Amazon Commissions Earned
The 1995 film “12 Monkeys” is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray for the very first time on April 26th via Arrow Video here in the United States. The film, directed by Terry Gilliam, starred Bruce Willis, Madeleine Stowe, David Morse, Christopher Plummer, and Brad Pitt.
The tech specs for the release include a 2160p video presentation in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of high dynamic range and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround and 2.0 Stereo lossless sound mixes. This is said to be using a “brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative by Arrow Films, approved by director Terry Gilliam.”
You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon here in the US. Also, the United Kingdom will be getting their 4K UHD Blu-ray release a day early, and on that note, here’s the Amazon UK preorder for that version. The bonus materials set to be included with the release are listed below.
- Audio commentary by Terry Gilliam and producer Charles Roven
- The Hamster Factor and Other Tales of Twelve Monkeys, feature-length making-of documentary by Keith Fulton and Louis Pepe (Lost in La Mancha)
- The Film Exchange with Terry Gilliam, a 1996 interview with Gilliam and critic Jonathan Romney, recorded at the London Film Festival
- Appreciation by Ian Christie, author of Gilliam on Gilliam
- The Twelve Monkeys Archives
- Theatrical trailer
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gary Pullin
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring writing on the film by Nathan Rabin and Ian Christie
Amazon Commissions Earned
The 2012 film “Looper“ is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on February 15th, 2022 via Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. The film, written & directed by Rian Johnson, starred Bruce Willis, Joseph-Gordon Levitt, Emily Blunt, Paul Dano, Noah Segan, Piper Perabo, Garret Dillahunt, and Jeff Daniels. It’s also most definitely worth noting that this film, still to this day, is “Certified Fresh” over at Rotten Tomatoes.
The film has received a new 4K scan that was “reviewed and approved by the filmmakers” — according to the press release. The tech specs for the release include a 2160p video presentation in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio with Dolby Vision and HDR10 forms of high dynamic range and a new director-approved Dolby Atmos sound mix, along with the original DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 lossless surround sound. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning that it will include its Blu-ray Disc counterpart as well as a digital code (copy) of the film.
UPDATE #1: You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon.
The bonus materials set to be included on the release include nothing but the previous Blu-ray extras, listed below.
- Feature Commentary with Director Rian Johnson, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Emily Blunt
- Looper: The Future From the Beginning — Making-of Featurette
- 22 Deleted Scenes with Commentary
- Scoring Looper
- The Science of Time Travel Featurette
- Looper Animated Trailer
And, yes, I know this has been previously released on the 4K format in the United Kingdom but this will mark the first time it has been available in North America. UPDATE #2: It should definitely be noted that this upcoming US 4K isn’t even using the same video transfer or the same sound mix found on that UK 4K physical release. In fact, the director [Rian Johnson] just recently went as far as to actually discuss his approval of this upcoming 4K release in a tweet (seen below).
Further below, after the break, you can find the trailer for the film and the full announcement regarding the 4K physical release here in the United States of the film.
Amazon Commissions Earned
The 1996 animated motion picture “Beavis and Butt-Head Do America“ is finally coming to Blu-ray Disc on December 7th via Paramount Home Entertainment. The film, a spin-off of the MTV TV show [“Beavis & Butt-Head”], celebrating its 25th anniversary, was co-written & co-directed by creator Mike Judge, who also lent his voice talents to the lead characters and a few others. The movie also featured the voice talents of Bruce Willis, Demi Moore, Robert Stack, and Cloris Leachman.
UPDATE: The tech specs for the release include a 1080p HD video presentation and a DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 lossless surround sound mix, as well as a French Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo mix. As for extras, all of the special features from the previous DVD release are being ported over. The release will also come with a digital code (copy) of the film, which is compatible with iTunes [AppleTV] and VUDU. You can now find the Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon.
Amazon Commissions Earned
The 2009 film “G.I. Joe: Retaliation” is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on July 20th via Paramount Home Entertainment. The sequel to the 2009 film, based on the popular Hasbro action figure franchise, directed by Jon M. Chu, featured a cast of Dwayne Johnson, Channing Tatum, Bruce Willis, Ray Park, Elodie Yung, Ray Stevenson, D.J. Cotrona, Adrianne Palicki, Lee Byung-Hun, Luke Bracey, Jonathan Pryce, Walton Goggins, RZA, Joseph Mazzello, and Arnold Vosloo.
