Tag Archives: Joe Spinell
The 1982 William Lustig directed film “Vigilante“ is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on December 15th via Blue Underground. The film starred Robert Forster, Fred Williamson, Richard Bright, Rutanya Alda, Woody Strode, Joe Spinell, and Willie Colón. The film has received a new 4K restoration, specifically a “4K 16-bit from the original 35mm camera negative” according to the press release. Tech specs for the release include a 2160p presentation in 2.40:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of high dynamic range as well as Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, and 2.0 sound mixes. The limited edition release will come with its Blu-ray counterpart. There’s no preorder listing yet for this 4K UHD Blu-ray over at Amazon but stay tuned for an update. The bonus materials set to be included on the release are listed below.
- Audio Commentary #1 with Co-Producer/Director William Lustig and Co-Producer Andrew Garroni
- Audio Commentary #2 with Co-Producer/Director William Lustig and Stars Robert Forster, Fred Williamson and Frank Pesce
- NEW! Audio Commentary #3 with Film Historians Troy Howarth and Nathaniel Thompson
- NEW! Blue Collar DEATH WISH – Interviews with Writer Richard Vetere, Star Rutanya Alda, Associate Producer/First A.D./Actor Randy Jurgensen, and others
- NEW! Urban Western – Interview with Composer Jay Chattaway
- Theatrical Trailers
- TV Spots
- Radio Spot
- Promotional Reel
- Poster & Still Galleries
- BONUS! Collectible Booklet with new essay by Michael Gingold
Further below, after the break, you can find the full announcement regarding the upcoming 4K release of this film.
The 1980 film “Maniac“ is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on May 26th, via distributor Blue Underground. The film, directed by William Lustig, starred Joe Spinell, Caroline Munro, Abigail Clayton, Kelly Piper, Rita Montone, James L. Brewster, and Tom Savini. Back in 2018, the movie received a 4K restoration presented via a Limited Edition Blu-ray release and now that restoration is coming physically to the 4K UHD Blu-ray format. Tech specs for the release include video in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of High Dynamic Range as well as Dolby Atmos and DTS-HD Master Audio in 5.1 and 2.0 Stereo configurations. The release will come with a Blu-ray Disc that contains further special features, but not the film. There’s currently no preorder listing for this available over at Amazon yet, but stay tuned for an update. However, the 4K UHD Blu-ray is now listed for preorder over at the online retailer Diabolik DVD. The list of details about the release and bonus materials set to be included run a bit lengthy, so you can find those listed further below after the break.
The previously reported upcoming 4K restoration of “Maniac“ on Blu-ray Disc originally slated for next month, has now been delayed until December 11th for quality purposes. Essentially, the folks at Blue Underground made a very wise decision to put all of the bonus materials on a second Blu-ray Disc (instead of a DVD) to give the movie its very own disc. Doing this will give that new 4K restoration from the original film negatives a higher bitrate and make it look much better than it would sharing a Blu-ray with bonus materials. Below you can find the statement Blue Underground made to press earlier.
We have some good news and bad news regarding our upcoming MANIAC Limited Edition Blu-ray. Bad news first: We’re delaying the release until December 11th. This is to accommodate the good news: We’ve decided to make the second disc a Blu-ray instead of a DVD. Suggest Retail Price remains unchanged, so now you’re getting more bang for your buck!
We’re moving the majority of Extras over to Disc 2, allowing more space to accommodate the Feature at a much higher bit rate. Our goal is to give MANIAC the best presentation possible on Blu-ray. We can’t wait for you to see the stunning new 4K Restoration from the recently discovered long-lost 16mm original camera negative!!
The Blu-ray re-release is available for PRE-ORDER over at Amazon, just realize they’re very slow at changing things like release dates. The bonus materials have not changed, they’ve just changed their layout and it can be found further below, after the break.
The 1980 William Lustig directed film “Maniac“ starring Joe Spinell has received a new 4K restoration and will be getting re-released in a 3-Disc Limited Edition to Blu-ray Disc on December 11th via Blue Underground. Tech specs for the release include full 1080p HD video in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio from a brand new 4K restoration with DTS-HD Master Audio in both 7.1 and 2.0 configurations as well as Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo. The 3-Disc set includes a Blu-ray, DVD, and a CD (compact disc) including the film’s Soundtrack. This new Blu-ray of “Maniac” is available for PRE-ORDER now over at Amazon. Bonus materials set to be included on the release are listed below.
Disc 1 (Blu-ray) Feature Film + Extras:
- Audio Commentary #1 with Producer/Director William Lustig and Producer Andrew W. Garroni
- Audio Commentary #2 with Producer/Director William Lustig, Special Make-Up Effects Artist Tom Savini, Editor Lorenzo Marinelli, and Joe Spinell’s Assistant Luke Walter
- NEW! MANIAC Outtakes
- NEW! Returning to the Scene of the Crime with William Lustig
- Anna and the Killer – Interview with Star Caroline Munro
- The Death Dealer – Interview with Special Make-Up Effects Artist Tom Savini
- Dark Notes – Interview with Composer Jay Chattaway
- Maniac Men – Interview with Songwriters Michael Sembello and Dennis Matkosky
- Theatrical Trailers
- TV Spots
- Radio Spots
- Robbie: Maniac 2 Promo Reel
Disc 2 (DVD) Extras:
- The Joe Spinell Story
- MANIAC Publicity
- MANIAC Controversy
BONUS! MANIAC Original Motion Picture Soundtrack CD by Jay Chattaway
BONUS! Collectable Booklet with new essay by Michael Gingold