The 1978 Robert Zemeckis directed film “I Wanna Hold Your Hand“ is finally getting a Blu-ray Disc release on March 26th, via The Criterion Collection. The film, co-wrote by Bob Gale and produced by Steven Spielberg, featured a story involving teenagers traveling to see the legendary performance by The Beatles on “The Ed Sullivan Show” taping. The cast included Nancy Allen, Bobby Di Cicco, Marc McClure, Susan Kendall Newman, Theresa Saldana, Wendie Jo Sperber, and Eddie Deezen.
The film has received a new 4K restoration, that was approved by both the director (Zemeckis) and co-writer (Bob Gale). Tech specs include 1080p in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio and DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound. The title on Blu-ray is available to pre-order now over at Amazon. Bonus materials (and specific details regarding the restoration) are listed below.
- New 4K digital restoration, approved by director Robert Zemeckis and cowriter Bob Gale, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- New conversation among Zemeckis, Gale, and executive producer Steven Spielberg
- New interview with actors Nancy Allen and Marc McClure
- Audio commentary from 2004 featuring Zemeckis and Gale
- The Lift (1972) and A Field of Honor (1973), two early short films by Zemeckis
- Trailer and radio spots
- PLUS: An essay by critic Scott Tobias
- New cover by Manansseh Johnson
The 1980 Robert Zemeckis film “Used Cars“ starring Kurt Russell has just been announced to be coming to Blu-ray Disc on February 26th, 2019 via Shout Select (Shout! Factory). The film, co-wrote by Bob Gale (“Back to the Future”), featured a supporting cast of Gerrit Graham, Frank McRae, Deborah Harmon and Jack Warden. Tech specs and bonus materials have not yet been released, but stay tuned for a later update on that in the future.
The Blu-ray is also available for pre-order directly over at Shout! Factory‘s store. Lastly, it is worth noting that this title has been previously released on the Blu-ray format by Twilight Time back in 2014. This will be the second release here in the United States of the film on the Blu-ray format.