Tag Archives: David Cronenberg
The 1983 film adaptation of Stephen King‘s “The Dead Zone“ starring Christopher Walken will be getting a “Collector’s Edition” Blu-ray Disc release on July 27th via Scream Factory. The film, directed by David Cronenberg, co-starred Brooke Adams, Tom Skerritt, Herbert Lom, Anthony Zerbe, and Martin Sheen.
The movie has received a “NEW 2021 4K scan of the original camera negative” according to Shout! Factory. So far, the exact tech specs have not yet been fully detailed, aside from being in 1080p HD and in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio, but stay tuned for an update on what sound configuration(s) it will receive. You can find the Collector’s Edition Blu-ray available for preorder now over at Amazon as well as directly via ShoutFactory.com. Today they [Shout! Factory] announced all of the bonus materials that are finalized and set to be included with this release, which you can find listed below.
- NEW Sarah’s Story – an interview with actress Brooke Adams
- NEW Cold Visions: Producing The Dead Zone – featuring interviews with production manager John M. Eckert and associate producer Jeffrey Chernov
- NEW Audio Commentary with director of photography Mark Irwin
- NEW Audio Commentary with film historian Michael Gingold
- NEW Audio Commentary with film historian/author Dr. Steve Haberman and filmmaker/film historian Constantine Nasr
- NEW Audio Commentary with film music historian Daniel Schweiger with isolated score selections
- Trailers from Hell – Mick Garris on The Dead Zone
- Memories from The Dead Zone
- The Look of The Dead Zone
- Visions of The Dead Zone
- The Politics of The Dead Zone
- Theatrical Trailer
- TV Spots
- Behind the Scenes still gallery
Further below, after the break, you can find the full announcement about this upcoming release of the film.
The 1996 NC-17 rated film “Crash” from director David Cronenberg is officially coming to Blu-ray Disc via The Criterion Collection on December 1st. The film, based on the novel by J.G. Ballard, starred James Spader, Holly Hunter, Elias Koteas, Deborah Kara Unger, Rosanna Arquette, and Peter MacNeill. The motion picture has received a 4K restoration that was “supervised by director of photography Peter Suschitzky,” and “approved by director David Cronenberg.” Tech specs for the release include a 1080p HD presentation in the 1.66:1 aspect ratio with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 that has also been approved by the film’s director. The Criterion Collection Blu-ray is now available for preorder over at Amazon. You can find a full list of details about the release and bonus materials set to be included (taken from Criterion’s site) below.
- New 4K digital restoration supervised by director of photography Peter Suschitzky, and 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray, both approved by director David Cronenberg
- Audio commentary from 1997 featuring Cronenberg
- Press conference from the 1996 Cannes Film Festival featuring Cronenberg; Suschitzky; author J. G. Ballard; producers Robert Lantos and Jeremy Thomas; and actors Rosanna Arquette, Holly Hunter, Elias Koteas, James Spader, and Deborah Kara Unger
- Q&A from 1996 with Cronenberg and Ballard at the National Film Theatre in London
- Behind-the-scenes footage and press interviews from 1996
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- PLUS: An essay by film critic Jessica Kiang
- New cover by Phil Hale
It turns out, there will be a “Stephen King 5-Movie Collection“ coming to the Blu-ray format on September 15th, via Paramount. This news comes via early retailer alerts. The collection includes the following TV mini-series and feature-length films:
- “The Stand” (1994 TV Mini-Series)
- “Pet Sematary” (1989)
- “Pet Sematary” (2019)
- “Silver Bullet” (1985)
- “The Dead Zone” (1983) [New to Blu-ray]
Yes, that is including one David Cronenberg directed adaptation making its debut to the HD Blu-ray format, that happens to be one of my personal favorites. That said, I am not sure if there will be an individual release of “The Dead Zone” or not. Perhaps it could be exclusive to this set? We shall hopefully soon find out, but so far there’s no sign of it listed anywhere on retailers.
The five movies will all be included on their own individual Blu-ray Discs, making it a 5-disc set. Tech specs for the discs vary from film-to-film but I’ll try to be bringing you a full list of them soon. As for the tech specs on the new to Blu-ray release of “The Dead Zone” I cannot yet speak of those, but I will however be inquiring to a direct Paramount contact next week regarding this release and other topics pertaining to it. For instance, I will also hopefully have some info as to if any bonus materials will be included for The Dead Zone. In the meantime, you can now find the Blu-ray set available for preorder over at Amazon and Best Buy. Finally, one little note, based on the prices (as seen there at those two retailers) you can expect Amazon’s price to drop by a considerable bit, as well as be matched (via their “Pre-order Price Guarantee”). Stay tuned for further details about this upcoming release.
The 1975 David Cronenberg film “Shivers“ is officially coming to Blu-ray Disc on September 15th, via Vestron Video & Lionsgate. The cult-classic horror/sci-fi movie, both written & directed by Cronenberg, starred Paul Hampton, Joe Silver, Lynn Lowry, Allan Kolman, and Barbara Steele. Tech specs for the release include a 1080p HD video presentation in the 1.78:1 aspect ratio with DTS-HD Master Audio Mono sound. A digital copy of the film will be included. You can now find the Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon. Bonus materials set to be included on the release are listed below.
- *NEW* Audio Commentary with Writer-Director David Cronenberg and Co-Producer Don Carmody
- *NEW* “Mind Over Matter” – An Interview with Writer-Director David Cronenberg
- *NEW* “Good Night Nurse” – An Interview with Actress Lynn Lowry
- *NEW* “Outside and Within” – An Interview with Special Make-Up Effects Creator Joe Blasco
- *NEW* “Celebrating Cinépix” – An Interview with Greg Dunning
- Archival 1998 David Cronenberg Interview
- Still Gallery with Optional Archival Audio Interview with Executive Producer John Dunning
- Theatrical Trailers
- TV Spot
- Radio Spots
Further below, after the break, you can find the full announcement including more details about this upcoming Blu-ray release of the film.