Amazon Commissions Earned
The “Sony Pictures Classics 30th Anniversary 4K Ultra HD Collection” is coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on November 22nd via Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. This limited edition box set includes a total of eleven Sony Pictures Classics films, listed below (in chronological order):
- “Orlando” (1992)
- “The Celluloid Closet” (1995)
- “The City of Lost Children” (1995)
- “SLC Punk!” (1998)
- “Run Lola Run” (1998)
- “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” (2000)
- “The Devil’s Backbone” (2001)
- “Volver” (2006)
- “Synecdoche, New York” (2008)
- “Still Alice” (2014)
- “Call Me by Your Name” (2017)
The tech specs for the films include 2160p video presentations with HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of high dynamic range. The films vary in their Audio configurations but start with DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Stereo and then go to DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround as well as on “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” not only do you get 5.1 but also a new Dolby Atmos sound mix — as well as Dolby Vision for the first time. NOTE: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon had previously been released on 4K UHD Blu-ray in 2016 with HDR10 and 5.1 surround. So, a total of 10 out of 11 of these films are exclusive to this box set.
You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray set available for preorder over at Amazon. Below you can find some details about the upcoming set and the bonus materials set to be included.
Celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Sony Pictures Classics with this limited edition box set:
- Limited edition gift set includes fully remastered 4K UHD disc debuts for ORLANDO, THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN, THE CELLULOID CLOSET, RUN LOLA RUN, SLC PUNK, THE DEVIL’S BACKBONE, VOLVER, SYNECDOCHE NEW YORK, STILL ALICE and CALL ME BY YOUR NAME – the only way to get these movies on 4K UHD, plus CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON with Dolby Vision
- All eleven films presented with Dolby Vision HDR for the most premium presentation possible
- CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON also includes Dolby Atmos audio; all films include original theatrical audio, as well
- Includes hours of special features across the films: a mix of archival materials and exciting new content
- Also includes a booklet with an all-new essay about the legacy of Sony Pictures Classics and details about the included films
Below, you can find a glimpse at the packaging for the set including the booklet (mentioned above).
UPDATE: And, below you can find the official trailer for this release.
Further below, after the break, you can find the full details and tech specs for the upcoming set.
Amazon Commissions Earned
The 2022 film adaptation of “Death on the Nile” is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on April 5th via 20th Century Studios (Disney). The film, based on the novel written by Agatha Christie, directed by and co-starring Kenneth Branagh, stars Tom Bateman, Annette Benning, Russell Brand, Ali Fazal, Dawn French, Gal Gadot, Armie Hammer, Rosie Leslie, Emma Mackey, Sophie Okonedo, Jennifer Saunders, and Letitia Wright.
The tech specs for the 4K release include a 2160p video presentation in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of high dynamic range and Dolby Atmos sound. Tech specs for the Blu-ray include a 1080p HD video presentation in the 2.39:1 aspect and DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 lossless surround sound. The 4K will come in the form of a “combo pack” including its Blu-ray Disc counterpart. Both releases will include a digital code (copy) of the film.
You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray available for preorder over at retailer Best Buy. These are not yet listed over at Amazon, but stay tuned for an update on that. The bonus materials set to be included with both the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray are listed below.
- Death on the Nile: Novel to Film – Explore the new vision for Agatha Christie’s classic novel DEATH ON THE NILE, and how Kenneth Branagh and screenwriter Michael Green collaborated with Christie’s estate to bring a new twist to this story of love and murder.
- Agatha Christie: Travel Can Be Murder – The story behind the book connects with Christie’s own love of travel, and especially Egypt and its secrets. Her legacy continues through her family and new generations of filmmakers and actors, all at once contributing to the immortality of her novels.
- Design on the Nile – The setting, the costumes, the photography, all contribute to the Agatha Christie touch. We take a fun tour of this “ship of suspects” and learn details about the overall look and design of everything from the characters to the environment.
- Branagh/Poirot – Kenneth Branagh is a one-of-a-kind artist who can switch hats with exceptional skill, playing Poirot one moment and directing the next. This piece pays tribute to Branagh’s ability to stay connected to his cast and creative team through it all.
