Tag Archives: Humphrey Bogart
1942 classic Casablanca comes to 4K in November
Amazon Commissions Earned
The classic 1942 film “Casablanca” is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on November 8th via Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. The film, directed by Michael Curtiz, starred Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Paul Henreid, Conrad Veidt, Sydney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre, Dooley Wilson, and Claude Rains. It also is worth noting that it won a total of 3 Academy Awards (“Oscars”), including “Best Picture.“
The movie has received a new 2022 4K restoration, from Warner’s Motion Picture Imagine labs, as described below [taken from the press release]:
“The new Casablanca 4K Ultra High-Definition image was restored and remastered from a 2022 4K 16bit film scan of the best-surviving nitrate film elements. The 4K-scanned digital images went through an extensive digital restoration process to clean and repair the picture for an unprecedented and pristine ultra-high-resolution presentation. The restored images were then graded in High Dynamic Range for today’s premium 4K display experience, providing the highest fidelity in image contrast and detail retention. This work was meticulously handled by Warner Bros. Motion Picture Imaging. The original theatrical mono audio has also been newly restored as well, providing a richer and broader frequency response than previously possible.”
UPDATE #1: Tech specs for the release include a 2160p video Black & White video presentation in the 1.37:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of high dynamic range and a restored DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Mono sound mix. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning that it will have its Blu-ray Disc counterpart and include a digital code (copy) of the film.
UPDATE #2: You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon. The bonus materials set to be included with this release of the film are listed below.
- Commentary by Roger Ebert [on 4K and Blu-ray]
- Commentary by Rudy Behlmer [on 4K and Blu-ray]
- Introduction by Lauren Bacall [on 4K and Blu-ray]
- Warner Night at the Movies
- Now, Voyager trailer
- Vaudeville Days (1942 WB short)
- The Bird Came C.O.D. (1942 WB cartoon)
- The Squawkin’ Hawk (1942 WB cartoon)
- The Dover Boys at Pimento University (1942 WB cartoon)
- Great Performances: Bacall on Bogart (1988 PBS special)
- Michael Curtiz: The Greatest Director You’ve Never Heard Of
- Casablanca: An Unlikely Classic
- You Must Remember This: A Tribute to Casablanca (1992 TEC documentary)
- As Time Goes By: The Children Remember
- Deleted Scenes
- Who Holds Tomorrow? (1955 “Casablanca” TV episode)
- Carrotblanca (1955 WB Cartoon)
- Scoring Stage Sessions (audio only)
- Lady Esther Screen Guild Theater Radio Broadcast – 4/26/43 (audio only)
- Vox Pop Radio Broadcast – 11/19/47 (audio only)
Further below, after the break, you can find the full details about this upcoming 4K release of the film.
1955 film We’re No Angels makes Blu-ray debut in November
– Amazon Commissions Earned –
The 1955 film “We’re No Angels” is officially coming to Blu-ray Disc, for the very first time, on November 24th via Paramount. The film, directed by Michael Curtiz, starred Humphrey Bogart, Aldo Ray, Peter Ustinov, Joan Bennett, and Basil Rathbone. The tech specs for the Blu-ray release include a 1080p HD presentation in the original 1.85:1 aspect ratio and DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Mono sound. You can now find the Blu-ray is available for preorder over at Amazon. No bonus materials will be included with this release. Lastly, it should be noted that this release will come in the form of a MOD (manufactured-on-demand) BD-ROM Blu-ray Disc if you order it via Amazon. However, if you find this on store shelves elsewhere or online elsewhere, it will be a pressed Blu-ray Disc. I was given this heads-up regarding the release. You can find a quote regarding that below.
“It’s a BD-ROM now on Amazon MOD and pressed everywhere else.”