The tech specs for the 4K release include a 2160p video presentation in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of high dynamic range as well as Dolby TrueHD 7.1 lossless surround sound. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning that it will come with its Blu-ray counterpart and a digital code (copy) of the film. You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon. The bonus materials set to be included with this release will be an audio commentary, found on both the 4K and Blu-ray disc, and extras only on the Blu-ray listed below.
- Commentary by director Jon M. Chu and producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura
- G.I. JOE: Declassified
- Mission Briefing
- Two Ninjas
- The Desert Attack
- COBRA Strikes
- The Lone Soldiers
- The Monastery
- Fort Sumter
- Deleted Scenes
Further below, after the break, you can find the full announcement regarding this film and the first film from 2009 (“G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra”) coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray format, in an obvious promotion for the upcoming release of “Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins” in July.
The 2019 M. Night Shyamalan written & directed film “Glass” is coming to both 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on April 16th via Universal, according to an early alert to retailers. The film just released last week theatrically is a sequel to the films “Unbreakable” (2000) and “Split” (2016). Glass features a cast of James McAvoy, Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, and Sarah Paulson.
UPDATE: Tech specs for the 4K release includes 2160p video in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range and Dolby Atmos sound. Tech specs for the Blu-ray include 1080p video in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio and Dolby Atmos sound. Both releases will come in the form of a “combo pack” with the 4K getting a Blu-ray Disc, the Blu-ray getting a DVD, and both including a Digital Copy of the film. The 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray are now both available with pre-order listings over at Amazon. Bonus materials set to be included on the releases are listed below.
- The Collection of Main Characters – A look at all the main players and how they fit in the universe created by filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan.
- David Dunn
- Elijah Price
- Kevin Wendell Crumb
- The Rest of the Family
- Bringing the Team Back Together – M. Night Shyamalan is famous for working with many of the same crew from film to film. In this piece, cast and crew share personal stories of why Shyamalan’s productions feel like seeing family again.
- David Dunn vs. The Beast – An in-depth look at the animalistic face-off between David Dunn and The Beast
- Glass Decoded – M. Night Shyamalan unveils some secrets of continuity and style from across the Glass trilogy
- Breaking Glass: The Stunts – The superhuman strength of The Beast is best illustrated in the stunts. Take a behind the scenes look into the very effective methods of executing stunts in the film.
- Connecting the Glass Universe – Explore M. Night Shyamalan’s stylistic approach to the Glass trilogy and the unconventional concept of a comic book movie grounded in reality.
- M. Night Shyamalan: Behind the Lens – Cast and crew discuss Shyamalan’s dedicated and meticulous approach to storytelling.
- The Sound of Glass – Composer West Dylan Thordson elaborates on his use of string instruments to create tension, and explains why recording the score on-location enhanced the tone of Glass.
- Enhancing the Spectacle – The VFX team provides details on the rewarding task of using CGI as an effective tool to intensify the narrative of Glass.
- Raven Hill Memorial – Roam the long corridors of Raven Hill Memorial Hospital and see why the cast and crew describe the eerie location as its own character in the film.
- Night Vision – A look at the early stages of Glass by examining the storyboards and their remarkable similarity to the final shots in the film.
- Alternate Opening – Introduction by director M. Night Shyamalan available
- Deleted Scenes – Introductions by director M. Night Shyamalan available
- David Alone at Bar
- Patricia Talks to Cheerleaders
- David Encounters Pierce
- Casey in Art Class
- Dr. Staple Explains Machine
- Mrs. Price in Waiting Room
- Mrs. Price Talks to Elijah
- Dr. Staple Drinks Tea
- Pierce Checks Elijah’s Room
- Mrs. Price Tells Elijah About Surgery
- David Submits to Dr. Staple
- Patients Worship The Beast
- A Conversation with James McAvoy and M. Night Shyamalan – Star James McAvoy and Producer/Writer/Director M. Night Shyamalan discuss the importance of originality when creating a film in this genre.
Lastly, the film will be receiving an exclusive Steelbook release for the 4K version over at retailer Best Buy. This will also come with 3 collectible character art cards (shown below). It’s not yet available for pre-order there but a placeholder page is already up. The artwork for that Steelbook can be found below.