Amazon Commissions Earned
The 2022 sequel “Top Gun: Maverick” is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on November 1st via Paramount Home Entertainment. The film, directed by Joseph Kosinski, stars Tom Cruise, Val Kilmer, Miles Teller, Jennifer Connelly, Bashir Salahuddin, Charles Parnell, Monica Barbaro, Lewis Pullman, Jay Ellis, and Jon Hamm. It’s currently “Certified Fresh” over at Rotten Tomatoes and has set records at the box office. The film will be remaining in theaters for a short bit before its digital and then physical releases.
The tech specs for the 4K UHD Blu-ray include a 2160p video presentation in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio (shifting to 1.78:1 aspect ratio for IMAX scenes) with HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of high dynamic range and Dolby Atmos sound. Tech specs for the Blu-ray include a 1080p HD video presentation in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio (shifting to 1.78:1 aspect ratio for IMAX scenes) and Dolby Atmos sound. Both releases each include a digital code (copy) of the film. However, the 4K version will not include its Blu-ray counterpart. Keep that in mind. That’s how Paramount likes to do things.
You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon and other retailers. Also, there will be a 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook available (pictured below) which is now available for preorder over at Amazon and all other retailers. It’s not exclusive after all. It’s also worth noting that there will be a “Top Gun 2 Movie Collection“ available on 4K UHD Blu-ray, which you can now find available for preorder over at Amazon.
Bonus materials set to be included with the releases are listed below.
- Cleared For Take Off—Witness the most intense film training program as the cast prepare themselves for filming while pulling multiple G’s in a fighter plane.
- Breaking New Ground – Filming Top Gun: Maverick—Prepare to take flight as you go behind-the-scenes with the cast and crew of Top Gun: Maverick on a journey to capture the most spectacular aerial sequences ever!
- A Love Letter To Aviation—Tom Cruise shares his passion for aviation as he pilots his own aircraft, a vintage World War II P-51 Mustang, which would have been the Top Gun aircraft of its day.
- Forging The Darkstar—Pushing the limits beyond Mach-10, the future of aviation is unveiled through an impressive experimental aircraft specially designed for the movie.
- Masterclass with Tom Cruise – Cannes Film Festival—Tom Cruise discusses his incredible career at the flagship event of the 75th Cannes Film Festival.
- “Hold My Hand” – Lady Gaga Music Video—Watch Lady Gaga’s music video for her standout lead single hit on the Top Gun: Maverick soundtrack.
- “I Ain’t Worried” – OneRepublic Music Video—Check out the music video to the original new song from OneRepublic.
- Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One Teaser Trailer – We all share the same fate. Watch the official teaser trailer for Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One starring Tom Cruise. Coming to theatres 2023.
You can find the trailer for the film and announcement about its upcoming home video releases below, after the break.
Amazon Commissions Earned
The 1985 Dario Argento film “Phenomena“ starring Jennifer Connelly is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on March 8th, 2022 via Synapse Films, in conjunction with Arrow Video. The film, co-written, produced, and directed by Dario Argento, co-starred Daria Nicolodi, Fiore Argento, Fiorenza Tessari, Dalila Di Lazzaro, Patrick Bauchau, and Donald Pleasence. MAJOR NOTE: This will be a limited edition set and only 6000 will be produced.
The movie has received a new 4K restoration for “all three versions of Phenomena, including the original Italian version (116 mins.), the International cut (100 mins.), and the U.S. “Creepers” cut (83 mins.).”
The tech specs for the release include a 2160p 4K video presentation in the 1.66:1 (matted) aspect ratio spanning across a 2-disc set. The first 4K UHD Blu-ray disc will contain the Italian version of the film, and the second 4K UHD Blu-ray disc will contain the International and “Creepers” versions. Now, the audio here for the 3 different versions of the film is going to have a lot of options, including multiple English and the Italian language mixes in lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and 2.0 Stereo configurations as well as PCM 1.0 Mono in a few instances. As it gets a bit complex, I’ve noted all of the audio mixes included for all 3 different versions below with the subtitles offered as well.
