Tag Archives: George Takei
Amazon Commissions Earned
Star Trek Original 4-Movie Collection on 4K September
Amazon Commissions Earned
A “Star Trek: The Original 4-Movie Collection“ is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on September 7th via Paramount Home Entertainment and CBS Home Entertainment. The 4K set will include the first four films in the original “Star Trek” film franchise remastered in 4K. Those of course are “Star Trek: The Motion Picture” (1979), “Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan” (1982), “Star Trek III: The Search for Spock” (1984), and “Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home” (1986). It should certainly be noted that the second film (“The Wrath of Khan”) will come with both the theatrical cut and the director’s cut.
Tech specs for each film on 4K UHD Blu-ray include a 2160p video presentation with HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of high dynamic range. It is known that this set will be spanning across an 8-disc set and that it will come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning that it will come with each film’s Blu-ray Disc counterpart (pictured below) as well as a digital copy of each. UPDATE #1: Audio will be presented in Dolby TrueHD 7.1 lossless surround sound for each film, and the first film will get a Dolby 2.0 isolated score sound mix.
These four films all starred a primary cast (crew) of William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, James Doohan, George Takei, Walter Koenig, and Nichelle Nichols. The films were directed by Robert Wise, Nicholas Meyer, and Leonard Nimoy. Nimoy actually directed the last two.
You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray set available for preorder over at Amazon. UPDATE #2: Also, individually released remastered versions of each of the four films on Blu-ray Disc will be released on the same date, September 21st. I’ve included each of the four of those below, before the official announcement, after the break. You can now find “Star Trek: The Motion Picture” remastered, “Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan” (Director’s Cut) remastered, “Star Trek III: The Search for Spock” remastered, and “Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home” remastered on Blu-ray Disc individually available for preorder over at Amazon. [NOTE: Amazon Commissions Earned]. Each release will include bonus materials and a digital copy of the film.
And, again, because this set is covering four films the bonus materials run rather lengthy and include lots of previously released extras. So, you can find all that listed below in the official announcement from StarTrek’s website as well as directly via Paramount.
1998 animated Mulan on 4K UHD Blu-ray November 10th
1998 Disney animated film “Mulan” is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on November 10th via Disney. Yes, that’s next week and comes with very little notice but that’s how Disney works. The film, directed by Tony Bancroft & Barry Cook, featured the voice talents of Ming-Na Wen, Eddie Murphy, BD Wong, Miguel Ferrer, Harvey Fierstein, James Hong, Pat Morita, George Takei, Freda Foh Shen, and Donny Osmond. The tech specs for the release include a 4K presentation in the 1.66:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of high dynamic range and Dolby Atmos sound. The 4K release will come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning that it will come with the Blu-ray Disc counterpart(s) as well as a digital code (copy) of the film. You cannot find the 4K UHD Blu-ray yet available for preorder over at Amazon, and you likely won’t anytime soon, but stay tuned for an update on that. In the meantime, realistically, you can find the 4K UHD Blu-ray available for preorder over at retailers Best Buy and Target. The bonus materials set to be included on the release, the extras from the previous Blu-ray, are listed below.
- Deleted Scenes:
- “Keep ‘Em Guessing”
- The Prologue Chronicle
- Shadow Puppets Prologue
- The Betrothal
- Shan-Yu Destroys the Village
- Mulan’s Daydream
- The Emperor’s Dream
- Classic Music and Featurettes:
- “I’ll Make a Man Out of You” Music Video Performed in Mandarin by Jackie Chan
- “Reflection” Music Video Performed by Christina Aguilera
- “Reflejo” Music Video Performed in Spanish by Lucero
- “True to Your Heart” Music Video Performed by Raven
- “True to Your Heart” Music Video Performed by Stevie Wonder & 98°
- Songs of “Mulan” – Producer Pam Coats, composer Matthew Wilder and lyricist David Zippel share the process of creating the music for “Mulan.” They discuss how they decided where to place songs in the film, what emotions the songs should evoke and how they should be used to advance the story. Also featured is a behind-the-scenes look at a recording session of “Reflection.”
- “Mulan”‘s International Journey – Disney filmmakers explain the process by which Disney animated films are translated into as many as 35 different languages. This includes using the best translators, finding the appropriate voice talent in each country and taking painstaking measures to ensure that the creative integrity of the film is preserved.
- Multilanguage Presentation – “Mulan” was translated into many languages for audiences around the world. Hear some of these languages in the musical sequence “I’ll Make a Man Out of You,” including French, Italian, Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese, Swedish and more.
- Classic Backstage Disney Featurettes
- Audio commentary by producer Pam Coats and directors Tony Bancroft and Barry Cook