The 1996 film adaptation of the story “Matilda” is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray format in limited edition SteelBook packaging on September 5th via Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. The film, based on the Roald Dahl book of the same title was directed by, produced by, and co-starred Danny DeVito. It starred Mara Wilson, Rhea Pearlman, Embeth Davidtz, Pam Ferris, and Paul Reubens. The release will include a new 4K scan of the film [“scanned from the original camera negative”] presented in both HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of high dynamic range, presented in the 2.40:1 aspect ratio, as well as feature sound in Dolby Atmos and the original theatrical 5.1 surround in lossless DTS-HD Master Audio. This 2-disc release will come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning it will also include the Blu-ray as well as a digital copy of the film. Also, the release will feature an all-new director audio commentary with Danny Devito, as listed below along with the other extras set to be included on this release as bonus materials.
- NEW: Audio Commentary with Director Danny DeVito [4K Exclusive]
- Theatrical Trailer
- Afternoon Tea: A Very Magical Matilda Reunion
- Matilda’s Movie Magic!
- A Children’s Guide to Good Manners
- Escape to the Library
- My Movie About Making Matilda by Mara Wilson
You can find the 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook of “Matilda” now available for preorder at retailers. Below you can find a glimpse at the SteelBook packaging opened.
Further below, after the break, you can find the full details about this upcoming release via the press release.
Amazon Commissions Earned
The 1999 film “Man on the Moon“ is officially getting a Special Edition Blu-ray Disc release on February 22nd, 2022 via KL Studio Classics. The film, directed by Milos Forman, which was based on the life of Andy Kaufman, starred Jim Carrey, Danny DeVito, Paul Giamatti, and Courtney Love.
The movie has received a new 2K master, “approved and Color Graded by Cinematographer Anastas Michos.” The tech specs for the release include a 1080p HD video presentation in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 lossless surround and 2.0 Stereo lossless sound mixes. You can now find the Special Edition Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon. The bonus materials set to be included with the release are listed below.
- NEW Audio Commentary by Screenwriters Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski, Moderated by Film Historian Howard S. Berger
- THIS MIGHT BE A STORY…: Screenwriters Scott Alexander & Larry Karaszewski in Conversation with Milos Forman (An Excerpt from a Recently Recovered 1999 Micro-Cassette Recording of the Director and Screenwriters of MAN ON THE MOON Discussing the Film and the Craft of the Biopic) (22:01)
- Spotlight on Location: The Making of MAN ON THE MOON (19:01)
- Deleted Scenes (12:00)
- R.E.M. Music Video: Man on the Moon
- R.E.M. Music Video: The Great Beyond
Amazon Commissions Earned
The 1996 film “Space Jam” is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on July 6th via Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. The film, directed by Joe Pytka, featured NBA legend Michael Jordan as well as the Looney Tunes animated characters. In addition to that, the cast also featured Wayne Knight, Theresa Randle, the voice of Danny DeVito, plus Bill Murray, and NBA players Larry Bird, Charles Barkley, and Patrick Ewing as themselves. The tech specs for the 4K release include a 2160p video presentation with HDR10 form of high dynamic range, while the audio presentation has not yet been detailed. I’m waiting to hear back directly from Warner regarding if this contains Dolby Atmos or simply a lossless 5.1 surround sound mix and I hope to have an update on that for you very soon.
The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning that you’ll get the Blu-ray Disc counterpart and a digital code (copy) of the film. UPDATE: The 4K UHD Blu-ray now has a placeholder page over at Amazon, but still is not yet a functional preorder listing. Stay tuned for an update on that. The release will include the following previously released extras.
- Commentary from director Joe Pytka, Bugs Bunny (voiced by Billy West) and Daffy Duck (voiced by Dee Bradley Baker)
- Featurette: “Jammin” with Bugs Bunny and Michael Jordan
- Music videos including Seal’s “Fly Like an Eagle” and Monstars’ anthem “Hit ‘Em High”
Below, after the break, you can find the full details regarding this upcoming 4K release of the film.
Amazon Commissions Earned
The 2003 film “Big Fish” directed by Tim Burton is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on May 4th via Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. The film, based on the novel by Daniel Wallace, starred Ewan McGregor, Albert Finney, Billy Crudup, Jessica Lange, Helena Bonham Carter, Alison Lohman, Missi Pyle, Steve Buscemi, and Danny DeVito. This movie has received a new 4K remaster from the original camera negative. The tech specs for the 4K UHD Blu-ray release include a 2160p presentation in the original 1.85:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of high dynamic range and Dolby Atmos sound as well as the original 5.1 lossless theatrical sound mix (in DTS-HD Master Audio). The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning that it will include its Blu-ray Disc counterpart and a digital code (copy) of the film. UPDATE: You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray listed as available for preorder over at Amazon. The bonus materials set to be included with the release are listed below.
