The 1928 silent film “The Man Who Laughs“ starring Conrad Veidt and Mary Philbin is coming to Blu-ray Disc on June 4th, via Flicker Alley. The film has received a new 4K restoration, done by NBC Universal Studio Post. This release will feature a newly recorded orchestral score by the Berklee School of Music as well as the original score. It will come as a “Deluxe Dual-Format Edition” with a DVD of the film also included. The Blu-ray is now available for pre-order over at Amazon. Bonus materials set to be included on the release are listed below.
- Paul Leni and The Man Who Laughs: A visual essay by film historian and author, John Soister, on Leni s work at Universal during this period.
- Celebrating Universal’s Masterpiece: A new booklet essay written by renowned film historian and author, Kevin Brownlow.
- Notes On the New Score: A short essay by composer Sonia Coronado of the Berklee School of Music on their new score for The Man Who Laughs.
- Optional Secondary Audio Track: In addition to the new Berklee School of Music score, the film s original 1928 Movietone score presented here as a secondary audio track.
- Rare Image Gallery: A slide show presentation of vintage marketing materials, trade ads, memorabilia, and more from The Man Who Laughs, courtesy of the Reel Heroes of Film.
On a related note: The 1929 Paul Leni directed silent film “The Last Warning“ is also coming to Blu-ray Disc on June 4th via Flicker Alley. That film also has received a 4K restoration.
Further below, after the break, you can find more details about this upcoming release of The Man Who Laughs.
It sure seems that Fox Home Entertainment also plans to bring a “Predator 3-Movie Collection” to 4K UHD Blu-ray on the same date as the first film, August 7th. The collection will include the films “Predator” (1987), “Predator 2” (1990), and “Predators” (2010). Those films were directed by John McTiernan, Stephen Hopkins, and Nimród Antal. Tech specs and bonus materials have not yet been detailed, as the studio has yet to even officially announce either this or the individual release of the first film – as I had previously reported on.
I actually found this just browsing around, and at this point I wouldn’t even call it a “rumor” anymore, as we well know that the first film is coming, but now get a confirmation (of sorts) via a PRE-ORDER listing over at Amazon for this, carrying the exact same release date (8/7). Stay tuned for further updates. Also remember that the first film, “Predator“, is (as mentioned) getting its own individual release on 4K UHD Blu-ray.
UPDATE: It appears that we are going to also see individual releases for both sequels “Predator 2” and “Predators” on 4K UHD Blu-ray as well. No pre-order listings are available yet on Amazon, but stay tuned for an update when they become available. The artwork for the two titles can be found below.
Retailer Best Buy is getting an exclusive Steelbook for the 4K UHD Blu-ray release of Michael Bay films “Bad Boys I & II” on September 4th via Sony. If you’re looking for more info on the 4K release of these films, refer back to what I had reported near the end of May. Tech specs for the 4K UHD Blu-ray release include full 2160p video with HDR10 type High Dynamic Range, said to be fully restored with Dolby Atmos sound for both films.
The 2002 film “National Lampoon’s Van Wilder” starring Ryan Reynolds is coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on August 14th via Lionsgate, in an UNRATED version. Tech specs for the release include full 2160p 4K video in both HDR (HDR10) and Dolby Vision High Dynamic Range options, with Dolby Atmos sound. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” with a Blu-ray Disc and Digital Copy of the film included. The title is not yet available for pre-order over at Amazon, alternatively it is now available for PRE-ORDER over at Best Buy. Bonus materials set to be included on the release are housed on the Blu-ray Disc included, which are listed below.
BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
- “Party Legends, Pledges, and ‘Bull’-ies” Featurette
- Drunken Idiot “Kommentary”
- “Ultimate College Party Guide” Featurette
- “Gwen-ezuma’s Revenge” Featurette
- “Testicles of the Animal Kingdom” Interactive Quizzicle
- “Write That Down” Quotes from and Inspired by the Film
- Sugarcult “Bouncing Off the Walls” Music Video
- Deleted Scenes
- Burly TV Specials, “Half Baked,” “Imposter,” “Movie Junky”
- Comedy Central’s “Reel Comedy: National Lampoon’s Van Wilder”
- Van Wilder Blu-Book Exam: Exclusive Blu-ray Interactive Game