- Lossless Italian DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and PCM 2.0 stereo soundtracks, derived from the original 4-channel Dolby Stereo elements
- Lossless “hybrid” English/Italian DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack
- Lossless English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and PCM 2.0 stereo soundtracks on the international version, derived from the original 4-channel Dolby Stereo elements
- Lossless English PCM 1.0 mono soundtrack on Creepers, mastered from the original 3 track DME magnetic mix
- Rare alternate 2.0 stereo mix on the international version, featuring different sound effects and music cues
- Lossless English PCM soundtracks on Creepers, mastered from the original 3 track DME magnetic mix and presented in two variants: 1.0 mono and an alternate 2.0 mix with stereo music
- English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the hybrid soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon. And you can expect that price to drop some, as it’s the MSRP (list price). Remember, Amazon offers a preorder price guarantee. In fact, you can also find the 4K UHD Blu-ray available for preorder over at online retailer DiabolikDVD for a considerable bit cheaper. That said, I’d expect Amazon will drop to that price or be forced to match it.
The release will come only with the 4K UHD Blu-ray, and bonus materials will be included on it, which are listed further below along with physical extras (pictured first below).
- Limited edition slipcase packaging designed by artist Wes Benscoter
- Reversible sleeve artwork
- Collector’s booklet featuring liner notes from Mikel J. Koven, Rachael Nisbet and Leonard Jacobs
- Fold-out poster
- A set of lobby card reproduction artcards
- Audio commentary by Troy Howarth, author of Murder by Design: The Unsane Cinema of Dario Argento (on Italian Version)
- Of Flies and Maggots, a feature-length 2017 documentary produced by Arrow Films, including interviews with co-writer/producer/director Dario Argento, actors Fiore Argento, Davide Marotta, Daria Nicolodi and others…
- U.S. theatrical trailer and radio spots for ‘Creepers’
- Original Italian and international theatrical trailers
- “Jennifer” music video, directed by Dario Argento
- Japanese pressbook gallery
- Audio commentary on the international version by Argento scholar and author Derek Botelho and film historian, journalist and radio/television commentator David Del Valle
- The Three Sarcophagi, a visual essay by Arrow producer Michael Mackenzie comparing the different cuts of Phenomena
Amazon Commissions Earned
The 1986 film “Labyrinth” will officially be getting a “35th Anniversary Edition” 4K UHD Blu-ray release on August 17th via Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. The film, directed & co-written by Jim Henson and executive produced by George Lucas, featured a live-action cast that included David Bowie, Jennifer Connelly, Toby Froud, Shelley Thompson, and Christopher Malcolm and featured the voice talents of Shari Weiser, Brian Henson, and Dave Goelz.
This film has been available on the 4K UHD Blu-ray format since 2016, when it got another anniversary release, however, this new version on 4K will come with some new things. First off, the tech specs include a 2.39:1 aspect ratio 2160p video presentation from a 4K remaster with HDR10 and Dolby Vision (for the first time) as well as Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 theatrical, and DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Stereo sound.
The new 35th Anniversary 4K release will come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning that you’ll get the Blu-ray Disc counterpart and a digital code (copy) of the film included.
UPDATE: as of now, you can find the 35th Anniversary Edition 4K UHD Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon. Also, it can be found listed for preorder over at retailer Target. This new release will come with the physical extra of being a DigiBook (digital booklet) that is 28 pages in length. It also will feature some new never-before-released extras and screentests. The bonus materials set to be included with this 2-disc 35th Anniversary Edition 4K UHD Blu-ray are listed below, disc-by-disc, in terms of their contents.
4K ULTRA HD DISC
- The feature presented in 4K resolution, with Dolby Vision
- Dolby Atmos audio + 5.1 audio + original theatrical 2-Channel Surround audio
- Special Features:
- NEW: Deleted & Alternate Scene Oubliette
- Over 25 minutes of never-before-seen lost and alternate scenes, with all-new commentary from Brian Henson!
