Tag Archives: Jodi Benson
The 1989 animated film “The Little Mermaid” is coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray and getting a new Blu-ray Disc release on February 26th, via Disney. The film, directed by Ron Clements and John Musker, won a total of 2 Oscars (Academy Awards) for best music original song and best music original score. It’s also celebrating its 30th anniversary this year.
The 4K UHD Blu-ray tech specs come with 2160p video presented in the 1.78:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range and Dolby Atmos sound. The Blu-ray re-release will come with 1080p video presented in the 1.78:1 aspect and DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound. Both releases will come in the form of a “combo pack” with the 4K getting a Blu-ray included, the Blu-ray getting a DVD included, and both featuring a Digital Copy of the film. The 4K is not yet available to pre-order over at Amazon yet, but the Blu-ray Disc is – perhaps mislabeled (judging from price). Stay tuned for an update on that. You can however find the 4K UHD Blu-ray available to pre-order over at Best Buy.
It is also known that retailer Best Buy will be getting an Exclusive Steelbook 4K release, which you can already pre-order. Bonus materials set to be included on the 4K and new Blu-ray release are listed below.
ALL-NEW BONUS FEATURES:
- Sing-Along Mode – Sing along to the movie in this sing-along version of the film.
- Alan Menken & the Leading Ladies Song – From the voice of a mermaid to the tunes of a muse, the music of Alan Menken has scored the soundtrack for some of Disney’s most iconic leading ladies. Join Alan, Jodi Benson (Ariel), Paige O’Hara (Belle), Judy Kuhn (Pocahontas Singing Voice), Lillias White (Calliope) and Donna Murphy (Mother Gothel) as we celebrate the music of their films in honor of the one that started it all … “The Little Mermaid.” In this discussion, the ladies will share their memories of musically creating their characters with Alan, discuss what it means to be part of the Disney Princess/leading lady legacy and create new memories as they sing with Alan around a baby grand piano.
- “What I Want From You…Is YOUR VOICE” – Enter the recording studio and get an inside look at the cast of “The Little Mermaid” in their original recording sessions.
- Stories From Walt’s Office – Gadgets & Gizmos – Like Ariel, Walt Disney was a collector of many different things from miniatures to early mechanical characters that inspired the invention of audio-animatronics. We take a look at some the collections that Walt kept in his office in the third episode of this series.
- #TreasuresUntold – Join Ruby Rose Turner and Olivia Sanabia from the Disney Channel Original Series “Coop and Cami Ask the World” as they take a deep dive to explore some hidden treasures and fun facts about Disney’s “The Little Mermaid.”
- DCapella “Part of Your World” Music Video
- Classic Bonus Features – revisit four exciting bonus features from previous releases including:
- Deleted Character: Harold The Merman
- Under The Scene: The Art Of Live Action Reference
- Howard’s Lecture
- Audio Commentary With Ron Clements, John Musker and Alan Menken
- “Part of Your World” – A 30-Year Retrospective – Songwriter Alan Menken and Jodi Benson, the acting and singing voice of Ariel, sing the epitome of Disney “I Want” songs “Part of Your World” and discuss its impact since it was first heard 30 years ago.
- Classic Bonus Features – Over 3 additional hours of previously released classic bonus features including Deleted Scenes, Easter Eggs, Music Videos and more!
Further below, after the break, you can find the official announcement regarding these releases.