-ray include a 1080p HD presentation in the 1.78:1 aspect ratio with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound. Each release will come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning that the 4K will include the Blu-ray Disc counterpart, the Blu-ray will include its DVD counterpart, and each will come with a digital code (copy) of the film. UPDATE: You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray and the Blu-ray Disc both listed to preorder over at Amazon. Retailer Best Buy will be getting an exclusive 4K UHD Blu-ray Gift Set featuring a figurine (pictured below) which is now also available to preorder over on their site.
The bonus materials set to be included with each of these releases are listed below.
- Batman – Raw Groove (New Featurette)– From the explosion of gritty cinema and kung fu to the cultural changes spreading across the U.S., we explore the early ’70s and how they inspired Batman: Soul of the Dragon.
- Producer Jim Krieg’s Far Out Highlights (New Featurette)– It’s an off-the-hook and out-of-sight supercut of one of Producer Jim Krieg’s funniest in-character appearances.
- Peek at the next DC Universe Movie – An advance look at the next animated film in the popular DC Universe Movies collection, Justice Society: World War II.
- Look Back: Superman: Red Son (Featurette) – Kal-El’s rocket fleeing Krypton never reaches Smallville, but instead lands in the Soviet Union, single-handedly shifting the new world order. This is the epic re-imagining of Superman’s origin story.
- Look Back: Batman: Gotham By Gaslight (Featurette) – Set against the backdrop of turn of the century Gotham, Batman is involved in a hunt for a criminal who has committed the most heinous acts of murder. This is Batman versus Jack the Ripper!
- From the DC Vault: Batman: The Animated Series, “Day of the Samurai”
- From the DC Vault: Batman: The Animated Series, “Night of the Ninja”
Further below, after the break, you can find the trailer for the film (released today) and find the full announcement regarding the upcoming home video releases of the film.
– ad – commissions earned –
The 2019 DC Universe Movie “Wonder Woman: Bloodlines” is coming to both 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on October 22nd via Warner. The film, directed by Justin Copeland and Sam Liu, features the voice talents of Rosario Dawson (as “Wonder Woman”), Marie Avgeropoulos, Jeffrey Donovan, Adrienne C. Moore, Kimberly Brooks, Courtenay Taylor, Constance Zimmer, and Michael Dorn. Tech specs for the 4K and Blu-ray releases have not yet been fully detailed. You can, however, visually expect the 4K to come with HDR10 form of HDR (high dynamic range) and 1080p HD video on Blu-ray. Both should be in the 1.78:1 aspect ratio and receive lossless surround sound mixes. Stay tuned for an update on the exact tech specs for the releases. One can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray are now available for pre-order over at Amazon. It’s certainly worth noting that you can watch the trailer for the film HERE (on YouTube). Bonus materials set to be included on the releases are listed below.
- DC Showcase: Death (Animated Short) – Inspired by Neil Gaiman’s “The Sandman,” Death is produced & directed by Sam Liu (Justice League vs. The Fatal Five) and written by J.M. DeMatteis (Batman: Bad Blood). In the story, Vincent, an artist with unresolved inner demons, meets a mysterious girl who helps him come to terms with his creative legacy … and eventual death. Leonard Nam (Westworld) provides the voice of Vincent, and Jamie Chung (The Gifted, Big Hero 6) is the voice of Death. The voice cast includes Darin De Paul, Keith Szarabajka and Kari Wahlgren.
- The Cheetah: Ferocious Archenemy (New Featurette) – Ferocious. Clever. Deadly. It’s the thrill of the hunt and the prey is Wonder Woman. This is the story of The Cheetah, Diana’s greatest enemy.
- A Sneak Peek at the next DC Universe Movie, Superman: Red Son – An advanced look at the next animated film in the popular DC Universe Movies collection.
Further below, after the break, you can find the full announcement regarding these upcoming releases.
The 2016 DC Universe original animated film “Batman: The Killing Joke” is coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on September 11th via Warner, according to an early alert to retailers. The tech specs and bonus materials have not yet been detailed. The bonus materials should be pretty much identical to the previous (2016) Blu-ray release. However, stay tuned for any updates regarding this release. The 4K will come in the form of a “combo pack” with a Blu-ray Disc and Digital Copy of the film included. This now available for PRE-ORDER over at Amazon.