Amazon Commissions Earned
The “Sony Pictures Classics 30th Anniversary 4K Ultra HD Collection” is coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on November 22nd via Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. This limited edition box set includes a total of eleven Sony Pictures Classics films, listed below (in chronological order):
- “Orlando” (1992)
- “The Celluloid Closet” (1995)
- “The City of Lost Children” (1995)
- “SLC Punk!” (1998)
- “Run Lola Run” (1998)
- “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” (2000)
- “The Devil’s Backbone” (2001)
- “Volver” (2006)
- “Synecdoche, New York” (2008)
- “Still Alice” (2014)
- “Call Me by Your Name” (2017)
The tech specs for the films include 2160p video presentations with HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of high dynamic range. The films vary in their Audio configurations but start with DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Stereo and then go to DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround as well as on “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” not only do you get 5.1 but also a new Dolby Atmos sound mix — as well as Dolby Vision for the first time. NOTE: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon had previously been released on 4K UHD Blu-ray in 2016 with HDR10 and 5.1 surround. So, a total of 10 out of 11 of these films are exclusive to this box set.
You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray set available for preorder over at Amazon. Below you can find some details about the upcoming set and the bonus materials set to be included.
Celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Sony Pictures Classics with this limited edition box set:
- Limited edition gift set includes fully remastered 4K UHD disc debuts for ORLANDO, THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN, THE CELLULOID CLOSET, RUN LOLA RUN, SLC PUNK, THE DEVIL’S BACKBONE, VOLVER, SYNECDOCHE NEW YORK, STILL ALICE and CALL ME BY YOUR NAME – the only way to get these movies on 4K UHD, plus CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON with Dolby Vision
- All eleven films presented with Dolby Vision HDR for the most premium presentation possible
- CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON also includes Dolby Atmos audio; all films include original theatrical audio, as well
- Includes hours of special features across the films: a mix of archival materials and exciting new content
- Also includes a booklet with an all-new essay about the legacy of Sony Pictures Classics and details about the included films
Below, you can find a glimpse at the packaging for the set including the booklet (mentioned above).
UPDATE: And, below you can find the official trailer for this release.
Further below, after the break, you can find the full details and tech specs for the upcoming set.
Amazon Commissions Earned
There will be a “Columbia Classics 4K Ultra HD Collection Volume 2“ coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on October 12th via Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. The limited edition 6-film collection will include the following films:
- “Anatomy of a Murder” (1959)
- “Oliver!” (1968)
- “Taxi Driver” (1976)
- “Stripes” (1981)
- “Sense and Sensibility” (1995)
- “The Social Network” (2010)
These six different films spanning decades have all received 4K restorations and will be getting new sound mixes unless otherwise noted below. All of the films will be presented in 4K resolution with HDR10 form of high dynamic range. And, two films (“Taxi Driver” and “The Social Network”) will be presented in Dolby Vision form of HDR as well. All of the films with the exception of one (“Taxi Driver”) will also get new Dolby Atmos sound mixes as well as their original 5.1 and in some cases Mono lossless mixes. All of the details regarding those tech specs and such can be found a bit further below. All six films will get a digital code (copy) for each in 4K, via Movies Anywhere.
UPDATE: The release date has been pushed back yet again (to 10/12), from its originally slated 9/14 release. You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray set available for preorder over at Amazon. Via that preorder listing, you can find a hi-res image glimpse at the interior of the packaging (seen below).
The release will come with some physical extras in the form of an 80-page booklet and a bonus Blu-ray Disc that will feature 20 classic Columbia Pictures shorts in HD for the first time, including “The Three Stooges – Disorder in the Court” from 1936. The booklet will include six essays about each of the films and are detailed below.
“… six all-new incisive essays from renowned writers Julie Kirgo, John Kenrick, Glenn Kenny, Michael G. McDunnah, Kayti Burt and Nev Pierce.”
You can find the full details below after the break about this upcoming limited edition 4K UHD Blu-ray box set.
