The musical “1776“ will officially be celebrating its 50th anniversary with a 4K UHD Blu-ray release on May 31st via Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. The 1972 film adaptation of the Tony Award-winning Broadway musical (of the same title), directed by Peter H. Hunt, starred William Daniels, Howard Da Silva, Ken Howard, Donald Madden, Blythe Danner, John Cullum, Roy Poole, David Ford, and Virginia Vestoff. It’s most certainly worth noting that this will include the 165-minute Director’s Cut and the 167-minute Extended Cut forms of the film. In addition to that, the original 1972 Theatrical (in HD) and 1992 Laserdisc (in SD) presentations will be included on Blu-ray. More on that a bit later.
The tech specs on the 4K UHD Blu-ray include a 2160p video presentation in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio with Dolby Vision and HDR10 forms of high dynamic range as well as Dolby Atmos and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 lossless surround sound. The release will come in the form of a “combo pack” meaning that it will include its Blu-ray Disc counterpart (of the Director’s Cut and Extended Cut) as well as a digital code (copy) of the film.
There will be bonus materials on this release, spanning across the 3-disc set, with the latter two discs containing the following extras.
1776 BLU-RAY FEATURE DISC
- Includes both the 165-minute Director’s Cut and the 167-minute Extended Cut
- Both versions presented in High Definition with 5.1 audio
- Special Features:
- Commentary with Peter H. Hunt, William Daniels & Ken Howard (Director’s Cut only)
- Commentary with Peter H. Hunt and Peter Stone (Director’s Cut only)
- Deleted & Alternate Scenes with Director Commentary
- 9 Screen Tests
- Teaser & Theatrical Trailers
1776 BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURE DISC
- 1972 Theatrical Version of the Film (presented in HD with original mono audio)
- 1992 Laserdisc Version of the Film (presented in SD with stereo audio)
- Includes optional archival commentary featuring director Peter H. Hunt
Further below, after the break, you can find the full announcement about the 50th anniversary home video release of this film.