The 1988 John Carpenter film“They Live” is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on December 8th via Scream Factory. NOTE: This marks the very first 4K release from Shout! Factory in their Scream Factory collection. The John Carpenter directed film starred Roddy Piper, Keith David, and Meg Foster. Tech specs for the release include a 2160p presentation with HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of High Dynamic Range and Dolby Atmos sound. The release will come with its Blu-ray Disc counterpart. If you all remember, I had posted last week that this release was rumored to be coming soon. Turns out that rumor was true.
UPDATE: The 4K UHD Blu-ray is now available for preorder over at Amazon. Keep in mind that it’s at MSRP (manufacturers’ suggested retail price) right now and should drop in its price over time. Also, keep in mind that Amazon features a “Pre-order Price Guarantee.” So, if it drops in price before the release date, they’ll refund you the difference.
You can also find the 4K available preorder over at retailer Target and directly via Shout! Factory — in a few different varieties. For those not interested in the other bundles available, the standard 4K release (with a bonus poster) via ShoutFactory.com is located here. Bonus materials set to be included on the 4K UHD Blu-ray Collector’s Edition release are listed below.
- Audio Commentary With Writer/Director John Carpenter And Actor Roddy Piper
- Independent Thoughts – An Interview With Writer/Director John Carpenter
- Man Vs. Aliens – An Interview With Actor Keith David
- Woman Of Mystery – An Interview With Actress Meg Foster
- Watch, Look, Listen: The Sights & Sounds Of They Live – A look At The Visual Style, Stunts And Music With Director Of Photography Gary B. Kibbe, Stunt Coordinator Jeff Imada, And Co-Composer Alan Howarth
- Original EPK: The Making Of They Live
- Footage From Commercials Created For The Film
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- TV Spots
- Still Gallery