- NEW: Sarah’s Screen Tests
- A collection of rare, original screen tests for the role of Sarah! Featuring Molly Ringwald, Trini Alvarado, Tracey Gold, Claudia Wells, Jill Schoelen, Maddie Corman and Danielle von Zerneck
- The feature presented in high definition, sourced from the 4K master
- Dolby Atmos audio
- Special Features:
- “The Henson Legacy” Featurette
- Labyrinth Anniversary Q&A
- “Remembering The Goblin King” Featurette
- The Storytellers (Picture-in-Picture)
- Commentary by Conceptual Designer Brian Froud
- Original Making-of Documentary “Inside The Labyrinth”
- “Journey Through the Labyrinth: Kingdom of Characters” Documentary
- “Journey Through the Labyrinth: The Quest for Goblin City” Documentary
- Theatrical Trailers
Below, after the break, you can find the full announcement regarding this upcoming 35th anniversary limited edition of the film on the 4K UHD Blu-ray physical format.
Rumor has it that the 2000 Darren Aronofsky film “Requiem for a Dream“ is coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on May 12th, via Lionsgate, according to multiple retailers. The film, based on the novel written by Hubert Selby Jr. & nominated for an Academy Award (Oscar), starred Ellen Burstyn, Jared Leto, Jennifer Connelly, and Marlon Wayans. Tech specs for the release seem to actually already be known (according to online retailer HD Movie Source), with 4K video in the original intended 1.85:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range and DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 sound on a BD-66 (66-gigabyte disc). The release appears to also be a 2-disc set making it a “combo pack” with a Blu-ray Disc also included along with the previous bonus materials from the “Director’s Cut” released in 2009. This should likely be the director’s cut of the film, as it’s listed as UNRATED, and there’s no word yet if it will include a digital code (copy) of the film until it gets some cover artwork and/or officially announced. Currently, there’s no preorder listing for the film available over at Amazon but stay tuned for an update on that. However, you can find the 4K UHD Blu-ray already listed for preorder, with the 5/12 release date, over at retailer Target and the online retailer mentioned above as well as over at Deep Discount. So that’s three sources I’ve found pointing that this is slated to be coming out on the date mentioned and likely with the tech specs discussed above as well. We shall soon see.
EDITOR NOTE: Now, as always I want to emphasize that this is what I would still consider a “rumor” until it gets officially announced (confirmed). So, take it with a slight grain of salt and sorry Lionsgate, I’m just reporting the news here. Stumbling across a scoop and not going with it is crazy for such a cult-classic like this. Once again, stay tuned.
The 2003 Ang Lee-directed film “Hulk“ starring Eric Bana is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on July 9th via Universal. The film featured a score by Danny Elfman, and was not part of the “Marvel Cinematic Universe” but it was based on the Marvel Comics character – created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. Hulk featured a supporting cast comprised of Jennifer Connelly, Sam Elliott, Nick Nolte, and Josh Lucas. There also were even cameos by Lou Ferrigno and the late Stan Lee in the film both as security guards.
Tech specs for the 4K release include 2160p video in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range and DTS:X sound on a BD-100 (100 gigabytes) disc. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with a Blu-ray and a digital copy of the film (compatible with Movies Anywhere) included. You can find the 4K UHD Blu-ray now available for pre-order over at Amazon and Walmart. There is no word yet of any retailer exclusives coming for this release. Bonus materials set to be included are listed below.
- Feature Audio Commentary with Director Ang Lee [on 4K & Blu-ray]
Extras located on the Blu-ray Disc:
- Deleted Scenes
- Evolution of The Hulk
- The Incredible Ang Lee
- The Dog Fight Scene
- The Making of Hulk
- The Unique Style of Editing Hulk
- U-Control: Picture in Picture