Lost Highway gets Criterion 4K and Blu-ray in October
Amazon Commissions Earned
The 1997 film “Lost Highway” is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray on October 11th via The Criterion Collection. The film, directed and co-written by David Lynch, starred Bill Pullman, Patricia Arquette, Balthazar Getty, Robert Blake, Gary Busey, Richard Pryor, and Robert Loggia.
This movie has received a new 4K restoration, supervised by director David Lynch. Below are some details about that from Janus Films‘ website:
“Lost Highway is presented in its original aspect ratio of 2.39:1. Supervised by director David Lynch, this new digital transfer was created in 4K resolution on a Scanity film scanner from the 35 mm original camera negative. The near-field remaster of the original 5.1 soundtrack was made from the 35 mm magnetic track and mix supervised by Lynch and rerecording mixer Ronald Eng.”
Tech specs for the release include a 2160p video presentation in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of high dynamic range and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround and 2.0 Stereo lossless sound mixes. The 4K release will come in the form of a 2-disc “combo pack” with the Blu-ray counterpart included in that set.
UPDATE: You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray and the Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon. Also, you can find the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray directly available for preorder over at the Criterion website. The bonus materials set to be included with the releases are listed below.
DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
- New 4K digital restoration, supervised and approved by director David Lynch, with new 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
- Alternate uncompressed stereo soundtrack
- For the 4K UHD edition: One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
- Pretty as a Picture: The Art of David Lynch, a feature-length 1997 documentary by Toby Keeler featuring Lynch and his collaborators Angelo Badalamenti, Peter Deming, Barry Gifford, Mary Sweeney, and others, along with on-set footage from Lost Highway
- Reading by Lynch and critic Kristine McKenna of excerpts from their 2018 book, Room to Dream
- Archival interviews with Lynch and actors Patricia Arquette, Bill Pullman, and Robert Loggia
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- PLUS: Excerpts from an interview with Lynch from filmmaker and writer Chris Rodley’s book Lynch on Lynch
- New cover by Fred Davis