The 2019 sequel “Maleficent: Mistress of Evil” seems to be coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on January 14th, 2020 via Disney, according to retailers. The film, directed by Joachim Rønning, stars Angelina Jolie, Elle Fanning, Michelle Pfeiffer, Harris Dickinson, Sam Riley, Robert Lindsay, and Chiwetel Ejiofor. Tech specs and bonus materials for the release have not yet been detailed but stay tuned for an update on that. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with the 4K getting a Blu-ray counterpart (with bonus materials), the Blu-ray getting a DVD counterpart, and both getting a digital code (copy) of the film. You can’t yet find the 4K UHD Blu-ray or Blu-ray listed on Amazon, but stay tuned for an update on that. In the meantime, however, you can find both the 4K and Blu-ray listed over at retailers Best Buy, Target, and Walmart. It’s worth noting that retailer Best Buy will also be getting an exclusive 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook of the film, which is now available for preorder (pictured below). Also, retailer Target will be getting an exclusive 4K UHD Blu-ray book packaging of the film, which is also now available for preorder (pictured further below).
The 2019 live-action adaptation of “The Lion King” is officially coming to both 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on October 22nd via Disney. The film, directed by Jon Favreau, features the voice talents of Donald Glover, Beyonce, Seth Rogen, John Oliver, James Earl Jones, Chiwetel Ejiofor, John Kani, Keegan-Michael Key, Eric Andre, and Billy Eichner. Tech specs for the 4K release include 2160p video in the 1.78:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range and Dolby Atmos sound. The technical specifications for the Blu-ray include 1080p HD video in the 1.78:1 aspect ratio and DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 sound. Both releases will come in the form of “combo pack” with the 4K getting the Blu-ray counterpart (including extras), the Blu-ray getting the DVD, and a digital code (copy) of the film for each. The 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc of the film are now both available for preorder over at Amazon. There also will be a 4K Steelbook (pictured below) exclusive to retailer Best Buy, which you can also find available for preorder. In addition to that, retailer Target will be getting the typical exclusive Story Book (pictured below) style packaging that you can find up for preorder as well.
Bonus materials set to be included on the releases of the film are listed below.
- Perfecting the Pride – Join the filmmakers on their research trip to Africa as they immerse themselves in the real world of “The Lion King.” From the animals in the pride, to the smallest of insects and the grasslands in the savanna, experience the attention to detail that brought the film to life.
- Pride Lands Pedia —Dung beetle shares the importance of his “roll” in the African Savanna in a fun, bug’s eye view of the land and its inhabitants.
BLU-RAY & DIGITAL BONUS:
- The Journey to “The Lion King” –
- The Music – Go inside the studio with the cast and crew as they work to honor and elevate The Lion King’s beloved music.
- The Magic – Discover how the filmmakers blended the traditional filmmaking techniques with virtual reality technology to create amazing movie magic.
- The Timeless Tale – Filmmakers and cast reflect on the story that has moved generations and share how this Lion King carries a proud legacy forward.
- More to Be Scene – Recording studio and layer-by-layer progressions of some of most iconic moments in “The Lion King.”
- “Circle of Life” – Peel back the layers of effects and go behind the scenes of this iconic musical moment from the film
- “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” – See all the effects, talent and fun that went into creating this vibrant version of “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” for the movie
- “Hakuna Matata” – Join Donald Glover (Simba), Seth Rogen (Pumbaa) and Billy Eichner (Timon) in the studio for the making of this memorable scene.
- Music Videos
- “Never Too Late” (lyric video) by Elton John
- “Spirit” performed by Beyoncé Knowles-Carter
- Filmmaker Introduction
- Audio Commentary – By Director Jon Favreau.
- Song Selection
- “Circle of Life”
- “I Just Can’t Wait to be King”
- “Be Prepared”
- “Hakuna Matata”
- “The Lion Sleeps Tonight”
- “Never Too Late”
- Protect the Pride –Director Jon Favreau, the Lion Recovery Fund and conservationists highlight efforts to protect the majestic lions and their home.
Further below, after the break, you can find the full announcement regarding those upcoming releases of the film.
The 2016 Marvel Studios film “Doctor Strange“ starring Benedict Cumberbatch sure seems to be coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on October 1st via Marvel (Disney), according to multiple retailer listings. The film, part of the “Marvel Cinematic Universe” and directed by Scott Derrickson, co-starred Chiwetel Ejiofor, Rachel McAdams, Benedict Wong, Mads Mikkelsen, and Tilda Swinton. Tech specs for the 4K release include 2160p video in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range and Dolby Atmos sound. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with the Blu-ray and a digital code (copy) of the film included. The 4K UHD Blu-ray is now available for pre-order over at Amazon. Retailer Best Buy will be getting a 4K Exclusive Steelbook release of the film (pictured below) which is available for pre-order as well.
The bonus materials set to be included on the release will be identical to those found on the previous Blu-ray, as they actually use that disc for the extras. No new extras will be included on this 4K release.
The 2007 Ridley Scott directed film “American Gangster“ starring Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe is coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on October 15th via Universal. The film, nominated for two Academy Awards, co-starred Chiwetel Ejiofor, Josh Brolin, Lymari Nadal, Ted Levine, John Hawkes, RZA, and Ruby Dee. Tech specs for the 4K include 2160p video in 2.35:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 and HDR10+ forms of High Dynamic Range and DTS:X sound. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with a Blu-ray Disc and digital code (copy) of the film included. You can find the 4K UHD Blu-ray now available to pre-order over at Amazon. Bonus materials set to be included on the release are listed below.
- Feature Commentary with director Ridley Scott and writer Steven Zaillian [also on the 4K disc]
- Fallen Empire: Making American Gangster
- Case Files
- Hip Hop Infusion Featuring Common and T.I.
- The BET Special: The Making of American Gangster
- Dateline NBC: American Gangster First Look
- “Do You Feel Me (Remix)” performed by Anthony Hamilton featuring Ghostface Killah
- “Blue Magic” from Jay-Z’s Album American Gangster
- Theatrical Trailer
- U-Control: Picture in Picture