Tag Archives: J.J. Abrams
Amazon Commissions Earned
The 2011 film “Super 8“ is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on May 25th via Paramount Home Entertainment. The film, both written and directed by J.J. Abrams as well as produced by Steven Spielberg, starred Elle Fanning, AJ Michalka, Kyle Chandler, Joel Courtney, Ryan Lee, Zach Mills, Riley Griffiths, Gabriel Basso, and Bruce Greenwood. It has received a new 4K remaster for this release. The tech specs for the 4K release include a 2160p presentation in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio with both HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of high dynamic range and Dolby TrueHD 7.1 sound.
You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray listed for preorder over at Amazon. Also, there will be a 10th Anniversary 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook available for this release (pictured below), which will be available at all online retailers. You can now find that 4K SteelBook available for preorder over at Amazon.
The release will come in with a digital code (copy) of the film. Bonus materials will be housed on the 4K disc and are listed below.
4K Ultra HD Disc
- Feature film in 4K Ultra HD
- Commentary by J.J. Abrams, Bryan Burk, and Larry Fong
- The Dream Behind Super 8 (HD)
- The Search for New Faces (HD)
- Meet Joel Courtney (HD)
- Rediscovering Steel Town (HD)
- The Visitor Lives (HD)
- Scoring Super 8 (HD)
- Do You Believe in Magic? (HD)
- The 8mm Revolution (HD)
- Easter Eggs (HD)
- Deconstructing the Train Crash (HD)
- Deleted Scenes (HD)
Further below, after the break, you can find the full announcement regarding the 4K release of this film.
Amazon Commissions Earned
– Amazon Commissions Earned –
The HBO original TV series “Lovecraft Country: The Complete First Season” is coming to Blu-ray on February 16th via Warner. The show, created by Misha Green, is executive produced by J.J. Abrams and Jordan Peele. The cast for the first season of the show included Jurnee Smollett, Jonathan Majors, Aunjanue Ellis, Wunmi Mosaku, Abbey Lee, Jamie Chung, Jada Harris, Michael K. William, Courtney B. Vance, Jamie Neumann, Jordan Patrick Smith, and Tony Goldwyn. Tech specs for the Blu-ray, spanning across a 3-disc set, includes a 1080p HD video presentation in the 1.78:1 aspect ratio with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound. The Blu-ray can now be found listed for preorder over at Amazon. Bonus materials set to be included on the release are listed below.
- Compendium of Horrors (NEW)
- Orithyia Blue and the Imagination of Diana Freeman (NEW)
- Crafting Lovecraft Country
- Exploring Lovecraft Country
- Lovecraft Country The Craft
Further below, after the break, you can find the full announcement regarding the home video release of the first season of this show.
The remaining films in the “Star Wars” film franchise – so far – are all coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on March 31st it seems, via Disney, according to retailer listings. There will first be a very lavish, expensive box set available (seemingly exclusive) at retailer Best Buy called “The Skywalker Saga” (pictured above) which is now available for preorder. That Skywalker Saga set will include Episodes 1-9 of the films, as well as two Blu-ray Disc counterparts for each film, filled with bonus materials – yet to be detailed. Stay tuned for further details regarding this release as it develops.
Now, as of today, there also are most certainly individual releases for Episodes 1-7 coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on March 31st as well as the film “Rogue One – A Star Wars Story” (2016). It’s certainly worth noting that these titles are now all listed over at retailer Best Buy, individually. So, as you’d expect I’ll be listing the films coming out in theatrical chronological order with direct links to the Best Buy preorder listings – not yet functional but currently placeholder pages. UPDATED: I am now adding Amazon preorder listings to this post as they are getting listed.
- “Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope” (1977)
- “Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back” (1980)
- “Star Wars: Episode VI – Return of the Jedi” (1983)
- “Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace” (1999)
- “Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones” (2002)
- “Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith” (2005)
- “Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens” (2015)
- “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” (2016)
- “Star Wars: Episode VIII – The Rise of Skywalker” (2019)
NOTE: The final film in the Skywalker Saga (“Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker”) has been announced officially, as you can read HERE in my previous news post regarding it. This story regarding the individual releases is still developing, so once again, stay tuned.
The 2019 sequel “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on March 31st, via Disney. The film, directed by J.J. Abrams, starred Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Anthony Daniels, Naomi Ackie, Domhnall Gleeson, Richard E. Grant, Lupita Nyong’o, Keri Russell, Joonas Suotamo, Kelly Marie Tran, Ian McDiarmid, and Billy Dee Williams. Tech specs for the 4K UHD Blu-ray include 2160p video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range and Dolby Atmos sound. The technical specs for the Blu-ray include HD video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio with DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 sound. Both releases will come in the form of a “combo pack” with the 4K getting its Blu-ray counterpart, the Blu-ray getting the DVD, and each getting a digital code (copy) of the film included. While it’s not yet available over at Amazon, stay tuned. However, you can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray available for preorder over at retailers Best Buy, Target, and Walmart.