- Tim Burton Audio Commentary, Moderated by Mark Salisbury
- The Character’s Journey
- Edward Bloom at Large
- Amos at the Circus
- Fathers and Sons
- The Filmmaker’s Path
- Tim Burton: Storyteller
- A Fairytale World
- Creature Features
- The Author’s Journey
- Original Cast Interviews & Behind the Scenes
- Easter Eggs
- Theatrical Trailer
Further below, after the break, you can find the full details regarding this upcoming 4K physical release of the film.
– Amazon Commissions Earned –
The 1988 comedy “Twins“ starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito will officially be making its Blu-ray Disc debut on November 17th via Shout Select (Shout! Factory). As noted, this will be the first time that this film will be available on the format here in the United States. The film, directed by Ivan Reitman, co-starred Kelly Preston, Chloe Webb, and Bonnie Bartlett. No specific info yet regarding the tech specs or bonus materials on this release though, as they are in the process of being created. The full details about the release will be announced at a later date.
UPDATE: You can now find the film on Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon. Also, Shout! Factory was kind enough to reveal to one of the site’s readers that this will be spine number 113 in the Shout Select series.
– Commissions Earned –
The 2019 sequel “Jumanji: The Next Level” is officially coming to both 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc formats on March 17th via Sony. The film, directed by Jake Kasdan, stars Dwayne Johnson, Jack Black, Kevin Hart, Karen Gillan, Nick Jonas, Awkwafina, Danny DeVito, Danny Glover, Colin Hanks, and Rhys Darby. The tech specs for the 4K release will be IMAX Enhanced including 2160p video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range and DTS:X sound. The tech specs for the Blu-ray release have not yet been detailed but stay tuned and I’ll update this when Sony gets me the info. The releases will both come in the form of a “combo pack” with the 4K getting the Blu-ray counterpart, the Blu-ray getting the DVD counterpart, and each getting a digital code (copy) of the film included. The 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray are now both available for preorder over at Amazon. It is also worth noting that there will be a bundled “2-Movie Collection” Blu-ray Disc set coming out – featuring the first film: “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle” (2017). Plus, there’s going to be a 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook release (pictured below) exclusive to retailer Best Buy.
The bonus materials set to be included on both releases are listed below.
- Gag Reel
- “Rhys Darby Wants To Jingle”: How do you top Jack Black and Nick Jonas’s unforgettable theme song for the first one? Everyone’s favorite Non Player Character, Rhys Darby is ready to take it to the next, next level.
- “Body Swapping: Snapping Into Character”: “In the latest Jumanji adventure, the avatar roles are turned on their heads with new characters and hilarious performances.”
- “Back Together: Reuniting the Cast”: Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart, Karen Gillan and Jack Black are back and better than ever as they share their excitement to reunite.
- “Level Up: Making Jumanji: The Next Level”: From breathtaking scenery, wild adventure, new characters and more- go behind the scenes with the cast and crew as they take Jumanji to the Next Level.
- “Scene Breakdown: Ostrich Chase”: Jump in your dune buggy and go inside the epic ostrich chase scene as the filmmakers and visual effects team breakdown the creation of this memorable scene.
- “Scene Breakdown: Mandrill Bridges”: Moving rope bridges, giant mandrills and incredible stunt work make the mandrills attack one of the most adrenaline pack parts of this film. In this scene breakdown, see how they pulled it off.
- “Awkwafina Cat Burglar”: To prepare for her roles as pickpocket, Ming Fleetwood, superstar Awkwafina got a little too method behind the scenes.
- “NPC Confessions: Jurgen The Brutal”: Being the bad guy isn’t all glory. Jurgen The Brutal gets real in this candid confessional.
- “Grow Up:” Danny DeVito and Danny Glover help Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart get in touch with their inner grumpy old men.
- “Telenovela”: Kevin Hart gets lost in translation in this melodramatic promo.
- “VFX Pre-Vis: Zeppelin Battle”: Compare the detail of the visual effects pre visualization reel and the final picture breakdown of the thrilling Zeppelin battle.
- “VFX Pre-Vis: Ostrich Chase”: Track the progression from pre-visualization to finished scene in a side by side comparison of the ostrich chase.
- AR GAME: The 4K UHD, Blu-ray and DVD include a collectible map that is fully interactive, employing Augmented Reality to bring Jumanji to life through a smart phone, allowing users to create their own 8-bit Avatar, navigate a series of mini games and much more!
Further below, after the break, you can find some videos in promotion for the home video release, as well as the full details from the announcement regarding the upcoming home video releases of this film.