1985 Dario Argento film Phenomena gets a 4K in March
Amazon Commissions Earned
The 1985 Dario Argento film “Phenomena“ starring Jennifer Connelly is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on March 8th, 2022 via Synapse Films, in conjunction with Arrow Video. The film, co-written, produced, and directed by Dario Argento, co-starred Daria Nicolodi, Fiore Argento, Fiorenza Tessari, Dalila Di Lazzaro, Patrick Bauchau, and Donald Pleasence. MAJOR NOTE: This will be a limited edition set and only 6000 will be produced.
The movie has received a new 4K restoration for “all three versions of Phenomena, including the original Italian version (116 mins.), the International cut (100 mins.), and the U.S. “Creepers” cut (83 mins.).”
The tech specs for the release include a 2160p 4K video presentation in the 1.66:1 (matted) aspect ratio spanning across a 2-disc set. The first 4K UHD Blu-ray disc will contain the Italian version of the film, and the second 4K UHD Blu-ray disc will contain the International and “Creepers” versions. Now, the audio here for the 3 different versions of the film is going to have a lot of options, including multiple English and the Italian language mixes in lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and 2.0 Stereo configurations as well as PCM 1.0 Mono in a few instances. As it gets a bit complex, I’ve noted all of the audio mixes included for all 3 different versions below with the subtitles offered as well.
- Lossless Italian DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and PCM 2.0 stereo soundtracks, derived from the original 4-channel Dolby Stereo elements
- Lossless “hybrid” English/Italian DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack
- Lossless English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and PCM 2.0 stereo soundtracks on the international version, derived from the original 4-channel Dolby Stereo elements
- Lossless English PCM 1.0 mono soundtrack on Creepers, mastered from the original 3 track DME magnetic mix
- Rare alternate 2.0 stereo mix on the international version, featuring different sound effects and music cues
- Lossless English PCM soundtracks on Creepers, mastered from the original 3 track DME magnetic mix and presented in two variants: 1.0 mono and an alternate 2.0 mix with stereo music
- English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the hybrid soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon. And you can expect that price to drop some, as it’s the MSRP (list price). Remember, Amazon offers a preorder price guarantee. In fact, you can also find the 4K UHD Blu-ray available for preorder over at online retailer DiabolikDVD for a considerable bit cheaper. That said, I’d expect Amazon will drop to that price or be forced to match it.
The release will come only with the 4K UHD Blu-ray, and bonus materials will be included on it, which are listed further below along with physical extras (pictured first below).
- Limited edition slipcase packaging designed by artist Wes Benscoter
- Reversible sleeve artwork
- Collector’s booklet featuring liner notes from Mikel J. Koven, Rachael Nisbet and Leonard Jacobs
- Fold-out poster
- A set of lobby card reproduction artcards
- Audio commentary by Troy Howarth, author of Murder by Design: The Unsane Cinema of Dario Argento (on Italian Version)
- Of Flies and Maggots, a feature-length 2017 documentary produced by Arrow Films, including interviews with co-writer/producer/director Dario Argento, actors Fiore Argento, Davide Marotta, Daria Nicolodi and others…
- U.S. theatrical trailer and radio spots for ‘Creepers’
- Original Italian and international theatrical trailers
- “Jennifer” music video, directed by Dario Argento
- Japanese pressbook gallery
- Audio commentary on the international version by Argento scholar and author Derek Botelho and film historian, journalist and radio/television commentator David Del Valle
- The Three Sarcophagi, a visual essay by Arrow producer Michael Mackenzie comparing the different cuts of Phenomena