Tag Archives: Ingrid Bergman
1942 classic Casablanca comes to 4K in November
Amazon Commissions Earned
The classic 1942 film “Casablanca” is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on November 8th via Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. The film, directed by Michael Curtiz, starred Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Paul Henreid, Conrad Veidt, Sydney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre, Dooley Wilson, and Claude Rains. It also is worth noting that it won a total of 3 Academy Awards (“Oscars”), including “Best Picture.“
The movie has received a new 2022 4K restoration, from Warner’s Motion Picture Imagine labs, as described below [taken from the press release]:
“The new Casablanca 4K Ultra High-Definition image was restored and remastered from a 2022 4K 16bit film scan of the best-surviving nitrate film elements. The 4K-scanned digital images went through an extensive digital restoration process to clean and repair the picture for an unprecedented and pristine ultra-high-resolution presentation. The restored images were then graded in High Dynamic Range for today’s premium 4K display experience, providing the highest fidelity in image contrast and detail retention. This work was meticulously handled by Warner Bros. Motion Picture Imaging. The original theatrical mono audio has also been newly restored as well, providing a richer and broader frequency response than previously possible.”
UPDATE #1: Tech specs for the release include a 2160p video Black & White video presentation in the 1.37:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of high dynamic range and a restored DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Mono sound mix. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning that it will have its Blu-ray Disc counterpart and include a digital code (copy) of the film.
UPDATE #2: You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon. The bonus materials set to be included with this release of the film are listed below.
- Commentary by Roger Ebert [on 4K and Blu-ray]
- Commentary by Rudy Behlmer [on 4K and Blu-ray]
- Introduction by Lauren Bacall [on 4K and Blu-ray]
- Warner Night at the Movies
- Now, Voyager trailer
- Vaudeville Days (1942 WB short)
- The Bird Came C.O.D. (1942 WB cartoon)
- The Squawkin’ Hawk (1942 WB cartoon)
- The Dover Boys at Pimento University (1942 WB cartoon)
- Great Performances: Bacall on Bogart (1988 PBS special)
- Michael Curtiz: The Greatest Director You’ve Never Heard Of
- Casablanca: An Unlikely Classic
- You Must Remember This: A Tribute to Casablanca (1992 TEC documentary)
- As Time Goes By: The Children Remember
- Deleted Scenes
- Who Holds Tomorrow? (1955 “Casablanca” TV episode)
- Carrotblanca (1955 WB Cartoon)
- Scoring Stage Sessions (audio only)
- Lady Esther Screen Guild Theater Radio Broadcast – 4/26/43 (audio only)
- Vox Pop Radio Broadcast – 11/19/47 (audio only)
Further below, after the break, you can find the full details about this upcoming 4K release of the film.
Murder on the Orient Express on Blu-ray in February
Amazon Commissions Earned
The original 1974 film adaptation of Agatha Christie‘s “Murder on the Orient Express“ is coming to Blu-ray Disc on February 8th, 2022 via Paramount Home Entertainment. The film, directed by Sidney Lumet, starred Albert Finney, Lauren Bacall, Martin Balsam, Ingrid Bergman, Jacqueline Bisset, Sean Connery, Anthony Perkins, Vanessa Redgrave, Wendy Hiller, and Michael York.
The tech specs for the release and bonus materials have not yet been detailed, but stay tuned perhaps for an update on that. You can now find the Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon. This will mark the first time that the original 1974 film has been available in the Blu-ray format. It is known (from the art) that this release will also include a digital code (copy) of the film.
Hitchcock’s 1942 film “Notorious” gets a Criterion Collection Blu-ray in January
The 1942 Alfred Hitchcock directed film “Notorious“ starring Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman is getting released on Blu-ray Disc by The Criterion Collection on January 15th, 2019. The film had previously been released on the format by MGM back in 2012, but it’s now getting re-released because it has received a New 4K restoration. The tech specs for the release include 1080p HD Black & White video in the 1.33:1 aspect ratio with an uncompressed Mono sound mix. The Criterion Collection version Blu-ray is available for PRE-ORDER over at Amazon and directly via Criterion. There are several New bonus materials set to be included on this release and the complete list can be found below, along with details about the restoration.
New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Audio commentaries from 1990 and 2001 featuring Alfred Hitchcock scholar Marian Keane and film historian Rudy Behlmer
- New interview with Hitchcock biographer Donald Spoto
- New program about the film’s visuals with cinematographer John Bailey
- New scene analysis by film scholar David Bordwell
- Once Upon a Time . . . “Notorious,” a 2009 documentary about the film featuring actor Isabella Rossellini; filmmakers Peter Bogdanovich, Claude Chabrol, and Stephen Frears; and others
- New program about Hitchcock’s storyboarding and previsualization process by filmmaker Daniel Raim
- 1948 newsreel footage of actor Ingrid Bergman and Hitchcock
- 1948 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of Notorious, starring Bergman and Joseph Cotten
- Trailers and teasers
- PLUS: An essay by critic Angelica Jade Bastién
- New cover by Greg Ruth