- Deleted Scenes
- The Market
- Poirot’s Cabin
- Rosalie and Bouc Outside Temple
- Windlesham Jogging
- Poirot Discusses Case
- Poirot and Bouc Approach Jackie
- Confronting Bouc and the Otterbournes
- Poirot Orders Books
Further below, after the break, you can find the trailer for the film and the full announcement about the home video releases of the film.
Amazon Commissions Earned
There will be a “Columbia Classics 4K Ultra HD Collection Volume 2“ coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on October 12th via Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. The limited edition 6-film collection will include the following films:
- “Anatomy of a Murder” (1959)
- “Oliver!” (1968)
- “Taxi Driver” (1976)
- “Stripes” (1981)
- “Sense and Sensibility” (1995)
- “The Social Network” (2010)
These six different films spanning decades have all received 4K restorations and will be getting new sound mixes unless otherwise noted below. All of the films will be presented in 4K resolution with HDR10 form of high dynamic range. And, two films (“Taxi Driver” and “The Social Network”) will be presented in Dolby Vision form of HDR as well. All of the films with the exception of one (“Taxi Driver”) will also get new Dolby Atmos sound mixes as well as their original 5.1 and in some cases Mono lossless mixes. All of the details regarding those tech specs and such can be found a bit further below. All six films will get a digital code (copy) for each in 4K, via Movies Anywhere.
UPDATE: The release date has been pushed back yet again (to 10/12), from its originally slated 9/14 release. You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray set available for preorder over at Amazon. Via that preorder listing, you can find a hi-res image glimpse at the interior of the packaging (seen below).
The release will come with some physical extras in the form of an 80-page booklet and a bonus Blu-ray Disc that will feature 20 classic Columbia Pictures shorts in HD for the first time, including “The Three Stooges – Disorder in the Court” from 1936. The booklet will include six essays about each of the films and are detailed below.
“… six all-new incisive essays from renowned writers Julie Kirgo, John Kenrick, Glenn Kenny, Michael G. McDunnah, Kayti Burt and Nev Pierce.”
You can find the full details below after the break about this upcoming limited edition 4K UHD Blu-ray box set.
The 2019 film “Hotel Mumbai“ starring Dev Patel is coming to Blu-ray Disc on June 18th via Universal. The film, based on a true story and directed by Anthony Maras, features a supporting cast of Armie Hammer, Nazanin Boniadi, Anupam Kher, and Jason Isaacs. Tech specs for the Blu-ray include 1080p HD video in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio and DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound. The Blu-ray is available for pre-order over at Amazon and Best Buy. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with a DVD and digital copy of the film. Bonus materials set to be included on the release are listed below.
- Story and Cast
- Finding the True Story
- Humanity Within Tragedy
- Real-Life Heroes
The 2018 biographical drama “On the Basis of Sex“ starring Felicity Jones is coming to Blu-ray Disc on March 26th, via Universal – according to an early alert to a retailer. This movie is based on the real-life story of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. This was directed by Mimi Leder and features a supporting cast that includes Armie Hammer, Justin Theroux, Sam Waterston, Kathy Bates, Cailee Spaeny, and Stephen Root.
Tech specs and bonus materials for the Blu-ray have not yet been detailed. The title still has yet to be officially announced by the studio (Universal) for home video release, so stay tuned for confirmation and further details. It is also known that the release will include a Digital Copy of the film. You can find the Blu-ray available to pre-order now over at Amazon, Best Buy (where the release date is shown), and Walmart.
The 2018 Boots Riley written and directed film “Sorry to Bother You“ starring Lakeith Stanfield is coming to Blu-ray Disc on October 23rd via Fox Home Entertainment. The film, at time of writing this, is “Certified Fresh” over at Rotten Tomatoes where its carrying a 93% rating based on the critics’ reviews. This comedy co-stars Tessa Thompson, Jermaine Fowler, Omari Hardwick, Terry Crews, Danny Glover, Steven Yeun, Armie Hammer, Forest Whitaker, and also features the voices of David Cross, Patton Oswalt, and Lily James.
Tech specs include full 1080p video in the 2.40:1 aspect ratio and DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with a DVD and digital copy of the film being included. The title is available for PRE-ORDER now over at Amazon. Bonus materials set to be included on the release are listed below.
- Beautiful Clutter with Director Boots Riley
- Audio Commentary with Director Boots Riley
- The Cast of Sorry to Bother You
- The Art of the White Voice