The 2014 Laika Studios stop-motion animated film “The Boxtrolls” is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray in standard and 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook limited edition forms on February 28th via Shout! Factory. The film, co-directed by Graham Annable and Anthony Stacchi, featured the voice talents of Isaac Hempstead Wright, Ben Kingsley, Richard Ayoade, Nick Frost, Tracy Morgan, Jared Harris, and Toni Collette.
The movie has received a new 4K restoration. Tech specs will include a 2160p video presentation in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of high dynamic range and a new Dolby Atmos sound mix. The 4K releases of the film in standard and SteelBook form will both come as a “combo pack” with the Blu-ray Disc counterpart included. The bonus materials set to be included with the releases are listed below.
- “Inside LAIKA” – Discovering The Characters Of The Boxtrolls Featuring Rare Test Footage
- “Inside LAIKA” – Revisiting The Puppets With LAIKA’s Animation Team
- Feature-Length Storyboards
- Character Art and Concept Art Photo Gallery
- Foreword By Ramin Zahed, The Editor In Chief Of Animation Magazine
- Audio Commentary With Directors Graham Annable And Anthony Stacchi
- “Dare To Be Square” – The Making Of The Boxtrolls
- Original Featurettes
- Art & Essay Mini-Book
UPDATE: You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray and 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook both available for preorder over at retailer Amazon. The limited edition 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook is available for preorder over at retailer Walmart as well as directly via Shout! Factory’s online store. Stay tuned for a preorder for the standard 4K release at respectable retailers soon.
Amazon Commissions Earned
The 1995 modern cult-classic sci-fi (science fiction) film “Species“ is coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray in a “Collector’s Edition” on July 26th via Scream Factory (Shout! Factory), according to retailers. The film, directed by Roger Donaldson, starred Natasha Henstridge, Ben Kingsley, Michael Madsen, Alfred Molina, Forest Whitaker, and Michelle Williams.
The tech specs and bonus materials for the release have not yet been detailed, but stay tuned for any update(s). It is known that the release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with its Blu-ray Disc counterpart included. You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray available for preorder over at Amazon.
Amazon Commissions Earned
The 2021 Marvel Studios film “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on November 30th via Disney. The film, based on Marvel Comics & directed by Destin Daniel Cretton, stars Simu Liu, Tony Leung, Awkwafina, Meng’er Zhang, Fala Chen, Michelle Yeoh, Yuen Wah, and Sir Ben Kingsley. It is most certainly worth noting that at the time of writing this film is “Certified Fresh” over at Rotten Tomatoes.
The tech specs for the 4K UHD Blu-ray include a 2160p video presentation in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of high dynamic range and Dolby Atmos sound. Tech specs for the Blu-ray release include a 1080p HD video presentation in the 2.39:1 aspect with DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 lossless surround sound. The 4K physical release will come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning that it will come with its Blu-ray counterpart. Each release will include a digital code (copy) of the film.
UPDATE #1: You now can find preorder listings for the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray over at Amazon. Yes, Amazon. Also, alternatively, you can find the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray both available for preorder over at retailers Best Buy and Target. Best Buy will be getting an exclusive 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook (pictured below) which is now available for preorder.
UPDATE #2: There also will be a retailer exclusive 4K UHD Blu-ray Art Edition (pictured below) which is now available for preorder over at Target.
The bonus materials set to be included with both the 4K UHD Blu-ray and the Blu-ray releases are listed below.
- Gag Reel – Take a look at some of the fun mishaps on set with the cast and crew of Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings.
- Deleted Scenes
- They’re Waiting – Shang-Chi and Katy connect with Xialing over a call.
- Take a Shot – Katy has a moment of resolve during a battle.
- Apology – Years after his sudden absence, Shang-Chi tries to apologize to Xialing.
- I’m Here – Shang-Chi and Katy have a conversation in the alley. Katy reassures Shang-Chi that she will always be his support system.
- Pep Talk – In order to turn the tide, Razor Fist encourages Katy during the middle of a battle.
- Greatness – Trevor and Katy bond over passions in their getaway car.
- Escape Tunnel – The gang slips out through Trevor’s escape tunnel in order to secure a getaway vehicle.
- Two Sons – Xu Wenwu compares Shang-Chi and Razor Fist during a tense dinner.
- Postcard – Shang-Chi and Xu Wenwu reunite as father and son. Shang-Chi makes it clear he disagrees with Xu Wenwu’s philosophy.
- Just Friends – Katy and Xialing get to know each other. Xialing asks Katy some personal questions.
- Do It Yourself – Xu Wenwu returns to his empire after the Iron Gang boss is captured.
- Building a Legacy – Go behind the scenes and explore Shang-Chi’s explosive debut in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- Family Ties – A deep dive into the rich but complicated legacy of Shang-Chi and Xu Wenwu.
- Audio Commentary – View the film with Audio Commentary by Destin Daniel Cretton and Dave Callaham.
Further below, after the break, you can find the trailer for the film and the full announcement regarding the home video release of this film.
– Amazon Commissions Earned –
BREAKING: Six well-known films have all been restored in 4K and will be getting an exclusive release on the 4K UHD Blu-ray format via what is being called the “Columbia Classics: 4K Ultra HD Collection – Volume 1“ box set, which is set for a June 16th release, via Sony. The set, a limited-edition collection, will be literally limited with only what is said to be fewer than 8 thousand units produced — as quoted below from the press release:
The six films in the COLUMBIA CLASSICS 4K ULTRA HD COLLECTION are only available on 4K Ultra HD disc within this special collector’s set with a limited-edition run of fewer than 8,000 units in the U.S
This 4K box set includes the following films:
- “A League of Their Own” (1992)
- directed by Penny Marshall
- “Dr. Stranglelove: Or How…” (1964)
- directed by Stanley Kubrick
- “Gandhi” (1982)
- directed by Richard Attenborough
- “Jerry Maguire” (1996)
- directed by Cameron Crowe
- “Lawrence of Arabia” (1962) [Restored]
- “Mr. Smith Goes to Washington” (1939)
UPDATE: I have now talked with the folks at Sony and have the full details on this release for you, via an extremely lengthy press release that you’ll be able to read in its entirety, further below after the break. The tech specs for the films include 4K video with HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range and a variety of Dolby Atmos and DTS-HD Master Audio sound mixes on the six different films. Lastly, regarding tech specs, it is worth noting that the film Gandhi will actually receive Dolby Vision and HDR10, in terms of video. You can find this 4K UHD Blu-ray box set already listed for preorder over at Amazon. Below (as mentioned) are the full details about this upcoming very limited box set.
The 2016 live-action adaptation of “The Jungle Book“ is coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on January 14th, 2020 via Disney, according to retailers. The film, directed by Jon Favreau, starred Neel Sethi and featured the voice talents of Bill Murray, Ben Kingsley, Idris Elba, Lupita Nyong’o, Scarlett Johansson, Giancarlo Esposito, Christopher Walken, and the late Garry Shandling. Tech specs and bonus materials for the release have not yet been detailed but stay tuned for an update on that. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with a Blu-ray Disc counterpart of the film (with bonus materials) and a digital code (copy) of the film. You can’t yet find the 4K UHD Blu-ray listed on Amazon, but stay tuned for an update on that. In the meantime, however, it is listed over at retailers Best Buy, Target, and Walmart. It’s worth noting that retailer Best Buy will also be getting an exclusive 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook of the film, which is now available for preorder (pictured below).