Tag Archives: Pat Morita
Amazon Commissions Earned
“The Karate Kid Collection“ is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on December 7th via Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. The set includes the three films “The Karate Kid” (1984), “The Karate Kid Part II” (1986), and “The Karate Kid Part III” (1989). This release will mark the very first time that the two sequels have been available on the 4K UHD Blu-ray format. All three films have been remastered in 4K from the original camera negatives. All of the films were directed by John G. Avildsen and the cast for the films included Ralph Macchio, Noriyuki “Pat” Morita, and Martin Kove.
The tech specs for the 4K releases include a 2160p video presentation in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of high dynamic range, as well as Dolby Atmos, a lossless 5.1 surround mix, and the original 2.0 Stereo theatrical sound mix, for each of the three films. Each release will come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning that it will include the Blu-ray Disc counterparts.
The bonus materials set to be included for each film in this set include some new extras. Since that list can run a tad bit lengthy, I’ve chosen to include those in the press release listed further below after the break.
1998 Disney animated film “Mulan” is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on November 10th via Disney. Yes, that’s next week and comes with very little notice but that’s how Disney works. The film, directed by Tony Bancroft & Barry Cook, featured the voice talents of Ming-Na Wen, Eddie Murphy, BD Wong, Miguel Ferrer, Harvey Fierstein, James Hong, Pat Morita, George Takei, Freda Foh Shen, and Donny Osmond. The tech specs for the release include a 4K presentation in the 1.66:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of high dynamic range and Dolby Atmos sound. The 4K release will come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning that it will come with the Blu-ray Disc counterpart(s) as well as a digital code (copy) of the film. You cannot find the 4K UHD Blu-ray yet available for preorder over at Amazon, and you likely won’t anytime soon, but stay tuned for an update on that. In the meantime, realistically, you can find the 4K UHD Blu-ray available for preorder over at retailers Best Buy and Target. The bonus materials set to be included on the release, the extras from the previous Blu-ray, are listed below.
- Deleted Scenes:
- “Keep ‘Em Guessing”
- The Prologue Chronicle
- Shadow Puppets Prologue
- The Betrothal
- Shan-Yu Destroys the Village
- Mulan’s Daydream
- The Emperor’s Dream
- Classic Music and Featurettes:
- “I’ll Make a Man Out of You” Music Video Performed in Mandarin by Jackie Chan
- “Reflection” Music Video Performed by Christina Aguilera
- “Reflejo” Music Video Performed in Spanish by Lucero
- “True to Your Heart” Music Video Performed by Raven
- “True to Your Heart” Music Video Performed by Stevie Wonder & 98°
- Songs of “Mulan” – Producer Pam Coats, composer Matthew Wilder and lyricist David Zippel share the process of creating the music for “Mulan.” They discuss how they decided where to place songs in the film, what emotions the songs should evoke and how they should be used to advance the story. Also featured is a behind-the-scenes look at a recording session of “Reflection.”
- “Mulan”‘s International Journey – Disney filmmakers explain the process by which Disney animated films are translated into as many as 35 different languages. This includes using the best translators, finding the appropriate voice talent in each country and taking painstaking measures to ensure that the creative integrity of the film is preserved.
- Multilanguage Presentation – “Mulan” was translated into many languages for audiences around the world. Hear some of these languages in the musical sequence “I’ll Make a Man Out of You,” including French, Italian, Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese, Swedish and more.
- Classic Backstage Disney Featurettes
- Audio commentary by producer Pam Coats and directors Tony Bancroft and Barry Cook
The 1984 modern classic “The Karate Kid“ is getting a 4K UHD Blu-ray release on April 16th to celebrate the 35th anniversary, via Sony. The film, directed by John G. Avildsen, starred Ralph Macchio, Pat Morita, William Zabka, Martin Kove, and Elisabeth Shue. Tech specs for the release include newly 4K restored video with some sort of HDR (high dynamic range) although not yet specified and Dolby Atmos sound. It is said that the original 5.1 and Stereo will be available in terms of audio. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with a Blu-ray Disc and a Digital Copy of the film included.
Bonus materials set to be included on this upcoming release are listed below.
- NEW “Remembering The Karate Kid” – featuring new interviews with Ralph Macchio, William Zabka and Martin Kove (on the 4K disc)
- “Blu-Pop™” Pop-Up Track – Activate the Blu-Pop feature to reveal pop-up trivia, interviews and more secrets from the film!
- Commentary with Director John G. Avildsen, Writer Robert Mark Kamen and Actors Ralph Macchio and Pat Morita
- “The Way of the Karate Kid” Multi-Part Making-of Featurette
- “Beyond the Form” Featurette
- “East Meets West: A Composer’s Notebook”
- “Life of Bonsai” Featurette
- Theatrical Trailer (on the 4K disc)