The 2014 Laika Studios stop-motion animated film “The Boxtrolls” is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray in standard and 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook limited edition forms on February 28th via Shout! Factory. The film, co-directed by Graham Annable and Anthony Stacchi, featured the voice talents of Isaac Hempstead Wright, Ben Kingsley, Richard Ayoade, Nick Frost, Tracy Morgan, Jared Harris, and Toni Collette.
The movie has received a new 4K restoration. Tech specs will include a 2160p video presentation in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of high dynamic range and a new Dolby Atmos sound mix. The 4K releases of the film in standard and SteelBook form will both come as a “combo pack” with the Blu-ray Disc counterpart included. The bonus materials set to be included with the releases are listed below.
- “Inside LAIKA” – Discovering The Characters Of The Boxtrolls Featuring Rare Test Footage
- “Inside LAIKA” – Revisiting The Puppets With LAIKA’s Animation Team
- Feature-Length Storyboards
- Character Art and Concept Art Photo Gallery
- Foreword By Ramin Zahed, The Editor In Chief Of Animation Magazine
- Audio Commentary With Directors Graham Annable And Anthony Stacchi
- “Dare To Be Square” – The Making Of The Boxtrolls
- Original Featurettes
- Art & Essay Mini-Book
UPDATE: You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray and 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook both available for preorder over at retailer Amazon. The limited edition 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook is available for preorder over at retailer Walmart as well as directly via Shout! Factory’s online store. Stay tuned for a preorder for the standard 4K release at respectable retailers soon.
Amazon Commissions Earned
The HBO original series “The Nevers: Season 1 Part 1“ is officially coming to Blu-ray Disc on October 5th via Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. The show, created by Joss Whedon, stars Laura Donnelly, Ann Skelly, Olivia Williams, James Norton, Tom Riley, Rochelle Neil, Eleanor Tomlinson, Amy Manson, Pip Torrens, Denis O’Hare, Zackary Momoh, Elizabeth Berrington, Kiran Sonia Sawar, Anna Devlin, Viola Prettejohn, Ella Smith, Nick Frost, and Ben Chaplin. The tech specs for the Blu-ray include a 1080p HD video presentation in the 1.78:1 aspect ratio with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 lossless surround sound, spanning across a 2-disc set. The release will come with a digital code (copy) of the first season, part one. You can find the Blu-ray now available for preorder over at Amazon. The bonus materials set to be included with this release are listed below.
- A Touch of Power: The Themes Behind The Nevers (Blu-ray/DVD only)
- Accustomed to the Impossible: The Making of The Nevers (Blu-ray/DVD only)
- Introducing The Nevers ( Featurette )
- A New Age of Power ( Featurette )
- Character Portrait:Amalia True ( Featurette )
- Character Portrait:Penance Adair ( Featurette )
- Character Portrait:Mary Brighton ( Featurette )
- Character Portrait: Annie Bonfire ( Featurette )
- Creating The Nevers: A Night at the Opera ( Featurette )
- Creating The Nevers: A Charitable Event ( Featurette )
- Creating The Nevers: Walking on Water ( Featurette )
- Character Portrait: Detective Frank Mundi ( Featurette )
- Character Portrait: Augie Bidlow & Hugo Swann ( Featurette )
- Villains of The Nevers ( Featurette )
- Creating The Nevers: Confrontation and Translation ( Featurette )
- Creating The Nevers: Shock and Awe ( Featurette )
- Creating The Nevers: Telling Time ( Featurette )
- The Craft: Editor, Lisa Lassek ( Featurette )
- The Craft: VFX Supervisor, Johnny Han ( Featurette )
- The Craft: Director, Zetna Fuentes ( Featurette )
Further below, after the break, you can find the full announcement regarding the home video release of the first season, part one of this TV series.
The 2004 Edgar Wright directed film “Shaun of the Dead“ starring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost is getting an individual 4K UHD Blu-ray release on November 5th via Universal, according to an early retailer alert. The film (as previously reported) is slated for a 4K release later this month as part of “The Cornetto Trilogy“ box set. However, those who don’t want the two other films will be able to pick this film up later this year. The film co-starred Kate Ashfield, Lucy Davis, Dylan Moran, Nicola Cunningham, Peter Serafinowicz, and Bill Nighy. Tech specs for the 4K release include 2160p video in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 and HDR10+ forms of High Dynamic Range and DTS:X sound. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with a Blu-ray and digital code (copy) of the film include. The 4K UHD Blu-ray is now listed as coming soon over at retailer Best Buy. Stay tuned for an update on that and as for when it becomes available over at Amazon, as a functional pre-order. The bonus materials will be identical on this release as found on the previous Blu-ray release.
Lastly, it’s worth noting to Edgar Wright fans that perhaps just want to own the two other films that make this trilogy individually that they’ll also be getting released. You can find 4K UHD Blu-ray individual releases of “Hot Fuzz“ (2007) and “The World’s End“ (2013) both also listed as coming soon now over at retailer Best Buy.
Director Edgar Wright‘s “The Cornetto Trilogy“ is coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray in a box set on September 10th via Universal. The Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy includes the films “Shaun of the Dead” (2004), “Hot Fuzz” (2007), and “The World’s End” (2013). This info came yesterday across all three of the films’ social media accounts (maintained by the studio) on Facebook. There were no further details about the release aside from the date and cover art (pictured above). UPDATE: The 4K UHD Blu-ray set is now available for pre-order over at Amazon. Tech specs for the films on 4K include HDR10 and HDR10+ forms of High Dynamic Range with DTS:X sound.
It should, of course, be stated that all three of these films star Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. Lastly, we can tell from the artwork that the release will come as a “combo pack” with the original Blu-ray Disc releases also included.
The 2019 film “Fighting with My Family“ is officially coming to Blu-ray Disc on May 14th, via Universal. The movie, written and directed by Stephen Merchant, has a cast featuring Florence Pugh, Lena Headey, Nick Frost, Jack Lowden, Vince Vaughn, and Dwayne Johnson. The film has received much critical acclaim during its theatrical run and is “Certified Fresh” over at Rotten Tomatoes. Tech specs for the Blu-ray include 1080p video in the 2.40:1 aspect ratio and DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with a DVD and a digital copy of the film included. Both the PG-13 Theatrical Cut and a “Director’s Cut” of the film (NOT RATED) are included on the same (Blu-ray) Disc. The Blu-ray is available for pre-order now over at Amazon. Bonus materials set to be included on the release are listed below.
- Deleted & Extended Scenes
- Gag Reel
- A Family’s Passion: A Making Of
- Learning the Moves
- Feature Commentary with Writer/Director Stephen Merchant (on both versions)