The 4K release is going to be getting several exclusives at retailers. The exclusives will include a 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook over at Best Buy (pictured below), Target will get a 4K UHD Blu-ray Gallery Book (pictured below), and a 4K UHD Blu-ray Limited Edition will be exclusive over at Walmart (pictured below). You can click on the retailer names for links to preorder those exclusives.
The bonus materials set to be included on both the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray are listed below.
- The Skywalker Legacy – The story lives forever in this feature-length documentary that charts the making of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.
- Pasaana Pursuit: Creating the Speeder Chase – Dive into the making of the movie’s epic landspeeder chase and discover how this spectacular sequence was brought to the screen.
- Aliens in the Desert – See what it took to create the Pasaana desert scenes, from the sheer scale and complexity of the shoot to its colorful details.
- D-O: Key to the Past – Explore the ship that connects Rey to the mystery of her missing parents and get to know the galaxy’s newest, irresistible droid.
- Warwick & Son – Warwick Davis, who played Wicket in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, dons the Ewok costume once more; this time joined by his son Harrison.
- Cast of Creatures – The team behind the film’s memorable creatures reveal the puppetry, makeup, prosthetics and digital magic that bring them to life!
- Digital Exclusive:
- The Maestro’s Finale – Composer John Williams reflects on his body of work for the Star Wars saga and shares insights on scoring Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.
* Digital bonus offerings may vary by retailer.
Further below, after the break, you can find even further details about the upcoming home video releases of this film via the official announcement.
The J.J. Abrams produced film “Overlord” is coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on February 19th, via Paramount. The film, directed by Julius Avery, includes a cast of Jovan Adepo, Wyatt Russell, Mathilde Ollivier, Pilou Asbæk, John Magaro, Iain De Caestecker, Jacob Anderson, and Dominic Applewhite.
Tech specs for the 4K release include 2160p video presented in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio with both Dolby Vision and HDR10 forms of High Dynamic Range and Dolby Atmos sound. The technical specifications for the Blu-ray release include 1080p video presented in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio and Dolby Atmos sound. Both releases will come in the form of a “combo pack” with the 4K getting a Blu-ray included, the Blu-ray getting a DVD included, and each getting a Digital Copy of the film. The 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray are both available to pre-order now over at Amazon. Bonus materials set to be included on the releases are listed below.
- The Horrors of War
- Death Above
- Death on the Ground
- Death Below
- Death No More
- Brothers in Arms
Further below, after the break, you can find the full details regarding these upcoming releases in the official announcement.
The 2018 sequel “The Cloverfield Paradox“ is coming to Blu-ray Disc on February 5th, 2019 via Paramount. The film (as seen on Netflix) was produced by J.J. Abrams and directed by Julius Onah. The cast includes Elizabeth Debicki, Aksel Hennie, Chris O’Dowd, John Ortiz, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, David Oyelowo, Daniel Brühl, Ziyi Zhang, and Roger Davies.
Tech specs for the Blu-ray include 1080p video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio and Dolby Atmos sound. The Blu-ray is available for pre-order over at Amazon. Bonus materials set to be included on the release are listed below.
- Things Are Not as They Appear: The Making of The Cloverfield Paradox
- Shepard Team: The Cast
Below, after the break, you can find the official announcement for this release.
The Stephen King produced and inspired TV series “Castle Rock: The Complete First Season” (as seen on Hulu) is coming to both 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on January 8th, 2019 via Warner. Tech specs for the 4K release include HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range, with both it and the Blu-ray release getting DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound. This show, created by Sam Shaw and Dustin Thomason, is executive produced by J.J. Abrams, the cast for the first season features André Holland, Melanie Lynskey, Bill Skarsgård, Jane Levy, Sissy Spacek, Caleel Harris, Scott Glenn, Adam Rothenberg, and Terry O’Quinn. The 4K release will include the Blu-ray Discs of the first season as well, likely where the bonus materials are housed. Both releases will include a Digital Copy of the complete first season.
The bonus materials set to be included on the release are listed below.
- Blood on the Page (New Featurette)
- A Clockwork of Horror: Merging the styles of Stephen King & J.J. Abrams (New Featurette)
- Inside the Episode: Severance
- Inside the Episode: Habeas Corpus
- Inside the Episode Local Color
- Inside the Episode: The Box
- Inside the Episode: Harvest
- Inside the Episode: Filter
- Inside the Episode: The Queen
- Inside the Episode: Past Perfect
- Inside the Episode: Henry Dever
- Inside the Episode: Romans
It’s worth noting that this show has been picked up for a second season which is set to air sometime next year on Hulu. Further below, after the break, you can find the official announcement regarding the home video releases of this show in its first season.