The 2000 film “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon“ will be getting a limited edition 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook release on December 1st via Sony. The film, directed by Ang Lee, starred Chow Yun Fat, Michelle Yeoh, Zhang Ziyi, Chang Chen, Lang Sihung, and Cheng Pei Pei. The tech specs for the 4K release include a 2160p presentation in the 2.40:1 aspect ratio with Mandarin Dolby Atmos sound, with a Dolby TrueHD 7.1 core, and English subtitles, as well as English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning that it will include its Blu-ray Disc counterpart and a digital code (copy) of the film. You can now find the 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook of the film available for preorder over at Amazon. The bonus materials set to be included on the release will be identical to the previous extras found on the 2016 4K release of the film and are listed below.
- Six Deleted Scenes: presented in 4K Ultra HD with High Dynamic Range
- In-Depth Retrospective Interviews: Director Ang Lee, producer James Schamus and editor Tim Squyres discuss the making of the groundbreaking film
- Introduction to the Film and the Deleted Scenes by Director Ang Lee
- “A Love Before Time” Music Video: in English and Mandarin
- The Making of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
- Commentary with Ang Lee and James Schamus
- Commentary with Cinematographer Peter Pau
- A Conversation with Michelle Yeoh
- Photo Gallery
- Theatrical Trailer
Further below, after the break, you can find more details about the limited edition 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook release of the film.
The 2019 Ang Lee directed Action/Sci-Fi film “Gemini Man” starring Will Smith is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc on January 14th, 2020 via Paramount. The film co-stars Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Clive Owen, and Benedict Wong. Tech specs for the 4K release include HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of High Dynamic Range at 60 frames per second in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio and Dolby Atmos sound. NOTE: This is the first release to feature Dolby Vision at 60fps, versus the traditional 24fps. Tech specs for the Blu-ray have not yet been detailed but stay tuned for an update. Both releases will come in the form of a “combo pack” with the 4K getting the Blu-ray counterpart, the Blu-ray getting a DVD, and each getting a digital code (copy of the film) included. The 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Disc are both now available for preorder over at Amazon. It should be noted that retailer Best Buy will be getting an exclusive 4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook release (pictured below) which is now available for preorder as well.
The bonus materials set to be included are listed below.
- Alternate Opening
- Deleted Scenes
- The Genesis of Gemini Man
- Facing Your Younger Self
- The Future Is Now
- Setting the Action
- Next Level Detail
- The Vision of Ang Lee
ONLY AVAILABLE ON 4K ULTRA HD DISC
- Visual Effects Progression presented by WETA—In 60FPS, Ultra HD and High Dynamic Range
Further below, after the break, you can find the full announcement regarding the upcoming home video releases of this film.
The 2003 Ang Lee-directed film “Hulk“ starring Eric Bana is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on July 9th via Universal. The film featured a score by Danny Elfman, and was not part of the “Marvel Cinematic Universe” but it was based on the Marvel Comics character – created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. Hulk featured a supporting cast comprised of Jennifer Connelly, Sam Elliott, Nick Nolte, and Josh Lucas. There also were even cameos by Lou Ferrigno and the late Stan Lee in the film both as security guards.
Tech specs for the 4K release include 2160p video in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio with HDR10 form of High Dynamic Range and DTS:X sound on a BD-100 (100 gigabytes) disc. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with a Blu-ray and a digital copy of the film (compatible with Movies Anywhere) included. You can find the 4K UHD Blu-ray now available for pre-order over at Amazon and Walmart. There is no word yet of any retailer exclusives coming for this release. Bonus materials set to be included are listed below.
- Feature Audio Commentary with Director Ang Lee [on 4K & Blu-ray]
Extras located on the Blu-ray Disc:
- Deleted Scenes
- Evolution of The Hulk
- The Incredible Ang Lee
- The Dog Fight Scene
- The Making of Hulk
- The Unique Style of Editing Hulk
- U-Control: Picture in Picture